Wind up card question

"Discard this card: Increase the damage of this card by 4 until played and return it to your hand."

How does this card work. My brain for some reason can't make sense of it. What I think should happens is, you discard "Wind Up" and the next time you get it, it has +4 damage? 

21 minutes ago, potatoatak said:

Discarding is done automatically by just not playing it right?

Specific cards can discard from your hand. The end turn discard is treated differently and does nothing. Best bring cards like survival reflex and duster to get a benefit from wind up

Yeah, there is a difference between the "end turn" discard and other discards that is important and matter a lot and that wasn't obvious enough for me. It is probably obvious for people familiar with card games ?

it makes sense when you know that there's cards that explicitly discard, and you put 2 and 2 together eventually. but it was pretty confusing, and honestly before that and before i knew about discard being a good thing (and also clarity or lucid upgrades), i thought that 1 extra damage on elbow strike for an entire card in your hand was a terrible trade. now i think "jesus, that and a barbstorm will rip and tear".

It's true that there are some great cards the unlock later for discard, but I think there are still plenty of good ones early on.

For example I think Bedlam and Spare Blades are both prestige 0 cards. If you use upgraded Focus Bedlam with upgraded Stone Spare Blades for 1 action you get:

• Draw one card (+discard one card - Spare Blades)
  • 8 base damage (random target)
  • 3-4 piercing damage
  • 3 Defence

The great thing about card combos like this is that you get XP on both Bedlam and Spare Blades for 1 action point early on too. And regardless of what cards you are playing getting them levelled up quickly makes a big difference.

Everyone's play style will be different but I would chose the above upgrades over getting more damage as I've found with a discard deck you quickly run out of cards (thus getting draw one card over 4 bonus damage on Bedlam) and that you have to be careful not to clog your cards with sub-par cards. For example while 2 Blade Flash from Spare Blades seems like a great boost to damage as you don't expend Blade Flash when using it they can quickly clog your hand in longer fights.

On 6/27/2020 at 3:46 AM, Lumina said:

I think that it's possible also that some of the good cards to use with discard are unlocked when finishing a game, so in first game, discard isn't that great ?

Actually in my experience a discard/counter deck is extremely reliable before unlocking more cards. I recently started from scratch on steam because after an hour of pulling my hair out I could not get the account granting to work. Anyway my first 2 games with Sal were a discard/counter deck and I absolutely wrecked Kashio.

Archived