Ice maker water storage

I was trying out the Ice Maker (a machine I don't use very much), when I noticed something annoying about it.  it only stores the 30 kg that it is currently freezing.  This means that when the ice is ready, it stops working and makes a dupe go and bring 30 more kgs water.  Honestly, the extremely regular trips to deliver such tiny amounts of liquid make the building a nuisance to use.

I think it would be nice if the ice maker had an internal water storage of at least 200 kg.  Make its deliveries behave more like a diffuser or a deodorizer, where the building wants more water, but can operate without a new delivery for a time.

I feel this would bring the ice maker in line with other buildings.  I believe every other building in the game that requires supply has the ability to operate without deliveries for some time and can additionally operate for a while also awaiting deliveries to avoid downtime. 

Ideally, I think a storage capacity of 600 would be good, and it could ask for deliveries if it falls below 400 kg.  Or, alternatively, 300 kg and 100 kg. 

Yea, the Ice Maker seems a bit useless ATM.
I havent even tried to use since I dont need ice for anything, its not easy to setup for cooling, requires way too much power for what it provides and like you said, has no storage to speak of.
I wonder what was the intent behind it.

What about a new critter that eats ice and poops methane?
Do we have Ice biome critters?

3 hours ago, alexkuzmov said:

Ice Maker seems a bit useless ATM.

The Ice Maker is essential to playing Aridio, and similarly can be used by beginners to manage small scale heat before implementing an aquatuner or thermo regulator.

14 hours ago, WalterMatthau said:

Can you set a bin to store the ice at higher priority in a nearby cool-biome?

Or in a vacuum on an airflow tile.  Yes.  If you need ice makers, you probably don't have a cold biome.

It`s useful earlygame. On some maps you`ll need the early cooling via ice fans. Putting it above to your water pool will minimize both the travel time on supplying it with water and the impact of the heat it produces. The downtime between supply isn`t much of an issue when using ice fans.

But adding extra storage wouldn`t hurt and might make this thing more useful later in the game.

1 minute ago, Sasza22 said:

It`s useful earlygame. On some maps you`ll need the early cooling via ice fans. Putting it above to your water pool will minimize both the travel time on supplying it with water and the impact of the heat it produces. The downtime between supply isn`t much of an issue when using ice fans.

But adding extra storage wouldn`t hurt and might make this thing more useful later in the game.

But you don't want to heat your water pool.  That reduces the throughput of the ice maker.  In my accept every dupe ardio, I needed about 6 ice makers to cool and grow my farms fast enough.  I made sure that those ice makers were far away from my water and my base, and the uce maker area reached about 80 C before I decommissioned it.

Just now, Zarquan said:

But you don't want to heat your water pool.  That reduces the throughput of the ice maker.

Depends on how much ice you need. My thinking is that if i have a large water pool i can use it`s high thermal capacity to keep the area from becoming too hot. But if the amount of water is small an i need a lot of ice then i`d put it elsewhere of course.

On 6/10/2020 at 10:37 AM, M4ndatory said:

I still dislike the need of manual empty command tho :/

Manual empty is not required.  Dupes will take the ice to a storage container.  Though it might consider relative priorities of the ice maker and storage compactor.

16 hours ago, Zarquan said:

Manual empty is not required.  Dupes will take the ice to a storage container.  Though it might consider relative priorities of the ice maker and storage compactor.

Surprised pikachu :O

All these months of manual emptying.... ALL IN VAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived