About Wilderness mode

I've always wondered why doesn't the wilderness mode allow resurrection exactly like in DS: no ghost, but if you are attuned to meat effigy or actively wear a LGA you revive immediately, so you have at least a safe net before losing it all. I think it would make sense since those items have no use in wilderness (you probably can't craft them, I'm not sure)

Wilderness is also currently the least popular game mode, its there, but rarely seen outside of PVP (and even in PVP its also uncommon). The penalty when you die is too harsh: I actually don't mind showing up in a random spot, I think what makes it an inconvenient mode is losing all your knowledge.

Would a player made way to resurrect, DS style, make the mode a bit more popular? Would you play it? Do you like/play it as it is? I'm interested in opinions.

I for one love Wilderness (and play it on personal servers) for its nice spot between an "uncompromising adventure" and fact one doesn't actually lose the world. Progress penalty in case of death seems fair to me in DS context. Wish this game-mode was more prevalent, yet the con seems to be quite a deterrent for most players. And I also believe is a matter of coverage/awareness regarding said mode in bulk player-base.

Currently Wilderness is glitched on Xbox one and not actually selectable due to jumping past that option- But when I COULD play it I loved it.

I loved being able to start by pressing the random character button and then when I die out on my adventures pick another character- I used to use this mode to play as every character ONCE & pretend like once they died I couldn’t select playing as them again for that world ever again.

Keeping knowledge learned when you died would completely DESTROY this mode for me.

The TL:DR- this mode allowed me to tell my own stories of life & death for each survivor, and it was fun playing this way!

I don’t mind not having Revive items available in this mode, because I used it as a way of telling each characters adventure & failure- being able to revive would take away from that for me.

Its fun to also discard that way of play and sometimes just hit the “Random” button each time you die too.

Absolutely one of my favorite parts of the game. I love going into an unoccupied, wilderness server and just exploring.

I ADORE finding little settlements, using some items, putting some items away, and then looking around some more.

Found a dead body? Neat! Had 20 grass on them, rot, a winter hat, and some useless junk.

I die to something stupid? Refresh! Maybe you will find your stuff fast, maybe not.

It feels far more like a survival game with past players skeletons dotting the map, burnt settlements, farms left unattended, birds dead, glommer and chester just chillin somewhere. Going into a random server on a Friday night and spending a few hours exploring a world left behind is one of the most fun and interesting parts of this game.

If only others felt that way...

On 11/10/2020 at 8:19 AM, Mike23Ua said:

I loved being able to start by pressing the random character button and then when I die out on my adventures pick another character- I used to use this mode to play as every character ONCE & pretend like once they died I couldn’t select playing as them again for that world ever again.

Ah, so Don't Starve Together:  Nuzlocke Run!  :D

I myself have only tried Wilderness Mode a couple times, so my opinion on it might not be that knowledgeable.  But I started off as Wigfrid, she had a Very Bad Day in the spring, and then Wickerbottom popped in.  Thing is, despite the randomisation of your starting location, I found familiar landmarks like RIGHT away and took over Wigfrid's old base by the end of _that day_.  So I don't feel I had the "proper" Wilderness experience.

Sure, my GAME map was gone, but my REAL brain still remembered stuff like:  "Oh right, when you see that area with a triangle where a birch forest, a rockland and a savannah meet, you're at the beefalo and the base is in the meadow north from there", so...

I'm a Survival player at heart, but if given the choice of ONLY one of the other two modes, I'd pick Wilderness every time.  Endless feels like cheating to me.

...Notorious

Archived