A Novel similar to ONI

Do you know a novel "Gateway". Its plot is similar to ONI. I think that you surely like it.
- People live in an underground of asteroid.
- The asteroid is a abandoned base of alien.
- They makes town and facility there.
- Bounty hunters use alien's spaceship to get a treasure.
- Treasure is something useful scientifically in the remains of the alien.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_(novel)

I have also seen a few anime that have similar premises or feel similar to ONI:

Pale Cocoon

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Cocoon

Humans live deep within an underground structure with no knowledge of the past. The environmental equipment is failing and the population dwindling. One person attempts to recover information from a corrupted archive to better understand why they are there.

(Read the setting and plot on the wiki, it provides a much better description that is much more ONI-sounding)

BLAME!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blame!_(film)

A small group of humans live in an ever growing automated city with an unknown number of levels. The machines that control the city have identified all humans as trespassers. Some of the people use special suits to venture into the dangerous areas around their village to bring back food.

There is a really good Polish comedy "Sexmission"

It is about two scientists, who are chosen as guinea pigs for a time experiment: they are placed in hibernation and should be brought back to life after three years. In the meantime, however, the World War III breaks out and a mysterious M bomb is used that causes all man to extinct. Only women survive and they are forced to live underground, as surface is no longer habitable due to radiation.

When they wake up, it turns out that not only 50 years have passed but also that they are the only living specimens of the male sex in a new, underground society composed exclusively of women.

In the movie there are even same atmosuits as in ONI: ;-)

MV5BOWM5MGFmOWEtYzg0Yi00ZjViLWExZjEtNjFh

1 hour ago, sheaker said:

Our comedies are usually hard to understand because of unusual political and economical background.

thats true, and this is the reason I don't find them funny in general (as said before) but "Sexmission" has really nice idea for the plot+setting and one can enjoy it even when they don't undetstand every historical/political reference.

Having this said, I would never think that this movie is similar to ONI ;) of course, there is this underground base, but you don't feel this that much. I'd say "Martian" is much more similar to ONI, even if guy sets his base above ground level

17 hours ago, Yo-suke said:

Do you know a novel "Gateway". Its plot is similar to ONI. I think that you surely like it.

I read that series long, long ago. Must be 25...30 years now. I quite liked it back then. I would not say it is close to ONI in setting though.

Archived