Sad steam is sad...

Hi!

On my latest foray with disappearing steam and whatnot I came across this particular situation:
241130916_Giftsteam.png.665e11ae6b3ddcf2b2d19a2a9dfd42a5.png

I'm currently on the process of remodeling that steam chamber to at least have it work a little better... It will take some dupe work I reckon ... Ah, dangit, just when I was getting to building a hot ethanol plant just because I like to live dangerously...

This time around, steam mass deletion was happening without any "direct" liquid-gas interaction - it would happen randomly.  I automated a notification bound to pressure so I'd catch it on time; reloads did have some interesting effects... Sometimes doing so would knock it back into place, other times mass deletion would prove to be somewhat of an inevitability.

I still have my qualms about that airflow tile on account of randomness so lotsa stuff will be shuffled around, even the ceramic insulated tiles were up to 180 C - boo... If only that "little" blob of steam counted as an achievement.

The magma layer will resume its pumping to extinction later on.

I really don't trust airflow and mesh tiles for this reason; they're a janky way to sort of have 2 elements in a tile by having the solid pretend it's the fluid, and this game is known for buggy behavior, especially with how fluids interact.

So ... I guess I found some of the steam/water... I had previously directly replaced the ceramic tiles for diamond windows and nothing happened..... Then I had to do some unwanted but needed maintenance on the AT as I'd built it out of ore instead of steel... All this water appeared after deconstructing the tile directly underneath what used to be the airflow tile.. So there's that:

1240883342_foundsomeofthewater.thumb.png.591f06fa7320c08dff9b53ddfff6eb6f.png

I guess I can go on the record for having found some of the steam that vanished... Take it as you will, anybody can dispense some water and make this whole thing up, but I'm keeping most of that poltergeist water to start the turbines up later.

30 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

Airflow tiles have some very odd mechanics

I would guess that tile had somehow teleported "stuff" somewhere else...
Anyhow, it's all good motivation to fix and make the design better. This turbine setup had already been bothersome for some time now. We'd already seen my base in another vanishing steam thread...

20 hours ago, JRup said:

I would guess that tile had somehow teleported "stuff" somewhere else...
Anyhow, it's all good motivation to fix and make the design better. This turbine setup had already been bothersome for some time now. We'd already seen my base in another vanishing steam thread...

Didn't verify, but I don't think it's been fixed, so I suspect it's related to the same bug that's been around for 2 years:

When you save/load, any gas in airflow tiles likes to displace itself. I've never seen it move into a solid block before, that's new, but likely related.

Oh well... Now the chamber is 100% steam, no other liquids (petro) or gases for that matter... mostly diamond window floor and has been repurposed to also serve as plug box. It will also become a dumping spot for steam that comes from oil well incidents....

3 hours ago, Beowulfe said:

don't think it's been fixed

Seems to be platform agnostic, I'm currently on Pop!_OS / linux... I've set up an mdadm array with nvme for the whole box and load times take no more than a couple of minutes.. Saves don't take even that. So yes, saves are done once a cycle.

Before anybody goes "oh mr moneypockets" on me I will say that 90% of it all (relevant hardware) is built from parts kindly provided by citizens of fleabay... And setting up the whole system on mdadm partitions is a pita that is totally worth it.

Archived