Walter issues and balancing

Hey, so I tested Walter since he cames out and I'd like to talk about some perk's design that are... odd

I won't talk about numbers here, nor bugs (I think ?), I didn't test his Slingshot enough for that

So most of my issues with Walter are from Woby, from the most important one to the least important to me

- First, during its big form. When you feed it 3 monster meats, its "starve meter" won't be increasable anymore. Which means, once you transform it and once it becomes too slow after a few minutes (its speed decreases over time, and eventually makes it slower than Walter), you are NOT ABLE to feed it monster meat to make it fast again. Actually, you can feed it, there is a button for it, but it doesn't do anything. You have to wait it to transforms back into its small form to feed it back into its big form. What is the point ? I don't know, I'm not sure this is intentional since you can feed it while it's in big form

EDIT: Someone told me Woby is actually fed but his hunger depletes by 200 per day, meaning you need an absurd amount of monster meat to keep him fed, hence that's why I thought feeding him didn't do anything. I'm not sure what's worse, but at least that's not a bug FIXED, THANK YOU KLEI

- Second problem with Woby's big form is others Walters can... steal it. Literally, they mount it and travel with it, you can't do anything to call your dog back until the other Walter decide to unmount it. I think only the Woby's actual Walter should be able to mount his Woby

- Another issue related to other players' behavior : Woby's chest. So from what I saw, others Walters can open it. This opinion is a bit more personal, but to me, either no one could be able to open it, or everyone could (like chester). I'd like to precise if no one could open it except the Woby's owner, that would be better if Woby drop all the loot when the Walter dies, so Walters are not able to "irreversibly" steal objects once they're put into their Woby  Actually, it seems like everyone can open it, like chester so I'm fine with it

That's pretty everything odd I found about Woby. I don't have much to say about Walter himself, except maybe that's a bit of a shame Walter's portable tents are making the Fur Roll completely useless, as portable tents are Fur Rolls with 7 more uses and easier craft. Saying "no one use Fur Rolls anyway" is just ignoring the problem. I liked how Klei nerfed Warly's Chef Pouch and buffed the Bearger's Insulated Pack, despite no one used it.

Edit: Actually, there is a last thing about Walter. His stories at campfire. That's amusing 5 minutes, but when you do it for a while, his voice is just annoying as hell. So I end up not using it anymore to save my ears from the noises. Maybe that's be better to lower his voice for the stories, like he tells them by whispering !

So I'd like to have you guys opinion about what I said, what do you think is odd about Walter and need to be adjusted ?

1 hour ago, Xantown7 said:

What is the point ?

For the first point i must say you are wrong (no offense) woby is great at ruins rushing giving you 9 more slots and is invincible aswell as early marble pieces because beefalos are more of a hassle. so walter is the most greatest ruins/ancient fuelweaver rusher that existed for me. i'd say he could be A tier for ruins rush

Edit:

Walter's portable tents are making the Fur Roll completely useless

yes but actually no. Fur rolls are more for characters that need a quick stats refill like during winter as for example. tho if you are walter i must say they are pretty useless.

8 minutes ago, emin61 said:

For the first point i must say you are wrong (no offense) woby is great at ruins rushing giving you 9 more slots and is invincible aswell as early marble pieces because beefalos are more of a hassle. so walter is the most greatest ruins/ancient fuelweaver rusher that existed for me. i'd say he could be A tier for ruins rush

I don't think you read me ? That's completely unrelated to what I said. The problem I exposed is you have to wait he becomes small form to feed him again, the monster meat you use while he's in big form is literally lost.

8 minutes ago, emin61 said:

Edit:

Walter's portable tents are making the Fur Roll completely useless

yes but actually no. Fur rolls are more for characters that need a quick stats refill like during winter as for example. tho if you are walter i must say they are pretty useless.

That's... what I said

I cant believe we are already discussing about a character that hasnt been out a day ago. but yeah whatever. i cant really execute your problem of how annoying that could be in-game so you have your priorities. but what really could make walter even better that you can  cold deconstruct his ammo. it sounds very brokenly op but its a crafting item. like comeone what is the deconstruction staff even there for?

1 minute ago, emin61 said:

I cant believe we are already discussing about a character that hasnt been out a day ago. but yeah whatever. i cant really execute your problem of how annoying that could be in-game so you have your priorities. but what really could make walter even better that you can  cold deconstruct his ammo. it sounds very brokenly op but its a crafting item. like comeone what is the deconstruction staff even there for?

it makes perfect sense to address Walter as early as possible while Klei is still fresh willing to revise him. It'll be too late in a week or two.

so please refrain from posting garbage in some weird font

First, during its big form. When you feed it 3 monster meats, its "starve meter" won't be increasable anymore. Which means, once you transform it and once it becomes too slow after a few minutes (its speed decreases over time, and eventually makes it slower than Walter), you are NOT ABLE to feed it monster meat to make it fast again. Actually, you can feed it, there is a button for it, but it doesn't do anything. You have to wait it to transforms back into its small form to feed it back into its big form. What is the point ? I don't know, I'm not sure this is intentional since you can feed it while it's in big form

This happened to me as well, and I agree that it seems a bug and not intended.

• We need to know when Wobby is hungry
  • We need to be able to revert the slow Wobby somehow
  • We need to be able to cover the slow Wobby for some time, like, giving it 6 MM and you know its gonna be good for a day, or something.

Judging from the current situation, there are still some problems with the actual performance of Walter and woby in the game, and some repairs may be needed. I found that his poop bullets cannot eliminate the hatred of the boss he attacked. I don’t know whether this is a normal setting or a bug.

Also as a fervent beefalo tamer, please allow expected saddle behavior for Woby. Obviously damage bonus is useless, but the speed is critical for late game effectiveness.

People would probably even tolerate the saddle taking damage each time Woby shrinks back.

1 hour ago, Well-met said:

Also as a fervent beefalo tamer, please allow expected saddle behavior for Woby. Obviously damage bonus is useless, but the speed is critical for late game effectiveness.

People would probably even tolerate the saddle taking damage each time Woby shrinks back.

I came to say this exactly. Big Woby has no mid-late game usefulness.

If they fix the "slowness" issue, it will be useful during very early game exploration and to carry the marble pieces. Once you find a cane, that's it, we would never feed monster meat to Woby again. If we could somehow improve Woby to be faster with a regular saddle, and much faster with a glossamer, it would be useful throughout the whole game.

It doesn't have to eclipse beefalo's though, with a regular saddle it could be as fast as an ornery beefalo (the slowest of the 3 tendencies) , and with glossamer saddle it could be as fast as an ornery beefalo with glossamer. Having an actual beefalo that can fight and has an appropiate tendency would still be worth it.

Also about the slingshot:

• Cursed rounds have a fairly low random tendency to spawn tentacles. In actual fights the damage they dealt was so slow and little, that shooting non-stop marbles is far less expensive and gives out much more DPS. I suggest to give them a 100% guaranteed tentacle spawn to make them worth using, or at least a much higher chance than what they have now.
  • Slow rounds effect should probably last a bit longer, or hitting with more than one pellet could make the duration of the effect stack.

6 hours ago, Xantown7 said:

Edit: Actually, there is a last thing about Walter. His stories at campfire. That's amusing 5 minutes, but when you do it for a while, his voice is just annoying as hell. So I end up not using it anymore to save my ears from the noises. Maybe that's be better to lower his voice for the stories, like he tells them by whispering !

Multiple players can tell a story at a single campfire and it's so chaotic! Apart from it destroying your ears, as multiple Walters scream the same story out of synch, it also makes the camera freak out.

I think a solution would be to update it so that only ONE Walter can tell stories at a campfire? 

As for more general thoughts on Walter...

My favourite thing about him is his visual design. His "look" feels so organic to the game. It's very rare that I find myself not wanting to use skins, because his boy scout costume fits perfectly with the aesthetic of the game. There hasn't been character that has looked this good for a long time. 

But I'm disappointed by a lot of his mechanics:

- Bee Allergy: I thought this would have an animation. I thought that when Warly was stung, he'd get puffy, but no...Instead bees just do more damage and it's so lame (this is when stuff feels like a mod).

- Ammo: This might be unpopular because I've not heard anyone say, but I don't like his ammo. I wanted more interesting ammunition. I wanted to be able to shoot bee mines, flaming pine cones, maybe even small mobs. Instead, it's magic rocks... that's just so lame to me. 

- Woby: I'm not sure how I feel about him. Having a personal Chester is a great plus. However, I have zero use for his large form. 

I have a few suggestions of possible improvements of Walter experience.

• Increase Woby's speed
  • Increase slingshot's attack range
  • Increase slingshot's firing speed
  • Enable attack animation canceling while using slingshot

Basically Walter's slingshot ammo costs are higher than melee weapons. It seems slingshot's concept is using extra resources to hunt monsters safely from distance. But now due to slingshots long attack animation (which is unable to cancel, too) synergize with ambiguously short attack range makes Walter (who's important not to take damage) takes hit from enemies. Plus Woby's speed decreasing system is a little off-intuitive.

But overall Walter is a quite interesting character to play despite of little problems. See, at least he's better than Wilson nothing.

7 hours ago, HeatAndRun said:

I have a few suggestions of possible improvements of Walter experience.

• Increase Woby's speed
  • Increase slingshot's attack range
  • Increase slingshot's firing speed
  • Enable attack animation canceling while using slingshot

Basically Walter's slingshot ammo costs are higher than melee weapons. It seems slingshot's concept is using extra resources to hunt monsters safely from distance. But now due to slingshots long attack animation (which is unable to cancel, too) synergize with ambiguously short attack range makes Walter (who's important not to take damage) takes hit from enemies. Plus Woby's speed decreasing system is a little off-intuitive.

But overall Walter is a quite interesting character to play despite of little problems. See, at least he's better than Wilson nothing.

I agree with everything on this post except for this:

7 hours ago, HeatAndRun said:

Increase slingshot's firing speed

This seems to be intentional, as you trade a cheap ranged attack for a slow firing rate. It seems to be made on purpose and I think it's better that way, it should never replace melee. Walter can (and should) fight with melee should he want to, he just has to mix ranged attacks to take less or no damage.

Quite a few players have mentioned these in their feedback but I also wanted to reiterate the first 2 points again after trying Walter from myself.

First, the constant (heh) noise Walter makes when reading stories at a fire gets very annoying after a while. Perhaps it would be better to just have the text above his head without the audio chirps.

Second, the camera zoom is a bit disorientating too when a Walter is reading a story at your fire. It makes doing little tasks during the night feel very strange and if you have to fight spiders or shadow creatures by the fire, it makes it more difficult due to the camera zooming in and out as you move closer and further away from Walter.

Finally, this one is more of low tier bug that doesn't really create a long term problem but if Woby happens to be pushed into the ocean, in our game it was some Pengulls that pushed her over the edge, Woby will disappear until you move away from that area and she teleports to your location again in the same way that Chester will run in from the edge of the screen if he gets stuck. All her items are still inside her, so nothing is actually lost when she returns, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Overall we are finding Walter to be quite an interesting character. He feels quite different having to deal with his sanity and slingshot combat when things start to get difficult and right now we are caught in a low health, heavy sanity loss loop while also having limited food during winter.

Thumbs up so far!

Archived