An Winter Idea

Hey guys. I need help from experienced players. I am playing as Wickerbottom and winter is about to arrive. I have read about all the food hardships that winter brings and I have an idea. I noticed that berry shrubs that are ready to be picked can be left fully grown and then picked during winter. After that they stop growing. Does this applies to improved farms as well. The concept behind the idea is that I craft as many improved farms as possible and then use applied horticulture right before the winter arrives and pick fruits and vegetables slowly throughout the winter. Is my plan good, or are there holes in my plan?

it is a good plan, if you have the help of a friend, you can ask him to enter as wormwood and plant many seeds in the soil for you too, and if you have found the lunar island, the Stone fruit bushes are also a great option...because they continue to grow in the winter 

Thanks for replying. I am really only starting out (this is my first serious winter) and I have not explored the Lunar Islands yet, but I have heard of them. Also, I think for a newbie like me, it would be in my best interest to wait for autumn so I don't have to worry about hardships of other, less friendly, seasons. 

9 hours ago, Percolator12 said:

Make your main base in the caves. All berry bushes, farms, bee boxes all keep producing during the winter as long as their done in the caves under underneath some surface light. 

Thank you for the advice. I surely will try this tactic for one of my next winters.

Winter in the caves as a newer player can be tricky. It gets extremely cold and temperature management becomes a near full time job when you are away from your base/fire pit.

If possible try and secure some gears from clockworks up top before winter hits. This will let you construct an ice box and store food for much longer.

That aside, id say simply scavenging food during winter is going to be easier as a newer player than trying to slam out a cave base in the first 21 days, then trying to survive for 16 days in the coldest environment in DST.

Any berry bushes with berries on them when winter starts will have berries on them until you pick them. Rabbits are also readily available all winter, as well as Catcoons. Spider nests can also be farmed for monster meat during winter.

The other issue with a cave base for the first winter as a newer player is Spring and Summer are just as unforgiving in their own way. To leave the caves after winter and run headlong into Spring can be a shock to the system.

Your best bet for winter is either Rabbits/Monster Meat and Ice, or Catcoons and Rabbits.

3 ice and 1 morsel or 3 ice and 1 monster meat will give you Meatballs.

Rabbits are just as easy to trap during winter as always, and Catcoons (from the Deciduous Biome ((Birtch Forest)) are easily killed for 1 meat a piece. 2 meat and 2 morsels will give you Meaty Stew (or 1 meat, 1 monster meat, and 2 morsels).

There’s almost always a bunnyman village near one of of your cave entrenches. If you can find a bunnyman village, you have infinite food supply. Watch a video about bunnyman, Best advise I can give you. Give one Bunnyman a carrot and fake swing at a different bunnyman and all the bunny’s will attack him for you, you can do that every single day. You’ll have tons of carrots and some meat. Best food farm in the game if you figure out the mechanics of bunny’s. Just whatever you do, never pick up meat, or have meat in your inventory while the bunny’s are out of their house or they will kill you very fast. ......Also I don’t know if you know about roll backs, but if you die, burn your base, or just do anything you regret doing you can roll back to the beginning of the day or if you keep doing it, you can rollback multiple days if you want. 

Archived