Aquatuner Pipes Cold Damage

Hey guys was wondering if anyone could help me out with why my Aquatuner pipes are getting cold damage.

XoGeZCy.png

I'm using petroleum in this loop and the thermo sensors are set to 30C but still some bits of petroleum seem to freeze at the first output pipe of all ATs.

Any help is appreciated

Yep, you are spitting your coolant at the intersection @Lifegrow pointed out. (fyi- I'm guessing on some of the automation, a screenshot of that would help) but my take is this will result in every 6th packet of coolant going through all three aquatuners regardless of your temp sensors and breaking pipes. but it could be an easy fix, rotate your shutoff valves 90 degrees counterclockwise so your shutoff valve intake is between the sensor and aquatuner. connect any automation that might have changed.  This should allow your system to eject the coolant at your set temps. 

Hope this helps, not the most elegant layout, but should work for your space.

I'd always advise using a balancing reservoir before the input feed to your aquatuners - I figured you had some additional stuff off screen being cooled, so the left radiator is signifying that. All the sensors are set to above -10, if they don't need to run, they wont. Thermo sensor set to above 200, filter gate set to 2 seconds. Metal floor helps with heat exchange from cooled water re-entering, could also add some tempshifts if you feel like.

Good luck.

image.thumb.png.a6d9cbfbd76197413ef300e109a5bc5e.png

image.thumb.png.7db83a31631d5ca7d488f880bd1ae7e5.png

image.thumb.png.41717cc9f87fb0a6f55f2179ded53bc1.png

I've always done the opposite of what people are suggesting here.  I think connecting automation to the aquatuner used to be bugged (a one tick delay or something), so I've always built mine so that the loop cycles forever and only if a packet is too hot is it pulled off by a shutoff and sent to the aquatuner.  I would also recommend a temperature balancing tank as suggested above.

7 hours ago, mathturtle said:

I've always done the opposite of what people are suggesting here.  I think connecting automation to the aquatuner used to be bugged (a one tick delay or something), so I've always built mine so that the loop cycles forever and only if a packet is too hot is it pulled off by a shutoff and sent to the aquatuner.  I would also recommend a temperature balancing tank as suggested above.

Honestly that's what I meant when I said my solution was not the most elegant. I'd go for 2 reservoirs - one for maintaining a buffered constant flow through the radiator of target-cooled liquid, then a second for shutoff dumped coolant that has become too warm.

Have the dumping shutoff before the main reservoir input to prevent pipes being temporarily empty, then using the reservoir automation you can cycle the "over heated" coolant from the second reservoir back through tuners when you've a sizeable amount to cool (preventing partial packets being sent, etc).

Takes more space/pipe jankiness, but way more efficient imo.

Here's the thing I don't understand (from the O.P.'s original setup).  Petroleum doesn't freeze until -57 C.  So even with the thermo sensor oddness allowing packets to slip through all three ATs (assuming they actually are set to OVER 30 (and not UNDER which I've done before), it would have to make at least 2 full cycles around the loop without being re-heated much, since most packets are going to be at least near 30..

3 ATs is a 42 degree change, so the incoming coolant is going to have to be at -15 or lower before it hits any of the ATs ?

I suppose it could be making a loop getting down to near freezing and then coming back around for another pass through, but it seems odd to me that if the outside temp transfer of the loop doesn't have enough heat to put it back into the safe zone, then why go through the effort of having a 3 AT loop in the first place.

Problem is that it did not work as you expect. See picture:

control pipe (with sensor) have temperature 0C, next pipe have oil have temperature -20C, so, you will got -32. In your setup it is possible when oil make full loop and become -21C, after it aquatuner catch one package of oil with that temperature, and then you disable it with automation. After a while, all oil become -9C, but oil in aquatuner is still -21. With bad luck this package of water will pass through all 3 tuners, and your pipes will be damaged.

temperature.jpg

But I can't get what you want to achieve? Based on provided schema, you need 1 auatuner and temperature limit +20C

Archived