Space is stupid

So I found a helium giant at 160,000 km.  I was advised to send research to it in hopes of finding isoresin.
44 cycles.  7 and a half hours on my PC.

But, I need isoresin.  This planet was my best source for Niobium. and my best chance for isoresin.

38% niobium dropped down to 22%, but now I can get ABYSSALITE.  WOW AMAZING.  I only have 1250 TONS of it and thankfully it serves no real purpose, but now, I can get even MORE.  Can't destroy it, but I sure can hoard it against my will.

What a great punishment for getting this far.  Gotta love it when games punish you for progressing.  

I'm honestly really disappointed, and feel discouraged from playing any further.  What a garbage system this is.

So I can either go back to a save and lose 7 and a half hours worth of progress but get my niobium source back, start a new colony and lose 2700 cycles worth of effort in hopes of actually finding some damn isoresin which isn't even guaranteed, or I can stick it out and wait 2000 cycles before I finally have enough of my trace amount isoresin to build 1 thing, but no longer have a decent source of niobium as a consequence of... playing the game I guess.
I should have known better.  I should have known that there were consequences to playing the game and progressing normally.  How foolish of me to do the things that were meant to be done.  Now, I will suffer for it. 

Thank you Klei, you guys really must have thought this through with all of the power of those big brains.
Not your real brains, the big brains in the game that make dupes not care about how miserable things are, and they just continue on in ignorant bliss.
Those brains.

1,576 hours of ONI.
Invincible regolith, broken sweepy still crashing games, BS space mechanics forcing you to gamble with the future of your colony.

Can you please fix your game?  Seriously.  Fix. Your. Game.

The thing that pisses me off the most is just thinking about those 7.5 hours.

Now, if I want niobium, it'll take me twice as long to get it.  
IT ALREADY TAKES SO LONG, but I spent 7.5 hours researching the planet... so that I could DOUBLE MY FUTURE WAITING TIME.

Who thought of this?  Is there a dev that just really hates oni, or the players?  I don't understand how this was ever considered to be a good idea.

Here's a change that would make people happy.
How about instead of ruining the planets with research, you get a certain % of abyssalite ALREADY, then when you research the planet, a percentage of that abyssalite has a chance to become a rare resource.
That way we don't feel like we f'd up our colony by researching it.

That way instead of spending 7 and a half hours shooting myself in the foot, I'd have just wasted 7.5 hours but I'd be at least in the same spot I was BEFORE the research, not worse off for it.

I can't honestly believe how angry I am at a video game.

I've never felt so cheated. 

There are two problems, and I agree, both are annoying and should be fixed.

1. space is not rewarding. too much effort, not enough reward.

2. lategame takes ages to accomplish anything. I literaly had to setup some tasks for dupes, go to sleep, and after I woke up I could see what was not yet done... transit tube system didn't help a lot...

About your problem - I believe that trace amount of isoresin could be find on any planet. You must send research modules to every planet to discover what you can find there. There will not be much of it, but it should be there. Of course, this doesn't solve any of the above issues...

I feel you but you're not quite right. The asteroid you're spawning on along with the rest of the space asteroids are simply RNG. Yes, KLEI could make sure one gets a trace of all resources but that's a different discussion. I also ended up on an asteroid which had no wolframite and no space asteroid contained any trace of it (or tungsten for that matter); they are called "glimmering planets" but I had none of it. I think I could've tried to melt abyssalite to get something and then do something else and .. and ... and but in the end I am a regular player and playing this game just for fun so I simply started another map.

Unless you want to push the envelope and make massive contraptions which melt steel or eat up a quarter of the map you will always end up starting anew map in hope you will do better as in design and/or quality of your dupes' lives.

One more thing: I have to be with @pether on this one - I find it very had to believe you didn't find another closer planet/asteroid which doesn't have isoresin. I usually have at least one up to the 40.000 km mark (petroleum rockets).

I experienced the same thing as well, with a helium giant having niobium, and turning out to have abyssalite after I researched it. I encountered the same thing before with helium giants and I seems like it is their mechanics, they are likely to have abyssalite after research. I would recommend sending multiple cargo bays to the closer asteroids, they will be more rewarding than a 7.5 hour trip to the fathest planet with 600-700 kg of isoresin, thay will bring around 100 kg every 3 hours or so. More resource with multiple planets.

Archived