Oddities of gas deletion

I've noticed a few things I thought I would share.  Normally if you build a tile it will push the gas in that cell aside, but it seems that it will only do this if the gas next to it is the same type and so their mass can be combined.  If the rest of the room is CO2 but there is one pocket of oxygen on the roof and you build a tile in that cell, it won't shove the CO2 out of the way to make room to move the oxygen to and instead the oxygen is deleted.  Now what's really odd is that when you deconstruct a deoderizer that has a tiny bit of PO2 still inside, it will shove the oxygen out of the way to release the PO2.  If however, you have that cell walled in so the oxygen can't be pushed out of the way and diagonal dig to deconstruct the deoderizer, then the PO2 is destroyed.

2 hours ago, psusi said:

it won't shove the CO2 out of the way to make room to move the oxygen to and instead the oxygen is deleted.

Yep.  It's extremely nice for removing a packet of 20g CO2 from a room that you didn't want CO2 in, or deleting a stray hydrogen bubble.  I often build tiles every other one on a roof or floor, so they can capture these stragglers.  Then when I notice them, I run by and issue a dig command. Post exosuits, this isn't needed anymore, but extremely useful before. 

1 hour ago, Radiowave said:

That has to be a bug or something.

I'd classify it as Klei's implementation of one-element per tile physics. 

FYI, you can also delete gasses and liquids with vents, though I haven't spent the time yet to work out all the mechanics. 

Archived