Partial evaporation (flaking) on insulated tiles

While setting up my LOX/LH production setup I've found an interesting bug/feature.

In general insulated tiles have close to no thermal exchange with liquids in normal setup. Although placing cold (below condensation), thermally conductive spike just touching the LOX surface causes flaking and stealing temperature from insulated tile next to the LOX tile which touches the cold spike.
image.thumb.png.b0bdc864bfd5a4f39b5ddf79c5a1e81f.png
The better thermal conductivity of the spike the more aggressive flaking is. Material of insulated tile does not matter. Works even with insulated insulation.

image.thumb.png.121d189cd01b7a236f6633fe1985f708.png

Sometimes after flaking has started it goes crazy and starts to flake off of different tiles causing overall boiling and pressure damage on condensing. Cold insulated tiles - result of this process.
image.thumb.png.ee9da116fdb2539f734be069b991b200.png

Maybe somebody knows better what exactly happening here.

Save file is attached.

Sandbox.sav

Ive run into this issue too, kind of partually ruins the purpose of insulation.

I resorted to just lining the walls and floor of a basin for LOX, LH2 or LCO2 with metal tiles to combat this. 

Could it be the same issue that leads to hot abyssalite in an oil biome flashing crude oil to petroleum or sour gas too? 

1 hour ago, Lilscratchy said:

Could it be the same issue that leads to hot abyssalite in an oil biome flashing crude oil to petroleum or sour gas too? 

Flaking is definitely why hot abyssalite causes crude oil to flash to petroleum or sour gas. The "problem" with it is that it completely bypasses thermal conductivity. Noone really cares if ,e.g., hot igneous rock boils water, only when abyssalite and insulation which are expected to *not* transfer heat suddenly start boiling things.

But I think @Cybeon's question is different. It's why insulation will only sometimes cause flaking. It looks like the tests were all created in debug. That causes a slightly artificial condition that all the liquid is at exactly the same temperature.  I know some checks are only performed when temperature changes.  Could that be why your thermal spike is causing flaking?

2 hours ago, Lilscratchy said:

Sure it's the same mechanics. though I've never seen it with insulated tiles before and didn't see anything about it on the forum (I looked before creating the topic). I understand how to avoid this happening. Now it's more like curiosity whether it's a bug why it happens and what we can do with it :)

49 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

It looks like the tests were all created in debug. That causes a slightly artificial condition that all the liquid is at exactly the same temperature.  I know some checks are only performed when temperature changes.  Could that be why your thermal spike is causing flaking?

I don't think that sandbox is the issue, I've discovered this in survival. I had no issues with flaking until I have built that spike to keep LOX in the tank colder. Then I've discovered that 1 insulated tile diagonally to the spike started to cause flaking. I decided to test it in sandbox to understand better.

Also even after flaking goes full on crazy, removing the spike almost instantly makes it to stop. At his point we are not talking about same temperatures anymore.

Liquids have to be 3C below their evaporation point in order to flake. In the save, the pools are too hot to flake except where they are cooled by the spike. The greater the conductivity of the spike, the faster the liquid in contact with it drops below the critical flaking temperature.

37 minutes ago, wachunga said:

Liquids have to be 3C below their evaporation point in order to flake. In the save, the pools are too hot to flake except where they are cooled by the spike. The greater the conductivity of the spike, the faster the liquid in contact with it drops below the critical flaking temperature.

I did not know about this part of the flake mechanics. Where did you get this info?

It gives me some ideas to test. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Cybeon said:

Where did you get this info?

Experimentation. -186C liquid oxygen flakes while -185C does not.

If you want to be super precise:

Liquid oxygen has a boiling point of 90.19K (found in \OxygenNotIncluded\OxygenNotIncluded_Data\StreamingAssets\elements\liquid.yaml)

Use debug to paint in Liquid oxygen at 87.19K and at 87.1899K next to insulated insulation tiles.

87.1899K flakes while 87.19K does not.

Archived