Jump to content

Any way to get gem descriptions in dst?


Recommended Posts

i had remembered there was a mod in solo that told you what gem was in an ancient statue

i have had too many false positives of good gems either because my eyes suck or the sanity effects of the ruins

my main question is can it get ported and/or have a substitute in dst so my constant attempts at ruins rushing won't lose pickaxe durability. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That wouldn't be that useful, and gems on statues are usually random, and I guess if you don't wanna carry more than 1 pickaxe, just carry the materials needed to craft a new one, plus mine all thulecite statues, the thulecite is useful, and renewable once you kill the ancient fuelweaver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Charlie Dark said:

mine all thulecite statues, the thulecite is useful, and renewable once you kill the ancient fuelweaver.

Are you implying that gems arent useful? Gems are also renewable if you didn't know.

As to op, it's not that hard to see the color of various gems in the statues. Either wait till all phases are over and everything remains clear or remove the insanity effects and brighten up your screen. You could also try asking the person that made the mod in comments or personally if they can port it to dst if you're so eager to have that mod in dst.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

Are you implying that gems arent useful? Gems are also renewable if you didn't know.

I said absolutely nothing like that, (I was referring to the mod) I said that the mod wouldn't be that useful because "all gems are useful" and you shouldn't only get specific ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Charlie Dark said:

I said absolutely nothing like that, (I was referring to the mod) I said that the mod wouldn't be that useful because "all gems are useful" and you shouldn't only get specific ones.

Well, blue gems aren't particularly useful (especially since you get enough from hound waves as-is.) One could find that purple, orange or even yellow gems are useless to them, too, though that'd depend on their situation and/or playstyle.

The problem with mining every statue is how tough the statues are. Each one can withstand 10 pickaxe hits, which takes a while and wears down pickaxes pretty quickly. Considering how limited resources are down there, I think it's fair for someone to only want to mine the statues with the gems they're looking for - especially if they don't have much use for the thulecite. It's kind of wasteful to get 4 orange gems when I know I'm only using one and that I'm not making crowns or suits anyway.

There's also the problem with inventory space...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Electroely said:

Well, blue gems aren't particularly useful (especially since you get enough from hound waves as-is.) One could find that purple, orange or even yellow gems are useless to them, too, though that'd depend on their situation and/or playstyle.

The problem with mining every statue is how tough the statues are. Each one can withstand 10 pickaxe hits, which takes a while and wears down pickaxes pretty quickly. Considering how limited resources are down there, I think it's fair for someone to only want to mine the statues with the gems they're looking for - especially if they don't have much use for the thulecite. It's kind of wasteful to get 4 orange gems when I know I'm only using one and that I'm not making crowns or suits anyway.

There's also the problem with inventory space...

Oh, well, you can combine red and blue gems to make purple gems,  spam click to mine the statues much faster, and use bundle wraps to solve the inventory space. Or just bring a handful of cooked green caps to be fully sane to determine what gem each statue is "holding" but that's no fun!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't find this to be a problem... usually 2 gold pickaxes is enough for all the ruins statues and gold rains during the earthquakes so its not that hard to come by. When you get gems that you are not interested in, you can leave them on the ground, either moles or earthquakes will clean them up.

Maybe the only thing I'd consider is the "wasted time" that you could have saved by mining only what you wanted (for example green gems).

But still, I think this sounds like a very late game problem, I mean thulecite is always useful, even if you have plenty you can spam crowns and use them as an every day armor, red, blue and purple gems you can just leave there as the lategame will flood you with them anyway, orange gems can either be left there, or used to spam lazy foragers and use them to pick up wood and stones or other wasteful materials fast, yellow gems can be used to make a lot of starcallers, which you can then spam on every situation you need some light, and green gems make crafting more efficient so there's always use for those.

TL;DR: there's always profit in mining all, and 2 gold pickaxes are not that hard to come by.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shadow miner can help you a lot inventory space is not a problem neither if you have hutch/bundle wraps. if you are desperate to be picky, i recommend this mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1229018711

image.png.2c67a59cdaa4dc675e8940eeb6da00d6.png

The main purpose i use this mod is to remove the insanity effects like the bad color you experience in-game, wich can help you to notice what gems are on the statues since insanity does the opposite. i combine this with sanity volume limiter + overlays disabler 

image.png.c7fcccaa0a4ceeee4aa6d66cb39e838a.png

image.png.e1d76a1c5522262bd687b04d934f49fe.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i juts realized how many people are talking in this post

to the people telling me i just can look at the gems, i swear to god i keep on thinking purple gems are green and the fact the ruins is based in insanity doesn't help

i'm still new to the ruins and have been practicing to ruins rush, as a result using the moggles+wx+cheese guardian strategy

i have not even fought the shadow pieces and i am scared piss-less at the thought of fuelweaver

as a result i don't want this area where the major amount of rare gems to be just multitudes of blues, reds, and purples simply because my luck is atrocious

this mod seemed like a convenience and it confused me as to why it wasn't in dst.

6 hours ago, bruhmoment23 said:

You could also try asking the person that made the mod in comments or personally if they can port it to dst if you're so eager to have that mod in dst.

i'll do that. thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Wumpus the 19th said:

is there any specific reason it wasn't ported earlier, or was it just forgetting the existed and it was simple and seamless?

If the original author doesn't port the mod (because they doesn't play DST, doesn't mod anymore, or just forgot about it) you have to wait for someone else to pay attention to this mod.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...