Debris Furnace: 5kW from a glass forge

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

I put on the front of a grumpy old bugger, in reality I always feel like this

That's what I assumed, and hoped was true. But hey, sometimes don't we all want to briefly do this (I see you're about to sacrifice that pip to a volcano). :) 

mad.gif.365ced41300de676a2f57291ff0a5694

12 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

sulfur

Sulfur is a no-go, at least in the build below.  I'll keep looking for use.  

image.thumb.png.66e692065b4ff118de7799418f12c2b0.png

I definitely get extra power from the thing, but not enough to want to dedicate the space to this contraption. Ballpark estimate is I'm getting about 1370W by expending less than 800W. It almost doubles the power gained (which is what I was expecting). @Zarquan,I finally took your advice and swapped to aluminum. The machine is throttled by the fact that aluminum forms chunks when it freezes at over 150kg, which means I can't really pass 75kg/s flow. I haven't tried the solid-liquid bypass version yet, but may see how it fairs soon. I think I'm going to swap to devising a new machine that gives sulfur a use. 

For me the temp reset bug for debris is not working

DebrisTempResetFail.thumb.png.a395dc9b53b73fd311c1f55b50d53cef.png

The debris in the red rectangle is permanently adjusting it's temperature, so i'm doing something wrong. The mass is not that high, but if there is a bug with temp reset, shouldn't it nonetheless stay at its temperature? So it seems to be more a rounding error at the moment for me with high masses. Or did I miss some very important information?

The other variant with directly dripping the water (nonfreezing) on the debris works worse, so probably there is some short interacting on impact for the falling water with the ice.

@TripleM999, The the liquid has to solidify in the same tile as an existing debris pile.  In this build the liquids is freezing in mesh tile (where there is no debris) then the new debris is being spit out (because it's not allowed to be in mesh) where it then merges (debris + debris) with an existing pile.  I've seen this setup dubbed a "solid bypass" and it's often used specifically to avoid the debris reset bug.

1 hour ago, TripleM999 said:

The other variant with directly dripping the water (nonfreezing) on the debris works worse, so probably there is some short interacting on impact for the falling water with the ice.

I had this issue too, the trick is ensure that the fluid is cold enough to freeze instantly (in 1 tick) when it lands on the seed debris pile.  This keeps the liquid from interacting with the seed debris pile.  I accomplished it by super cooling the fluid, but you can also do it with a very cold/conductive tile adjacent to the debris pile.  Note, a temp shift panel won't actually work, the fluid will still interact with the debris before interacting with the panel and freezing.

I dont have much time right now to contribute but i wanted to share one of my old design ideas based on this bug:
I built a counterflow heat exchange tower where at the bottom of it is the big cold pile of ice in vacuum adjacent to a cold source. An autosweeper loads parts from the big ice pile into a conveyer loader and ships it up the tower inside the tower wall. The ice in the conveyer melts at some point and the resulting water is pushed into the tower and runs down towards the cold pile. Now you dont want it to freeze again so you have to get it back into droplet form to not exchange heat. Once the water hits the bottom it instantly merges with the pile without any coolness lost (in most cases). Infinite Cooling in a closed loop. Adjacent to the tower for example you can build another tower where you can route hydrogen through that gets cooled down.
I try to post a screenshot as soon as i find some time.

On 7/23/2020 at 4:12 AM, Manarz said:

i wanted to share one of my old design ideas based on this bug

That is similar to my original idea for the Debris Fridge (TM).  It seemed perfect because the "cold source" can just be a tile that you pass really cold ice through on a conveyor.  I changed to pumped, super-cooled water because I couldn't get the debris pile to maintain it's temperature.

I'd be interested in seeing the save file if you have a working prototype.

Archived