Can't find out how to "safely" gather oil

Donned my atmo suit, headed to the oil wells and reservoirs, and set up a liquid pump. It has overheated and broken several times now.

The oil well (which... must... overlap... an... oil well....) doesn't pump liquid out of the area. It just pumps it out of the... uh... oil well.

I've set up several (four) thermo coolers to help cool the oil in the reservoir. But it's not really helping much. I'm still losing liquid pumps left and right. So how to I get the oil out of there if they just burn up my liquid pumps??

Pay attention to the overheat temperature of buildings and what materials can increase it. For basic metals you generally have gold amalgam (+50°) and steel (+200°) when higher temperatures than the standard 75°C is needed. In this case use a steel pump

Okay, steel is the one thing I hadn't made yet. I know Copper, Gold, Iron, and Wolframite were all the same overheat temperature. I didn't know they could be made with steel as well.

The sad thing is, to get most of the things I need to truly progress, I need PLASTIC. And it's hard to get plastic when you run out of coal for generators, haven't found lumber, natural gas isn't sustainable yet, and I need plastic to take advantage of steam geysers....

grr!

Why are you tapping into oil wells anyways at this stage? Are you on a map with buried and/or irregular oil? If you are new to the game you should play on standard maps maybe. Normally there is a gigantic pool of oil at the bottom of the map that lasts for a long while.

Also if you have to use an oil well, keep it submerged in a tile of oil. Only activate the pump when the oil gets too high. That helps absorb much of the heat.

it's hard to get plastic when you run out of coal for generators

Ranch hatches for coal. They convert part of what they eat to coal. Also produces a lot of easy meat

Plastic can also be produced by ranching dreckos. The regular variety produces reed fibre, but if fed live mealwood they turn into a plastic producing variety. You can produce more plastic than you know what to do with without even touching oil or building a plastic press.

But even when you have buried/irregular oil, there should be small bits of oil lying around that you can collect and refine.

haven't found lumber

Arbor trees don't exist on all maps. Same with some other things. Some of the asteroids miss certain materials. You can get seeds for them from the printing pod sometimes

Cooling it for anything other than using it as a coolant is a waste of energy.  You use the oil hot.  Keep the oil hot.  Molten Slicksters like it hot.  100c+ hot.  Gold amalgum works for moving it somewhere.

Make your pump out of gold amalgam, should be able to pick up the oil unless your entire biome is way too hot (can happen if there's lava leaking through a crack in abyssalite somewhere). The oil well drops crude at 90C, a pump made from gold amalgam can handle up to 125C. Other metal ore pumps can only go to 75C.

If you really want plastic early, I suggest going for a drecko farm. Put'm in a room with mealwood plants and you'll eventually start getting glossy dreckos, which you can shear for plastic. 4 Glossies = 1 plastic refinery.

23 hours ago, Calura said:

I need plastic to take advantage of steam geysers....

Not really, you need plastic to make steam turbines... but as to how to deal with heat, there's more than one way for sure.

Option A) steam turbine, requires 200kg of plastic per turbine (not a lot), but gives back some of the power used in the cooling process

Option B) use a sauna, requires lumber to construct, plus costs 60W per operation but really destroys tons of heat.

Option C) dump the heat into something that's going to be consumed/destroyed. You have to be somewhat careful where you put your heat (and how much of it) but there are other creative ways to destroy heat with this method. For example, use fuel to cool things down... the hot fuel will just get burned off... If you have a geyser whose output you aren't using (like a polluted oxygen vent, or a co2 vent) you can temporarily dump heat into that and vent it to space... at least until you have a better cooling solution available.

Option A is generally considered the "best" option, but by no means the only option. If you can just offload enough oil for 200kg of plastic, you've got it made. Also, the other posts are worth making note of as well... pump material is important, as are other environmental considerations. If you need temporary cooling to get the plastic, consider using ice sculptures or pumping in water/gas from a colder biome to keep the area cool long enough for you to get the plastic needed to set up cooling properly.

Edit: also, nregardless of whether you have plastic or not... you definitely need steel to do any serious cooling with the aquatuner... that should definitely be the first priority... and dealing with metal refining heat is way more difficult than oil refining heat... (but definitely doable)

Archived