Suggestions for dst

Hello everybody, and welcome to this thread! The reason I wanted to create this is because I’ve seen so many great ideas around the forums and I think it’d be fun to share mine while also seeing yours! So you can share any suggestion or idea you have in this thread.

Just keep in mind that I’m only doing this for fun and that our ideas will probably not get added to the game but I like hearing your ideas anyways,

So, I wanted to start this thread with a suggestion for boats and sailing. Some people like the boats we have now, meanwhile some prefer the shipwrecked boats. So what if we could choose which boats we want? Basically, in the seafaring tabs maybe we could build more types of boats, like the cargo boat from sw but also the boat we have in dst currently. Maybe there could even be a blueprint from lunar island or the crabby hermit, or as a drop from the crab king! I think that’s be better for many players who don’t like sailing because of the slow boats or having to lift the anchor each time they’re about to crash. It would be hard to implement but at least more people would get interested in sailing, which is the point of the RoT updates.

Also, another thing that could be added instead could be more options for your boat. Like maybe you could “upgrade” it to be bigger or have more space which would be very helpful for those who want more space for when going sailing or those who are making boat bases (since there’s not much space to work with.) Maybe something that could be added is the boat lantern from sw for darkness or the boat cannon?

And for those who focus more on building bases/basing at sea, I think that we could use turfs as a rug in the center of the boat or something! Is there a way I could use my carpeted flooring when sailing?

But that’s about it! Leave your ideas and suggestions so that we can see them and give our opinion on it!

Ok since nobody has shared their ideas so far and I just came up with another one sooooo, I’m going to write it down..

Basically, critters are quote unquote “useless” for now, they only serve for roleplay purposes. I’ve come up with 3 things that could be added for them (initially 4 ideas but at the end of this text you’ll see why I didn’t add it).

Ok, so first thing I want to say is that what if instead of crafting the pet you could craft an item for them? It could be an item in your inventory or just to craft the pet itself, I personally think it’s strange to craft a mob...

If they had an item to follow you could leave them somewhere so that they don’t stand there mocking you as you suffer to defeat toadstool or something.

Now onto the ACTUAL ideas.
First idea: They are all based of actual creatures in game, so what if they had a trait based on that mob? I know you’ve probably heard this, but it’s still logical, Kittykit could help defeat small mobs like birds, butterflies, bees, or mole worms, mothling could provide a bigger light source, glomglom could give sanity, and so on. However, I can’t think which one for broodling since we do not want a mini tamed dragonfly at base-

Second idea: Each critter has a personality, but for now they just have some animations for them. I think that these traits should gehave something more to them. Each critter could keep changing their personality like currently or they could stay with that personality until they are abandoned (like Beefalo). So:

Scrappy- Could help attack, but they are immortal and would deal small damage, so they could function as a distraction for mobs like pigs or others (maybe not for giants)

Crafty- They could function as a portable science machine. Maybe only tier 1 science since a portable alchemy engine is a bit op.

Playful- Big sanity boosts and they could bring you items like cats do.

Well-fed- They could give more time for food spoilage (not to much, maybe just 30 seconds extra, or could depend on how much time they stay with this trait).

Third idea: Training them to get skills. Want to train them to be more aggressive like a small bird? Maybe faster? Then you could train them to have these skills! When year of the Carrats came around, I was in love with being able to train your carrats to race. Maybe not races for critters, but better structures that help train them like the year of the Carrat ones.

6 minutes ago, MagicalSkies said:

Ok since nobody has shared their ideas so far and I just came up with another one sooooo, I’m going to write it down..

Basically, critters are quote unquote “useless” for now, they only serve for roleplay purposes. I’ve come up with 3 things that could be added for them (initially 4 ideas but at the end of this text you’ll see why I didn’t add it).

Ok, so first thing I want to say is that what if instead of crafting the pet you could craft an item for them? It could be an item in your inventory or just to craft the pet itself, I personally think it’s strange to craft a mob...

If they had an item to follow you could leave them somewhere so that they don’t stand there mocking you as you suffer to defeat toadstool or something.

Now onto the ACTUAL ideas.
First idea: They are all based of actual creatures in game, so what if they had a trait based on that mob? I know you’ve probably heard this, but it’s still logical, Kittykit could help defeat small mobs like birds, butterflies, bees, or mole worms, mothling could provide a bigger light source, glomglom could give sanity, and so on. However, I can’t think which one for broodling since we do not want a mini tamed dragonfly at base-

Second idea: Each critter has a personality, but for now they just have some animations for them. I think that these traits should gehave something more to them. Each critter could keep changing their personality like currently or they could stay with that personality until they are abandoned (like Beefalo). So:

Scrappy- Could help attack, but they are immortal and would deal small damage, so they could function as a distraction for mobs like pigs or others (maybe not for giants)

Crafty- They could function as a portable science machine. Maybe only tier 1 science since a portable alchemy engine is a bit op.

Playful- Big sanity boosts and they could bring you items like cats do.

Well-fed- They could give more time for food spoilage (not to much, maybe just 30 seconds extra, or could depend on how much time they stay with this trait).

Third idea: Training them to get skills. Want to train them to be more aggressive like a small bird? Maybe faster? Then you could train them to have these skills! When year of the Carrats came around, I was in love with being able to train your carrats to race. Maybe not races for critters, but better structures that help train them like the year of the Carrat ones.

I think this is an awesome idea!!! <3

The Year of the Carrat idea is also pretty nice!! Ur pets could just train!, That idea is absolutely awesome, I think it should add this. But I think they could take long ^w^

2 minutes ago, CottonFluffy36 said:

I think this is an awesome idea!!! <3

The Year of the Carrat idea is also pretty nice!! Ur pets could just train!, That idea is absolutely awesome, I think it should add this. But I think they could take long ^w^

Thanks so much dear! <3
And yes, if Klei considered to add any of these ideas, it would certainly take a while for the update to come out! 

Just now, MagicalSkies said:

Thanks so much dear! <3
And yes, if they’d consider to add any of these ideas, it would certainly take a while for the update to come out! 

No problem! <3

Your right, Updates aren’t easy to make!

If I have any idea I’ll comment on here right away!, Nice ideas tho! ^^

Great idea about training and special features of pets! But you know, every pet should give sanity, depending on character (Wickerbottom like cats, so Kittykit gives extra sanity for her, Woodie hate birds, so Giblet decrease sanity for him), and Glomglom would have extra bonus of sanity for everyone. And about broodling, maybe it could be mobile campfire, you give it wood - it goes enraged and you can cook on it, use ice/waterbaloon - calm it down. What do you think of my idea?

Critters in Don't Starve serve their purpose, even if they are useless, because they are there only to be passive inconsequential mobs for the cute factor of having something else follow you around. To that extent, they are perfect and I don't think they need a change...

Still, your ideas are really good, I just think they should be implemented elsewhere. Overloading a single mechanic with a lot of stuff to do could be cool if everything else feels on par, but most other companions are really simple. Even if critters weren't all that powerful, they would still feel overcharged with content. We already have beefalos that can domesticated, but most see it more as a chore more than anything else.

What I suggest is that we pick up your idea and try to space it out and distribute it all over the Constant, throughout all other mechanics. Give critter some stuff (but try to make them stay as cosmetic as possible) but try to use other design space. For example, Webber's rework making him able to train spiders with some skills; giving more complex orders to pigs/bunnymen you keep with yourself for longer; a whistle that could control/subdue hounds.

That being said, your idea is really interesting and would make critters more engaging and further improve the game's complexity.

5 hours ago, AlcheLapte said:

Great idea about training and special features of pets! But you know, every pet should give sanity, depending on character (Wickerbottom like cats, so Kittykit gives extra sanity for her, Woodie hate birds, so Giblet decrease sanity for him), and Glomglom would have extra bonus of sanity for everyone. And about broodling, maybe it could be mobile campfire, you give it wood - it goes enraged and you can cook on it, use ice/waterbaloon - calm it down. What do you think of my idea?

I think it’s a great idea! I didn’t think about sanity boost for the other critters with Wickerbottom liking cats and Woodie disliking birds thing. I think that idea for the broodling is great, I didn’t think about Dragonfly’s enraged mode.

4 hours ago, Lucenix said:

What I suggest is that we pick up your idea and try to space it out and distribute it all over the Constant, throughout all other mechanics. Give critter some stuff (but try to make them stay as cosmetic as possible) but try to use other design space. For example, Webber's rework making him able to train spiders with some skills; giving more complex orders to pigs/bunnymen you keep with yourself for longer; a whistle that could control/subdue hounds.

I think those are great points and a great suggestion.

I didn’t think about how my training skills/personality ideas would be too similar to Beefalo domestication...

And your idea for Webber rework, pigs/bunnymen and dog whistle are great! 

I’ve posted a lot of ideas many of them great, some not so great.. but the thing is if I posted all that here it would just seem like me repeating myself like a broken record. :( 

I guess the TL:DR of everything I want-

1- Harder Difficulty Options/Uncompromising Mode.

2- Shipwrecked & Hamlet DLC Biomes as areas I can sail to and play within.

3- The remaining SW+Hamlet playable characters added into DST, because regardless of how much you personally feel like they do or do not fit into the game the Bottom line is that Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba & Wagstaff are ALL Klei Official Characters.. designed by Klei, these characters ALREADY have a fanbase of people who actually WANT to play as them.

4- Archipelago world Gen Setting- With a boat & ocean In the game, I want a world generation option that splits the games biomes up into A series of Islands separated by a body of water encouraging players to sail between each island to gather resources from biomes.

5- Xbox One NEVER got to play the Forge.. & Gorge was a blink you miss it event, so to have those return either as actual events or as permanent content would be amazing for Xbox Players. 

6- Last but most important of all CHARLIE as a Playable Character for beating DST or doing a certain thing in-game, Just as Maxwell/Wes was unlocked as playable in DS Solo, Webber was unlocked in Reign of Giants, Wilbur/Woodlegs in Shipwrecked.. you get the Idea.

everything else I’ve suggested (like actual bridges we can craft) is just extra fluff on top of all that. 

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’ve posted a lot of ideas many of them great, some not so great.. but the thing is if I posted all that here it would just seem like me repeating myself like a broken record. :( 

I guess the TL:DR of everything I want-

1- Harder Difficulty Options/Uncompromising Mode.

2- Shipwrecked & Hamlet DLC Biomes ported to DST as areas I can sail to and play within.

3- The remaining SW+Hamlet playable character cast ported into DST, because regardless of how much you personally feel like they do or do not fit into the game the Bottom line is that Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba & Wagstaff are ALL Klei Official Characters.. designed by Klei- And they are all equally lost in the constant.. these characters ALL have a fanbase of people who actually WANT to play as them already..

4- Archipelago world Gen Setting- Now that there’s a boat in the game and a sailable ocean I want a world generation option that splits the games biomes up into an Archipelago (A series of Islands separated by a body of water) encouraging players to sail between each biome to gather resources of the other biomes.

5- Xbox One NEVER got to play the Forge.. and Gorge was literally a blink and you missed it event, so to have those return either as actual events or as permanent content would be amazing for Xbox Players. 

6- Last but most important of all CHARLIE as a Playable Character for beating DST or doing a certain thing in-game, Just as Maxwell/Wes was unlocked as playable in DS Solo, Webber was unlocked in Reign of Giants, Wilbur/Woodlegs in Shipwrecked.. you get the Idea.

everything else I’ve suggested (like actual bridges we can craft) is just extra fluff on top of all that. 

1. Good idea.

2. No. Just not for free. Why would people buy Hamlet/Shipwrecked then? We already have items for having DLC (pirate birdcage), so it's possible to add generation option of Shipwrecked when it's detected.

3. Same as above. But maybe in way that you can play character everywhere, but you need DLC and you can't weave it.

4. Good idea!

5. Try to save money on computer. It's much more fun and comfortable to play. Plus you have events and mods and Steam trading!

6. Amazing! Maybe to unlock her you need to have no mods, no world generation alter and do something like Metheus? Idk, but idea is good.

Generally good ideas you have =)

You can Weave Wormwood for 2700 spool and He was from Hamlet DLC- Or if you owned the DLC already you got him free, since Hamlet is only available on PC anyone on PlayStation or Xbox had to Weave or Buy him.

Warly on the other hand is from Shipwrecked and he was given away to everyone for free regardless of if you did or did not own the Shipwrecked DLC.

So Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba & Wagstaff would all fall into one of those two categories.

You would NOT need to ever buy the DLCs to gain access to playing as them, otherwise that does exactly what Klei wanted to avoid- Separates their fanbase between who does & does not own DLC.

As for the DLC Biomes- It should be identical to Minecraft, as in you Can still PLAY in those dlc packs even if you do not directly own those DLCs yourself. Only the HOST needs to own the DLC- for everyone else all it takes is a couple seconds or minutes longer of a loading screen that says “Downloading DLC Assets” and Boom rather you do or do not own dlc you can still play with people who have them.

Minecrafts been doing this for years with its add-ons and Texture packs, and until someone at Klei explains how it’s not ever going to be possible, I’m going to keep asking for it to (maybe not now but someday) become a thing.

53 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

2- Shipwrecked & Hamlet DLC Biomes as areas I can sail to and play within.

Regarding this idea, there shouldn't be a real, direct transfer from one game to the other.

By copy-pasting biomes from the DLC's, besides being a lazy solution, Klei wouldn't make DST a different game, just multiplayer DS, which would inevitably just be a game for those who enjoyed Hamlet and Shipwrecked to begin with.

This is what Klei should be working towards, trying to create an identity for each game, and we can see that on the new lunar islands and different boat mechanics, even if they aren't perfect. Creatively speaking, Klei is trying to do something different, experimenting with new ideas and pushing the game in different directions.

Still, both games have really cool mechanics associated to their biomes that should be added, more like recycled, with different applications, like Hamlet's jungle, adding a spin on them to make sense with the narrative being told and the setting being created

On 5/26/2020 at 9:34 PM, MagicalSkies said:

Some people like the boats we have now, meanwhile some prefer the shipwrecked boats. So what if we could choose which boats we want? Basically, in the seafaring tabs maybe we could build more types of boats, like the cargo boat from sw but also the boat we have in dst currently.

From my perspective, i would like to have more boat from shipwrecked. Because the current boat is too slow and it's hard to avoid rocks without slowing down. Although bring another player as copilot might be help,  sail is still very boring.  Yes, a small boat from shipwrecked will help a lot. However, it will also bring some problems:

1.When i fight with a swordfish in shipwrecked,I'm thinking what's the difference between fight a swordfish on the sea and fight a treeguard on the ground(hit twice and dodge repeat several times). For the DST ,they don't want to provide the same experience for the sea and ground. Thus they add thses sail mechanics like steer and anchor. It's a good news for DST, indicating they want run this game for long-term.

2. Why not provide many boat for player to choose?The answer is simple that it would be very hard to balance. Most items are developed on the current sail mechanics. A small boat requires a big rework on environment and boss design. Think about these question: Should a shipworm drill your small boat? Should the crab king nip your small boat? etc.

Conclusion: It's unlikely to add shipwrecked small boat to the DST.

Suggestions: 1 improve the speed for dirve and direction changing.  2. Give a wider view when you are sailing to avoid hit a rock, looks like you closed to the volcano in the shipwrecked. 3 cannon!to make sea battle more interesting!

Archived