What should I take with me into the Ancient Archives?

Greetings and a very spooky Hallowed Nights to you all!

I am currently going crazy with the Hallowed Nights content as it is my first time, I'm making spooky forests and creating Carrats and Saladmanders all over the mainland while also stocking up on a silly amount of Candy and Healing/Sanity Potions.

I'm planning on going into the Caves for Summer (and likely most of Autumn) to explore the new biomes and to get the three recipes from the Fountains of Knowledge or whatever they're called. Ideally I'd love to stay in the Caves for the entirety of this adventure as I'd like all my crops, plants etc etc to stay crisp and I want to avoid the summer heat completely without having to use flingos. I'm all good for food, sanity, weapons etc (Wigfrid so basic resources and gold are more or less all I need for Combat! - unless I should be taking stronger gear for certain mobs?) and its a long term world (day 3000+). What I'd really like to know is if there are any specific resources I am going to need down in the Archives to progress/unlock things/do everything you currently can down there - do I randomly need Bone Shards, Silk, Nitre, specific gems or anything else random? I know to take the Iridescent Gem with me but honestly that is about it! Any advice, knowledge or tips (with less spoilers if possible just required resources I should take etc) from those who have already explored the new biomes would be highly appreciated! I'm on ps4 just for the record and reference! Thanks in advance!

Many Thanks! I'll make sure to take some bug nets, bundling wraps and a few glass cutters. Forgot all about wraps for the new foods!

The Flying Light Bug things, can they be brought up to the surface? Also do they Starve or perish if you catch them then release them? Would be pretty awesome to have some throughout your base to accompany the fire flies.

31 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Many Thanks! I'll make sure to take some bug nets, bundling wraps and a few glass cutters. Forgot all about wraps for the new foods!

The Flying Light Bug things, can they be brought up to the surface? Also do they Starve or perish if you catch them then release them? Would be pretty awesome to have some throughout your base to accompany the fire flies.

I'm yet to try, i've only taken some to light up ruins area; but i think they do, which is awesome. I have to explore their mechanics more, but they're an awesome addition tbh. Another cool fact is that you can use lunar essence from mad science lab on regular lightbulbs to turn them into bulbus guys.

15 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

I'm yet to try, i've only taken some to light up ruins area; but i think they do, which is awesome. I have to explore their mechanics more, but they're an awesome addition tbh. Another cool fact is that you can use lunar essence from mad science lab on regular lightbulbs to turn them into bulbus guys.

Hmmm if you can use the lunar potion on them then I imagine you can just create them on the surface from lightbulbs! Yeah they seem really cool, I might move a bunch to the ruins as well or maybe even make a road out of them in the caves. Let me know if you discover any more tricks or mechanics to do with them! thanks again

For a light source, I personally use a miners hat/lantern for exploring it and moggles once it has been activated (to better help against the sentrypedes). Can't go wrong with some Glass Cutters, Tentacle Spikes, Hambats, or even Spears; I personally wouldn't bring a dark sword because of the greater gestalts if I reactivate the archives. Beyond that, I also prefer log suits for my armor, but that's my own opinion.

If you plan on farming Thulecite Fragments for awhile be sure to stock up on nitre and salt to create collected dust, otherwise I would certainly recommend an opulent pickaxe to take care of all the boulders and statues down below. best of luck to your run.

49 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

Iridescent gem, bugnet to catch bulbus guys, bundling wraps to wrap moon shrooms and batnoses for later cooking; Glass cutter if you want to farm shadows after you activate the event, or bone helm if you'd rather sit back and watch.

Gestalts disintegrate the nightmare fuel that the nightmares would drop, so sitting around with a Bone Helm is nothing but a waste of time. (If you are trying to farm fuel that is; it's pretty good for ignoring the war.)

45 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Bulbous Lightbugs are easily one of the best additions to the game. The ones in your inventory will starve in 2 days (4 with an insulated pack), but any veggie will bring them back to full freshness. Free lightbugs do not starve. (And FYI that's the case for every critter that can starve in your inventory.) And yes they can be brought to the surface.

More importantly, in case you don't know, having even 1 captive lightbug in your inventory/backpack will draw free lightbugs to you and make them orbit you indefinitely (well, until their captive "leader" dies), so they'll light your way without the need for a lantern or miner hat.

Only issue is that they can be attacked by other mobs (Catcoons, Hounds, etc.), which causes them to disperse for a while, but I find it's pretty easy to stockpile them (they stack up to 20) and by the time you need to refill, more will have grown in the lunar grotto. Oh, and they are kinda buggy right now, which makes them go brrrrr towards the origin sometimes when their formation disperses.

3 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Gestalts disintegrate the nightmare fuel that the nightmares would drop, so sitting around with a Bone Helm is nothing but a waste of time. (If you are trying to farm fuel that is; it's pretty good for ignoring the war.)

Really? I did not activate it yet, but in the beta they dropped nmfuel without me touching them, at least when i played.

2 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

Really? I did not activate it yet, but in the beta they dropped nmfuel without me touching them, at least when i played.

Yeah, the devs had forgotten to give nightmare the necessary tag to prevent them from dropping fuel when killed. It has been fixed.

You can still fight in the war though. The nightmare spawn rate is a definite improvement over normal insanity, but the greater gestalts can steal kills from you, which introduces some inconsistency. 

24 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

For a light source, I personally use a miners hat/lantern for exploring it and moggles once it has been activated (to better help against the sentrypedes). Can't go wrong with some Glass Cutters, Tentacle Spikes, Hambats, or even Spears; I personally wouldn't bring a dark sword because of the greater gestalts if I reactivate the archives. Beyond that, I also prefer log suits for my armor, but that's my own opinion.

If you plan on farming Thulecite Fragments for awhile be sure to stock up on nitre and salt to create collected dust, otherwise I would certainly recommend an opulent pickaxe to take care of all the boulders and statues down below. best of luck to your run.

Thank you! I do want to setup Thulecite Farms so I'll make sure to take a stack of Nitre and a stack of Salt.

Archived