Fluid mechanics

The way I remember it, water (and other fluids) had an unrealistic model. They’d fall down, but there was no concept of water pressure, and a U-trap would block water because water wouldn’t rise on the other side of the trap. I know I built structures with this in mind. Mostly in the Oil biome.

Either this is no longer the case, or it was never the case and I misunderstood what was going on.

Recently I dug up toward a big pool of salt water in a Oceania asteroid. I can’t see the top, so I entered from bottom. I built a U-trap with a pump in it, and then dug upward to the bottom of the pool.

Water definitely started rising on the other side of the trap. I was able to contain it by quickly putting in an airlock door, so it didn’t flood my base, but I was definitely surprised.

2 hours ago, mathmanican said:

You CAN use a different liquid to trap things in. 

or it can become trapped if there is a trapped packet of gas to stop it.

Same old rules apply - one element per tile, 1g of oil will stop infinite tons of water, etc etc. Likewise 1g of a trapped gas can do the same.

Liquid mechanics did change somehow, i have seen some weird behavior on the latest update on what were thousand cycles old stable builds.

That molten lead had never ever reached that place:

Spoiler

1013507970_Capturadepantalla(459).thumb.png.7f6a6837e3163721c15f2dad63edf43f.png

I had to block this liquid lock to prevent a catastrophe:

Spoiler

2105299230_Capturadepantalla(458).thumb.png.910a1a3c2e21d6af7714563ce1b5276a.png

Spoiler

1669861418_Capturadepantalla(457).thumb.png.38e403dc2ca087e13888e1fdd23fd98a.png

I had to expand the room and place a door later.

1 hour ago, melquiades said:

Liquid mechanics did change somehow, i have seen some weird behavior on the latest update on what were thousand cycles old stable builds.

I've seen 300g of oil just flip out into water in a steam room and vanish suddenly, so I do think something is up if this wasn't the case before the latest patch.

Archived