Color coded or labeled pipes

Hi Klei,

Do you think we can soon have either color coded pipes or a way to label them and they to keep the labeling in the active view? In the late game, when one is dealing with a lot of pipes for liquids and gasses, it would be great if we have away to color them (based on the gas or liquid they carry) and label them (for example based on the direction or system towards/from they carry their fluid).

There will probably be some confusion between the types of the pipes (insulated, regular, radiant) but I'm sure you can find some textures to help us differentiate between them.

11 hours ago, Nedix said:

have away to color them (based on the gas or liquid they carry) ...

There will probably be some confusion between the types of the pipes (insulated, regular, radiant)

The whole pipe wouldn’t need to be colored, a colored stripe on the pipe would be sufficient. Essentially a line instead of the typical fluid circles. This could be something that is toggled in the overview. “View fluids (or gasses), or View label coloring”.

Yup, that too. Basically any option which could tell you across the map where is the pipe coming from and what does it (usually) have in it. More than once I mixed up pipes because the were empty at that time and I have forgotten or mixed up what they were for.

12 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

The whole pipe wouldn’t need to be colored, a colored stripe on the pipe would be sufficient.

Imagine you could also name a pipe segment, so the name would be painted on it along with the stripe.

OMG, yes please.

I've also wished for the same thing for background tiles, wires, containers, and what have you.  In short, I think the ability to "paint" a wide range of objects should be a priority for future updates.

On 4/24/2020 at 2:55 PM, yoakenashi said:

The whole pipe wouldn’t need to be colored, a colored stripe on the pipe would be sufficient. Essentially a line instead of the typical fluid circles. This could be something that is toggled in the overview. “View fluids (or gasses), or View label coloring”.

...and/or colors could be tinted according to the type of pipe.  Dull colors for insulated, flat for regular, metallic/high-contrast for radiant.

In the meantime ( might take a long time ) until Klei is introducing a labelled pipe ( liquid and gas ) and maybe a labelled conveyor rail, I suggest you take a look at a mod called "notepad". You can place small info signs at the cost of 1x1 building space ( material cost is little to nothing ). But beware: There is a conflict with a another mod called "DraggableUI". Sadly you can't use both at the same time.

Archived