Let's make music with the hammer

Hey guys I've been checking and I don't see that anyone has really made music with the hammer, with the exception of a grind this game video where he made a little bit of bach play, but it wasn't the whole song. Also he wasn't using the hammer but was having a dupe run across weight plates.

I'm thinking about undertaking this but I'm not a musician at all so I'd welcome some input from this fine community. I'll explain my current thoughts and ideas and you guys please chime in on what you think or if you'd like to help. First off, I found this link to a couple users that made a rough list of the sounds that are created by hammer strikes:

However this isn't exhaustive and looks like they used a phone app to analyze the tones. I'm thinking I should start by finding a computer program that can analyze the audio from my PC and identify the tones more precisely. My inclination is to use various lengths of pipe or wire to make the melody (guitar/piano), and use some of the more interesting sounding buildings as drums and other off sounds like wah-wah-pedal and such.

One of the problems of course is tempo. How do we adjust the timing of the notes when tempo changes? One possible way would be manually adjusting the game speed as the song plays. Certainly possible but then we wouldn't really be able to provide save files so people can play it themselves. They'd have to actually learn the timing for the song.

From looking at the video from Grind This Game, at first I wondered if we could use dupes with specific run speeds moving across weight plates to change the tempo at certain times during the song. Unfortunately, when you use dupes with higher run speeds I've found they end up moving so fast that the automation circuit stays green the whole time and doesn't cycle at all. 

So it looks like we're stuck with the tempos set by the game speed, unless someone has any other ideas. Thanks guys.

31 minutes ago, JRup said:

There might be cake with this one: Still Alive.

Ah that's very nice. I just wish they had shown the hammer hitting the pipes, it would have been more satisfying. Seems like this person probably made a map for themselves already to figure out which lengths of pipe make which notes. The text is in Korean so that explains why I didn't see it :D

17 hours ago, Satyrical364 said:

However this isn't exhaustive and looks like they used a phone app to analyze the tones.

I should`ve finished that. It just took me moe time than i anticipated and i got bored. Nobody was really interested in my list so i forgot about it.

Anyway i pointed out the buildings that made interesting sounds rather than ones that could be used for music. For music you should probably use pipes and wires as their tone changes based on their lenght. You should probably start with those.

5 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

For music you should probably use pipes and wires as their tone changes based on their lenght.

Yeah for sure. I still think some of the building sounds might be fun accent noises though in some songs. My life has been a little hectic lately but hopefully I'll have the energy for this sometime soon.

I have a feeling the hammer and musical inclination might not be very interesting to a lot of the types who play ONI (its certainly not why anyone would purchase ONI), so maybe that's why it wasn't done much. But I think it definitely will be fun to figure out. 

Archived