All gases in ONI behave like noble gases

To produce a chemical reaction in ONI, you need a machine or an organism. Substances can change state, but do not react, and separate in sheldom cases (Boiling polluted water for example), but never mix. 

Some chemical reactions and substance mixing could be included in the game. Some could make the game harder, for example if chorine corrodes metal equipment, or hidrogen and oxigen at a certain temp react in water, producing lots of heat (and explotions, if you borrow them from comets). But some could make the game easier, for example, if oxiguen and carbon dioxide mix, it could be easier the breath. Also, the gas and liquid filters would make a lot of sense.

I know is a hard and game changing step, but one to be considered. Thanks for reading.

Actually a good idea. But probably too difficult to implement entirely. Maybe partially, like two things mutually transforming into the third when put in contact with each other. I'd really like to have some way of making salt water manually, for example.

So there are two things: mixtures and chemical reactions.

I don't see the point of mixtures - 1 tile having 2 or more gas elements. Currently the game represents this having several elements on tiles next to each other and this works pretty much as you described - for example if there are oxygen and CO2 next to each other dupes can breath in such area. Forcing them into 1 tile would be a nightmare - both from development point of view as well as confusing GUI.

Chemical reactions are much more interesting idea, but one should be careful with that - remember that in real life hydrogen explodes when in contact with oxygen. Remember that endgame oxygen generation is based on the opposite... Also - it would add enourmous complexity to the game if players had to be aware of each possible chemical reaction and conditions required for them. I'm not saying it would be bad to have them, but I totally understand why they were not implemented in the first place and there are some good arguments not to do this.

It's fun mechanics, but besides the fun, it should make sense for the gameplay. All existing dangers are balanced by bonuses.
Why do we mix oxygen with hydrogen if they explode from this? What is the point of this mechanics besides the visual effect?
I myself would like more chemistry in the game, but it’s not enough to do, it’s important that for some reason it is necessary.

Sorry for google translate.

I like the interaction idea, but right now I'd say ONI needs to rewrite its data structures to allow the game to scale well as colonies grow in size and number. It needs to be possible for the game to make multiple calls simultaneously to various aspects of chores, so that pathing can also be done simultaneously. Otherwise more and more features would just choke up the game. The saves are already taking more than a minute just for a mid-sized base. I can't imagine if I want to build a mega-base with 100 dupes...

Archived