Automated Dense Puft Ranching

Is there a way to automate a Puft ranch so that there's exactly 1 prince and all the others are dense? I don't mind some manual work to set it up, but it should then chose which eggs to incubate and which to throw out of the room to keep the population steady. I've played around on Sandbox a fair bit but, without a sensor to count critters of a particular species, I have genuinely no idea how to do it. Purpose is Oxylite for Rockets more than meat or eggs, although they're an added bonus too.

I saw something from a Drecko ranch design that could be adapted maybe. The incubator is in a separate room. The eggs are staggered with a timer so you don't have a continuous stream. Then a conveyor element sensor lets one egg through and loops back the rest. With Pufts you probably need more than one conveyor element sensor, but you can use them to detect which egg you are handling currently and sort it accordingly.

IIRC, there was a thread a while back where someone pointed out that pufts will not fly into water, so you can have two rooms that are connected by water so they are considered one room, then put the dense puft on one side and the others on the other side and... I forget what the trick was now to make it work.

4 hours ago, Olleus said:

Is there a way to automate a Puft ranch so that there's exactly 1 prince and all the others are dense?

Yes, create two virtual room with a waterlock and 2 stations like this :

puft1.thumb.png.6caab91b7cfef371b34f2e18f2cd41fe.png

It counts as only one ranching room :

puft2.thumb.png.4dca1be9400bb031cc5423fdd74dd530.png

As well, Puft "see" the Prince through the waterlock. But you can control separately the eggs and release only one Prince.

See aslo this post :

37 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

But you can control separately the eggs and release only one Prince

That's the part I couldn't remember how to do.  The critter sensor still detects all of them since it is one "room" so how do you detect when only the prince dies and needs replaced, or when the other type dies and needs replaced?  Or actually do the replacing since I don't see any drop-offs in there.

8 hours ago, psusi said:

That's the part I couldn't remember how to do.  The critter sensor still detects all of them since it is one "room" so how do you detect when only the prince dies and needs replaced, or when the other type dies and needs replaced?  Or actually do the replacing since I don't see any drop-offs in there.

With the meat, it lays when it die. That's why I use 2 virtual rooms, as well I can identify the meat and trigger an automation signal with it. You can use the new rail sensor for that.

Here's the algorithm: if there's a meat on the rail in the Prince room, so open the incubator's room door.

4 hours ago, SamLogan said:

With the meat, it lays when it die. That's why I use 2 virtual rooms, as well I can identify the meat and trigger an automation signal with it. You can use the new rail sensor for that.

Here's the algorithm: if there's a meat on the rail in the Prince room, so open the incubator's room door.

Ahh!  I was thinking that it somehow involved a weight sensor but I couldn't figure out how to tell the difference between meat, egg, and oxylite/slime/bleach stone.

Archived