Points of Interest being fully deconstructable

I'm sure this has been suggested several times, but I figure I'll present this idea again.

Please make Points of Interest completely deconstructable . I know there is a mod to do this, but if its for balance reasons / safety for new players getting the lore of the game, there is a way to satisfy balance and our want for vanilla ONI.

The balance idea for being able to deconstruct all POIs is that any steel / plastic you get from POIs before you have the technology to make such materials yourself wouldn't be able to be used by your duplicants. Basically the idea is that they have no idea how to use the material because its outside their knowledge. 

As far as ensuring players get the lore from the game, make it so that the POIs have to be inspected first before they can be deconstructed.

There are several points of interest that would have to be changed from being neutronium (Vending machines, tables, and lockers) to more appropriate materials.

There are also some security door types that can't be deconstructed which should be able to be deconstructed as well.

14 hours ago, oconzer said:

The balance idea for being able to deconstruct all POIs is that any steel / plastic you get from POIs before you have the technology to make such materials yourself wouldn't be able to be used by your duplicants. Basically the idea is that they have no idea how to use the material because its outside their knowledge. 

I don't think that obtaining some limited amount of steel/plastic would present any kind of balance issue. And plastic is obtainalble without that much technology anyway. That being said, are there any point of interest structures made from steel or plastic out there? You may find comfy bed in some ruins, but I'm sure that's it.

14 hours ago, oconzer said:

There are several points of interest that would have to be changed from being neutronium (Vending machines, tables, and lockers) to more appropriate materials.

If the idea about unusable steel/plastic is related to this than those structures may be simply changed to be made from some basic materials, like cooper ore.

8 hours ago, Meltdown said:

I don't think that obtaining some limited amount of steel/plastic would present any kind of balance issue. And plastic is obtainalble without that much technology anyway. That being said, are there any point of interest structures made from steel or plastic out there? You may find comfy bed in some ruins, but I'm sure that's it.

If the idea about unusable steel/plastic is related to this than those structures may be simply changed to be made from some basic materials, like cooper ore.

As for plastic that is a big "balance" issue for early game cause the faster you can get high pressure vents generally the better (at least according to most players). As for steel that allows you to make a much safer and efficient cooling system due to the higher overheat capacity.

There actually is quite a few steel POIs (computer desks, light fixtures, Gravitas Windows, Gravitas Door, Elevator, Chandaler). As for plastic, it's only currently the comfy bed (rare) and plastic ladders. As for what most likely would be plastic is also the tables you find.

Also the plastic and steel would just be unusable until you have the technology researched to be able to make them yourself, but they could change the steel to refined iron, and the plastic ladders to some other material.

+1 to the topic! It is so annoying when in the middle of my perfect base there is broken POI light because I cannot deconstruct this... :(

Also, it would be nice to be able to build POI decor items: charts, computers, plastic plants, doors, tiles etc. I want my base to be pretty and unique

1 hour ago, pether said:

it would be nice to be able to build POI decor items

Maybe thats the solution to the material problem? Make POI structures drop their "prefabricated" versions of it instead of regular resources when they are deconstructed. If player has a "prefabricated" version of a structure, that structure appears in the furniture building category. Building it requires one "prefabricated" version as a material.

I don't care if vending machines, tables, and chairs drop material or not.  I just want to get rid of them so I can build there.
I'm currently in the process of melting the useless gravitas building, and it's honestly ridiculous the lengths I have to go through.

If I could just deconstruct the stupid thing, I'd be so happy.

But, I hate mods, and refuse to use one to achieve this.

Archived