Suggestion: Warly gains sanity from porta-crockpot

7 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

,,, give him back his ability to eat raw ingredients ...

I would see this as a bit of a cop out.  Before DST Warly could eat anything but Klei obviously changed that to try and better capture the cook playstyle.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say people who want to play Warly probably want to have a dozen different crock pot recipes they can whip up to impress themselves and other people with their cooking.  We all know most crock pot dishes are bad, and it doesn't matter very much because everyone can just eat the same 2-3 recipes for their entire gameplay and it won't matter.  New Warly changes that and what new Warly is missing is just more recipes that are worth cooking up, more early game recipes to smooth out his game play before he can spam meaty stews, and more sanity options to compensate for not being able to eat cooked green caps or cactus.

You could also take down the burden of knowledge with Warly a bit.  Make enough different recipes that use meats, frog legs, carrots, berries, and various mushrooms that there is no bad combination in the crock pot and all of them would be better than the combined ingredients raw.  You could also give him a perk where any time he would make wet goop he has a chance to get a random recipe that could have been made with a random one of the ingredients that was in the pot.

Another big boost to Warly - if you wanted to make him less of a challenge character - is to have healing unaffected by his picky palate.  This would allow him to spam trail mixes or perogies to heal during a fight.  I'd rather he just got more recipes to compliment his picky palate but this could also help make him more accessible to new players.

All of these could be done and we wouldn't even need a farming re-work to do it.

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Bulk player-base is mostly newbies/noobs/casuals. They screw up Crockpot dishes as default. And will screw up Warly dishes even more, only by sheer numbers. But Warly cons exacerbate this aspect. And yes, Warly in fact does use way more resources than other characters because of his food variety-required con. As a non-Warly you can go with raw food (carrots, berries etc) or Meatballs only. If going as Warly with one type of food, you need a whole lot more of it because every consecutive intake will decrease food value - this is the crux of Warly's con. If you want to alternate Meatballs, Meaty Stew and Monster Tartare (with sanity and hp penalty) in early-game (no farms) you still need to hunt a lot more than other characters. Thus yes, as Warly you do use more resources.

And reading some 3rd party game info shouldn't by any means be a requirement to master said game. DS/T was build on trial&error principle. If this isn't the primary driving force... then is a personal preference. Sure one can be seen as handicaping themselves if part of bulk player-base, yet most players don't even have a clue about DS/T Wikia (or these forms for the matter).

The altruism-egoism/selfishness aspect of humanity is debatable. Some schools of thought consider altruism as a covert form of egoism (empathy is to self-benefit/advantageous in the end). Also theoretical help one gives to others goes till one establishes detrimental incompetence/malice helped one can posses, that might "drag down" the helper - saw this in many pubs and various circumstances too. And this is the main builder of distrust. Again, Warly's cons exacerbate all above.

First of all the game never makes you eat the same food there are a very large amount of food options with good amounts of hunger coming from just the small combination of meat,monster meat, egg, berry, and carrot all of which are available all year round and are very easy to get also technically the crockpot never went against the idea of trial and error most people just don't like dealing with the consequences of said trial and error that is not a design problem that's a player problem at no point are you required to look at the wiki to play dst you could just keep dying till you figure it out most people don't like that idea but there's nothing stopping anyone either and that doesn't just apply to Warly.

Second there is no permanent solution nor should there be to end noob mistakes as it's impossible to account for everything there are plenty here are some examples

-webber not knowing spiders are hostile to other players and planting a nest in/near base or bringing a bunch of spider followers with low loyalty

-wendy not understanding that pipspooks lower other players sanity or not realizing aggro abi destroys dens

-wx eatting all the gears not knowing they're used for other things as well 

-Thinking chester/glomer is a mob you hunt for food

That's just to name a few issues characters can have in a multiplayer setting

5 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I would see this as a bit of a cop out.  Before DST Warly could eat anything but Klei obviously changed that to try and better capture the cook playstyle.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say people who want to play Warly probably want to have a dozen different crock pot recipes they can whip up to impress themselves and other people with their cooking.  We all know most crock pot dishes are bad, and it doesn't matter very much because everyone can just eat the same 2-3 recipes for their entire gameplay and it won't matter.  New Warly changes that and what new Warly is missing is just more recipes that are worth cooking up, more early game recipes to smooth out his game play before he can spam meaty stews, and more sanity options to compensate for not being able to eat cooked green caps or cactus.

You could also take down the burden of knowledge with Warly a bit.  Make enough different recipes that use meats, frog legs, carrots, berries, and various mushrooms that there is no bad combination in the crock pot and all of them would be better than the combined ingredients raw.  You could also give him a perk where any time he would make wet goop he has a chance to isntead get a random recipe that could have been made with a random one of the ingredients that was in the pot.

Another big boost to Warly - if you wanted to make him less of a challenge character - is to have healing unaffected by his picky palate.  This would allow him to spam trail mixes or perogies to heal during a fight.  I'd rather he just got more recipes to compliment his picky palate but this could also help make him more accessible to new players.

All of these could be done and we wouldn't even need a farming re-work to do it.

To be fair most of this could be solved by giving him a craftable cook book

5 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I've thought about that...  I was also thinking maybe Warly can give suggestions to the player.  Like if you put any ingredient into a crock pot he could mention some other ingredient that would lead towards a dish.

There are probably a lot of ways you could add to Warly in interesting ways reinforcing the master chef and support play style early game to smooth things over until you can have a dozen farms popping out key veggies for his end-game buffs.

2 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Im agree that this will impove his performance a lot but farms will keep sucking and warly will lose the chef spirit that brings his rework.

Having to bring to a fight a bunch of differents foods to a fight could be annoying but you have to admit that for a chef character is perfect.

I prefer this

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.03e1ec2d50b1967042dd90d16625f8d0.png

than spaming the same healing food like every character except for wormwood

but its true that it takes a lot of preparation and be ineficient but is because how works food. Meat is to easy to adquire and being able to cook with specific crops boring so changing it will improve not only warly and wurt but also new characters that have perks about farms. Also wormwood will still being a very good character but not a must have

4 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

assuredly i've dabbled with that thought too, or even just make it a wickerbottom craftable to encourage them playing together if you want to be pedantic with skills

On 7/11/2020 at 2:17 AM, Cheeto-Jesus said:

Early game players frequently deal with sanity issues, and this is further exacerbated with Warly's refusal to eat cooked cactus flesh and jerky. Standard ways of gaining back sanity have been slashed for him, and the only way he can regain this is through more complicated/involved recipes like ice cream or taffy (or the soon-to-come jelly salad). Late-game players also don't see the incentives of playing with Warly long-term because of the aforementioned sanity issues (more a hassle than a challenge),

On 7/11/2020 at 12:12 PM, Shosuko said:

Warly definitely has a problem dealing with sanity.  Cooked green caps and cactus are not just early game sanity, but at any time in your play through it will probably be quicker to pick and cook a bunch of cactus or green caps rather than use crock pots to make batches of taffy (especially considering Warly's quick-cook bonus which is pretty much wasted on him lol.) 

You all know that he can sleep right?

The problem only comes in boss fights. But the only boss where insanity is terrible is fuelweawer but by than you should have beequeen crown so no problems should arise. 

On 7/11/2020 at 7:14 AM, ShadowDuelist said:

Warly is fine, as I said in other topics already there are just a few changes to be made that I believe would satisfy both the players that dislike the current status of Warly and those that love him, without making him OP, and respecting his gameplay:

Global changes:

- Caged birds should give a guaranteed second specific seed when fed with a specific vegetable. The third possible seed is the one that should have RNG chances. I think we all agree this would be more of a global QOL that would benefit all farming for everyone, not just Warly.

- Different vegetables should grow naturally throughout the land, like carrots do now. It would give more life to the land, it would make more sense for a natural enviroment, and different biomes and seasons could have a tendency for specific vegetables. This won't replace farming as the vegetables do not grow around in large quantities and take a long time to respawn, but it would help greatly with the early game ingredients collection, and would make foraging for ingredients a bit more diverse.

- Warly specific: Special food effects should last longer on him. By how much is a matter of debate, I say 50% longer duration but it could be 100% more duration too. Thats a matter of testing it out. EG: glowberrymousse makes anyone glow for 2 days, he'd glow for 3. Whatever duration his foods have on a Wilson, he'd get ×1.5 of time (or x2). Just a little buff to be special when among other characters that have specific perks and ate your foods too. And maybe a reason to stay as Warly in case you don't like him much.

Funnily enough, I honestly think this is a better idea than having better sanity through porta-crockpot. Kudos my guy! If additional seeds is too game-breaking for Warly, then just giving him longer buffs would do just fine. We really need to give players a reason to stick with Warly despite his drawbacks, is the meat of this issue.

Archived