From Wigfrid to WX - Eating ALL of the things!

So I used to play WX more or less exclusively but maybe a year ago or so I changed to Wigfrid and absolutely fell in love with her. I've been playing her since only swapping to others on occasion for specific tasks (Warly for special foods and spices, Walter to carry heavy stuff etc) or to create little villages or special structures (Wurt, Winona etc) but always swapping back to Wigfrid as soon as possible.

I really love the meat only diet and the restrictions it presents and have become extremely used to it and well versed in all of the meat dishes but I've just recently started playing WX again properly, mainly to use my new Rook Costume, and oh my god is the dietary restriction a bigger deal than I thought or remember. Just popping seeds, berries, carrots and whatnot straight into my mouth is crazy, gone are the days of having to carefully cook huge amounts of food then carry them around in Ice Chester or bundling wraps, gone are the days of ensuring there are various meat sources at all my outposts or mini bases just in case.

I can spend full moons making more Moon Caller Staffs or doing whatever I want really instead of slaughtering endless werepigs for their juicy meat. I can actually eat the seeds and berries I get from tumbleweeds instead of casting them aside to create even more rot in a world that is always abundant with rot (world regrowth is high, also long term world with various farms set up that create rot if foods etc aren't harvested in time). If I'm feeling lazy I can even just take stacks of honey with me as food... Oh and I can actually dry my Kelp and eat it now as additional "jerky" instead of purely using it as filler!

In every biome I can simply utilize whatever minor food sources are available such as Cacti, Birchnuts, Butterflies etc to keep me constantly going. I wonder if WX could theoretically survive on nothing but tumbleweed foods... only berries and seeds and the occasional frog, honey or monster meat but you also get the occasional gear you can eat.... hmmmmmm

Then there's the fact that spoiling food still provides full benefits to WX AND his favourite food is butter muffins!! One of the easiest to make dishes especially if you have any sort of butter farm set up (penned catcoons work wonders). I used to simply leave the wings for the Catcoons or to become rot but now they have become an extremely useful food source. Also once he's upgraded with gears he has a pretty high max hunger.

It's just such a shock even though I have obviously gone from one of the characters with the most restrictive diets to one with one of the least restrictive and with other eating perks how much of a huge difference this makes. Its literally like the food part of the game went down to the easiest setting.

Now I just gotta see if I can still beat all the bosses as WX without any damage boost or damage reduction anymore. Using more resources in battles will obviously be the trade off for food no longer being anywhere near as important to manage. Our new friends the Moths can likely help me make some additional Thul Clubs to maybe help in this regard.

Everything I'm saying is obvious I know but I just wanted to share what a shock it was changing character from Wigfrid to WX and the endless possibilities of food I now have to consume and enjoy. Gives me more reason to fill out the 6 max combos for every veggie recipe in the cookbook now!

If anyone has any additional tips for playing WX I'd love to hear them as it has been quite sometime since I played him. Is there any way to utilize the overcharged mechanic if you are on your own without a Wickerbottom in DST? I have a walled in pen of Volt Goats but when they're charged they smash their walls so I'd rather not charge them to be honest =/ Are their any other perks of his I am forgetting? I'm being extra careful of rain now and making sure I barely get wet. Thanks in advance for any advice~

31 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Is there any way to utilize the overcharged mechanic if you are on your own without a Wickerbottom in DST? I have a walled in pen of Volt Goats but when they're charged they smash their walls so I'd rather not charge them to be honest =/ Are their any other perks of his I am forgetting? I'm being extra careful of rain now and making sure I barely get wet. Thanks in advance for any advice~

Electric damage from goats will not overcharge you. You can utilize enraged moslings (they don't damage walls) or telelocator staffs to summon lightning.

P.S. It's niche, but I believe that taking damage from rain can ward off charlie.

Yeah, Wigfrids diet seems fine at first until you consider just the lack of verity and options of food you can use. You don't really have lazy options like honey or rock avocados and as such you have constantly be at the crockpot making dishes to satiate your hunger. It is the tupe of downside where you don't really know how bad it is until you personally experience it. I also like how Wurt and Wigfrid are dietary foils of each other as one has an oysters worth of wild food, but little proper crockpot dishes, while the other has a strict selection of wild game to choose from, but has the cream of the crop of crockpot dishes.

3 minutes ago, Crestwave said:

telelocator staffs to summon lightning

To add onto this, getting yourself a pet would be the best way to farm this as they would take no lightning damage and would immediatly come back to you.

22 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

I'm being extra careful of rain now and making sure I barely get wet.

Hold a umbrella and wear a helmet to provide a 100% water proof buff without lighning immunity. Get the best of both worlds!

24 minutes ago, Crestwave said:

Electric damage from goats will not overcharge you. You can utilize enraged moslings (they don't damage walls) or telelocator staffs to summon lightning.

P.S. It's niche, but I believe that taking damage from rain can ward off charlie.

Interesting, might need to start using telelocator staff on occasion to charge up, thank you!

17 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

Yeah, Wigfrids diet seems fine at first until you consider just the lack of verity and options of food you can use. You don't really have lazy options like honey or rock avocados and as such you have constantly be at the crockpot making dishes to satiate your hunger. It is the tupe of downside where you don't really know how bad it is until you personally experience it. I also like how Wurt and Wigfrid are dietary foils of each other as one has an oysters worth of wild food, but little proper crockpot dishes, while the other has a strict selection of wild game to choose from, but has the cream of the crop of crockpot dishes.

To add onto this, getting yourself a pet would be the best way to farm this as they would take no lightning damage and would immediatly come back to you.

Hold a umbrella and wear a helmet to provide a 100% water proof buff without lighning immunity. Get the best of both worlds!

Yeah exactly! It's very hard to eat on the go with her unless you constantly kill mobs that drop meat and even then you'll want filler to enhance the meat in a crockpot dish which means you need to find filler that is inedible on its own taking additional slots in your backpack. I definitely find it best to cook large amounts of meals at once with her and then do so again whenever you are running low. I've only played Wurt a little bit to create some Merm villages and yeah I just ate bits and pieces as I went. Yeah most of the best crockpot meals are all meat based anyway which is something I like about the meat only diet; you still have a range of fancy and effective meals you just gotta source the various ingredients.

Eugh I normally hate pets (the constant whining) but I may adopt one for a while if it helps with overcharging when I want.
Yeah I'm just so used to using the Eyebrella for rain, I'll have to swap to Umbrella + Helmet to avoid rain but still get charged, thanks for the handy tip!

I played WX for a very long time in my solo world, (like 2500 days before I switched I think, although the celestial portal wasn't a thing until after 2000 or so of those days) almost purely because he's a big ol' waste disposal unit and I hate mess on the ground. I even eat rot as him if it's clogging up my inventory and there's no where to store/burn it. Occasionally a friend would pop into my world and overcharge me as Wicker for a few seasons but most the time I made do with telelocator staffs right before a boss/ruins and before I got really lazy I'd fight every group of mooslings I could find to get a decent charge for spring/summer. When I used the staffs I'd go to a fairly open space and teleport birds for the first 3 or 4 uses and if any nightmares spawned towards the end I'd teleport them away with the final charges.

A big down side to WX now we have the celestial portal is the gear loss when switching which makes switching to and from him something you need to plan around. Like right now I'm not WX and I'm trying to get a bunch of different jobs done before switching back to him and investing more gears again. I know it's not hard to find more gears, but it still feels wasteful and as a massive hoarder it pains me to lose a resource like that.

And when it comes to Wigfrid, I get that people want to convince others that she's not insanely overpowered but come on, she can pop monster meat like it's candy and make back the health/sanity by fighting more monsters. Sure it's annoying not being able to munch on foraged foods on the go but she has this whole other convenient food source to compensate for it that is (usually) not eaten unless in a crockpot dish by other characters.

8 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

A good friend for long travels with both wurt and wigfrid are dried foods such as kelp and jerky

Oh I love me some good jerky, now with WX I can eat the dried kelp AS WELL! ^^

7 hours ago, D7X said:

I played WX for a very long time in my solo world, (like 2500 days before I switched I think, although the celestial portal wasn't a thing until after 2000 or so of those days) almost purely because he's a big ol' waste disposal unit and I hate mess on the ground. I even eat rot as him if it's clogging up my inventory and there's no where to store/burn it. Occasionally a friend would pop into my world and overcharge me as Wicker for a few seasons but most the time I made do with telelocator staffs right before a boss/ruins and before I got really lazy I'd fight every group of mooslings I could find to get a decent charge for spring/summer. When I used the staffs I'd go to a fairly open space and teleport birds for the first 3 or 4 uses and if any nightmares spawned towards the end I'd teleport them away with the final charges.

A big down side to WX now we have the celestial portal is the gear loss when switching which makes switching to and from him something you need to plan around. Like right now I'm not WX and I'm trying to get a bunch of different jobs done before switching back to him and investing more gears again. I know it's not hard to find more gears, but it still feels wasteful and as a massive hoarder it pains me to lose a resource like that.

And when it comes to Wigfrid, I get that people want to convince others that she's not insanely overpowered but come on, she can pop monster meat like it's candy and make back the health/sanity by fighting more monsters. Sure it's annoying not being able to munch on foraged foods on the go but she has this whole other convenient food source to compensate for it that is (usually) not eaten unless in a crockpot dish by other characters.

Yeah I often burn stacks of rot at a time just to get rid of it, especially in winter when the intense heat is fine. Thanks for the Telelocator staff tips!

Mmmm I did realise that before swapping to him and now that I have I guess I'd better get my moneys worth so I'm not wasting gears for no reason, I am also a massive hoarder and using up 15 of my 300 or so gears is still painful haha. Especially when they only have two sources once all your clockworks are dead - resetting ruins or tumbleweeds. Oh I guess Sunken Chests can also have gears but they are rare and even rarer that they will contain gears.

Oh I massively agree re Wigfrid's diet, once you are used to the Meat diet its fine you just have to play with it in mind and prepare accordingly but all the best dishes are meat, she can still eat jellybeans and yeah exactly if lazy/desperate you can literally just eat monster meat and regain your stats in combat. Also Leafy Meat now having recipes is crazy strong with her, set up a decent sized lureplant farm and that alone can keep you going. Same goes for a Bunnyman Farm, Merm or Pig Farm and even Barnacle farms can feed you for a while. Not sure I agree that shes overpowered but is for sure one of the stronger characters. I had just forgotten how easy/helpful it is to literally be able to eat everything as you find it or on the go.

Archived