Allow Dupes to carry more or carry, build at the same time

I absolutely love this game, I have like 1000 hours on steam, it's by far the most hours i have spent in a game.

I basically only have one complaint about it. In the later stages of the game, let's say cycle 600 or so, it is taking a LOOOT of time to build things, even if i have like 20 dupes. I can literally go in the supermarket and leave it running on superspeed and not everything would have been built when I am back.

I would love us to get something to battle that (maybe on the upcoming DLC?). Something that would massively affect building times would be one of the two :

1) Dupes being able to carry more, so that they can build more without having to wait for materials to be delivered.

2) Dupes always carrying and building at the same time, so that they dont have to wait for a gopher before they begin.

I think the first is a better option, but either would improve things i feel. This could even be a new building that can allow training dupes towards that cause.

What do you guys think about this ?

Theoretically, fully trained dupe should be able to carry 2200kg of materials (200 base + 20 strength * 40 kg per strength point + 400 for Improved Carrying I + 800 for Improved Carrying II). IDK about increasing that limit further, it sounds like alot already. Even without 20 strength, a dupe with just Improved Carrying II (and no penalties) would be able to carry 1560kg of materials (200 base + 1200 from skills + 160 for 4 strength that those skills give). Having some kind of training machine for dupes would be useful, thought. 

Overall, I feel like the problem is not simply revolving around dupe's carrying capacity. I think that we actually need more tools for organizing proper building logistics or dupe labor coordination in general.

For example having an ability to mark a tile as a temporary storage for builing materials, so suppliers would actively bring materials needed for nearby construction errands to the marked tile, and builders would take materials from there as they need them. Or ability to choose "closest available" as a building material. Or may be having an ability to tell supplier dupe to actively follow digger dupe and collect freshly dug-up material until they have their carrying capacity filled before carrying collected materials where they are needed. Anything that may help with the distances and errands order.

I agree that lategame has too long building time. At this point you don't even play the game, just place some orders and leave dupes alone for several hours. You go to the supermarket, I go to bed, but even after waking up the tasks are not yet done...

Late in the game it`s a combination of base upkeep and travel time. Ideally you should be able to minimize base upkeep with conveyors and automation. Travel time should be adressed by transit tubes but they still don`t cut it. Definetly dupes bouncing back and forth instead of doing productive stuff hurts it most. Also the tasks are much bigger.

Would be cool if you could restrict a dupe to a work area so that he spends his entire work time there. Imagine having dedicated builders that don`t leave a construction zone and get resources through a conveyor system from your base. That would be much more effective. Or instead of restricting dupes if we had robots that can only work in a limited area so you have to supply them with resources and power. They would build basic stuff like tiles, ladders and pipes but it would still save insane amounts of time for your dupes.

>Would be cool if you could restrict a dupe to a work area so that he spends his entire work time there. Imagine having dedicated builders that don`t leave a construction zone and get resources through a conveyor system from your base. 

This is easily achievable in the late game by having dedicated digger-builder dupes who is banned from doing anything else and having everyone else banned from doing digging or building. Digger builders will never get an errand to take them away from the job site, and no one else will be able to grab an errand at the job site. Resources can be supplied using your favorite method, but conveyor systems simply don't move enough for these guys, you need dedicated supply dupes that move stuff to storage bins to the staging area for them. 

To build things fast, you need a lot of builder-diggers, and they will be idle most of the time and not do any base upkeep, but good bases don't need dupes to do much in the way of upkeep anyway.

On 4/21/2020 at 3:50 PM, Meltdown said:

Or ability to choose "closest available" as a building material. Or may be having an ability to tell supplier dupe to actively follow digger dupe and collect freshly dug-up material until they have their carrying capacity filled before carrying collected materials where they are needed.

These are two great ideas. I don't care in the slightest what material you build this temporary ladder out of! And I certainly don't want a dupe walking hours to drop of materials for single ladder, and then leaving; followed by another building a single tile, and then leaving; iterated dozens of times over.

Archived