Some new pistols for Rook ?

I was always wondering why the pistol tab exits. We can see which pistol it is, the number of charge chamber (and how it's fill at the start of a fight) and the overcharge limit. If the number of chambers can be change with Frizz, it's not the case for the overcharge limite who say : no limit.

Is Klei preparing a new random event with Frizz (or someone else) where you can buy/exchange pistols with different effects ? Or even a new seller at the black market who sells 1 or 2 different guns each day (even if a new pair of guns will not be that cheap).

For this case, I've got some ideas for new guns (the effects of the basic guns is apply to all, unless I say something about) :

- Quick charge : Get 2 charges instead of one (affect the starts of your turn, mark, card effect) ; 4 chambers and starts with 0 charge ; overcharge limit : 10 or 15

- Large caliber : Same effect than basics pistols ; 8 chambers and starts with 1 charge ; overcharge limit : no limit

- Hot streak : When you spend a charge or overcharge , apply the same amount in burn, apply one scorched if you spent your last charge, empty cells will not give defense ; 4 chambers and starts with 1 charge ; overcharge limit : no limit

- Gun-fflicted : When you spend a charge, add +1 to a pre-existing debuff ; 3 chambers and starts with 1 charge ; overcharge limit : no limit

- High tension : Empty cells give maximum damages and overcharge gives defense ; 4 chambers and starts with 3 charges ; overcharge limit : 4

- Draining chambers : Lose 1 charge every turn instead of gain 1 ; 6 chambers and start with 2 charges ; overcharge limit : no limit

- Never empty pistols : The chambers automatically recharge themselves at the end of your turn , empty cells will not give defense ; 4 chambers and starts with 4 charges ; overcharge limit : no limit

- OverOver : Overcharge only decrease by 33% instead of 50% at the end of your turn ; 4 chambers and start with one charge ; overcharge limit : 4

- ReverSal (troll pistols) : Replace charges by Combo and converts the chambers into "combo chambers" . The keyword "charge" is convert to "combo" (gain charge turns into gain combo and spend charge to spend combo) , you loose half of your combo when you take damages (but don't loose overcharge). When the "combo chambers" are full , you still get Overcharge (work like basics pistols). Empty "combo chambers" still give defense. Mark won't give combo or overcharge. At 5 overcharges : play a card for free and spends all your overcharge and combo. Burn applies bleed instead. Scorched remains the same (can only be used by cards with debuff effect like Brain tick or Ego Rip) ; 4 chambers and starts with 1 combo ; overcharge limit : 5

Well , all of this are only idea from the back of my mind and will PROBABLY don't be balanced (even if it's the case for me when I wrote this) and hope your enjoying imagine all the guns , the potentials combos & decks , and a potential face for them . Have a good day and take care in the griftlands .

I loved your new ideas, and forever wondered why did we have a Pistols tab if you can only increase/decrease the chambers. I really hope Klei comes up in a few upates with some new pistols for Rook, because I do think it's an unexplored part of the game that definitely should come to happen.

I think the Pistols tab is there so new players can find ALL of the info on how the pistols work. I do like the idea of being able to get different pistols though, that could add even more variety to Rook runs.(although it would probably be a pain to balance).

• Developer

The pistols screen was made almost specifically for gamepad players, since they can't see the charges tooltip in combat. Now that the fighter info popup exists (right clicking on any fighter), there's less reason for the pistols screen to still exist, though.

It still provides the benefit of allowing players to see that Rook has a unique mechanic and reading up on it before they get into a fight and are expected to use it. But it doesn't provide any functionality at the moment, and it does create the expectation that the pistols might be upgradeable.

i had thought of something related to this, namely when they first introduced the gunsmith event.

Mass shotgun: (ripped from gungeon) 1 charge chamber, but usage of charge for damage deals x amount more damage

Explosive pistols: Namely one that i thought would use the overcharge limit. it would be a stock upgrade to the basics except for a limit, and when it surpassed the limit it would explode due to over pressure. i don't know how it's supposed to work exactly, either they blow up in rook's face, losing all overcharge, OR (something that gets a tad bit more risky), rook throws the guns, dealing damage to enemies, but can no longer use guns until he either buys/finds new ones. the thought i had with that would be he could either a) no longer use gun attacks, i.e. basically every card with a gun in it, or b) no longer can gain charge/spend charge/get overcharge/get defense for empty cells, effectively screwing you for the rest of the fight and making you need to keep close attention to your guns and their overcharge.

This seems like a modders job, then.

Unfortunately, with the current way of condition set up, it's hard to make custom effects for pistols, because the effects of the pistols are tied to the condition "lumin_tracker", and is not tied to the pistol graft. The pistol graft only defines the name, charge chambers, and overcharge limits.

Archived