Wendy's Sisturn Sanity Aura and How it Works

Just thought I'd make a quick thread detailing how Wendy's sisturns work. Obviously, many of you are aware that the sisturn provides a +25 sanity aura when you stand right on top of it. What you may not know is how the aura behaves as you get further away from the sisturn and whether or not the sanity aura stacks with other sanity auras.

Below is a series of pictures I took during a fun little experiment where I tested out different sisturn set-ups in order to see how it works. Basically, what I did for most of these pictures is set my sanity to half (which is exactly 100) by using the console command c_setsanity(0.5), and then I hit the timer. When the timer reached 1 minute, I would then press f12 to take a screenshot. There's a small delay when you use Steam to take screenshots, so my measurement is most likely off by a little less than a second, but nevertheless, the take-home message remains regardless of the minor human error.

Shown below is a +28 per minute sanity aura with me hugging one sisturn while experiencing the aura of a "neighboring" sisturn. This implies that the second sisturn only contributed 3 extra sanity per minute to the collective sanity aura.

20200329035517_1.thumb.jpg.255ae091d172988bd04efe76ac3db1e9.jpg

I decided to test whether this was consistent with multiple neighboring sisturns roughly equidistant from myself while I'm hugging the same sisturn. Below is a +34 per minute sanity aura from 1 hugging sisturn and 3 neighboring sisturns. 25 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 34, so the math checks out.

20200329035816_1.thumb.jpg.53a04d3a30a3e632dac801e72140e88c.jpg

I decided to look at how the sisturn's sanity aura changes with distance. Below is a +1 per minute sanity aura from being as far away from the sisturn as possible without the aura completely disappearing.

20200329040024_1.thumb.jpg.07fc40e0a9b02a101aa95fcc14a09434.jpg

Here is the distance required to get +5 sanity per minute from the sisturn. I didn't do this part of the experiment the same way I did the others because you get a -5 sanity per minute penalty during dusk, so all I had to do was walk toward the sisturn until the sanity arrow disappeared.

20200329040152_1.thumb.jpg.554bd137ff5aaf552df7e80952df451b.jpg

Finally, here is the distance required to get to +8 sanity per minute. You can clearly see that it's barely closer than the previous position and almost right next to the sisturn. Any closer and you will get the +25 sanity per minute aura. These pictures show that the sisturn sanity aura follows an exponential decay by distance, meaning that you will see a gigantic drop in sanity benefits if you walk away starting from the center of the sisturn than if you walk away starting from 2 feet away from the sisturn.

20200329040453_1.thumb.jpg.23eb78d06172540b7726abfa87df635a.jpg

So because of this exponential sanity drop mechanic, if you make multiple sisturns, it should make logical sense that standing right next to one sisturn and facing toward the other sisturns so that you get the full benefit of 1 and the decayed benefit of the others is better than standing in-between all the sisturns so that you get a slightly-better-but-still-decayed benefit of every sisturn. Basically, 1 full-power sisturn + 3 weaker-decayed sisturns > 4 stronger-decayed sisturns.

Here are two pictures testing just that, with me standing dead-center between 4 sisturns versus me hugging 1 sisturn but facing the other 3.

20200329040624_1.thumb.jpg.2099bc2dde1bf9989a7fd96df2ef92e1.jpg20200329040905_1.thumb.jpg.2a274b48a3c308469fe2bb09098c9809.jpg

For the fun of it, I decided to make a 3x3 sanity station to see how much more sanity I would get. I ended up getting a +42 sanity per minute aura, which makes sense because it's impossible for me to hug the middle sisturn without not being in-between most of the sisturns; in this case, I'm distancing myself from the sisturns on the left side.

20200329041803_1.thumb.jpg.131ba4bb8a343645f6a2a847d88281d5.jpg

As you all know, glommer also has a sanity aura, and I just wanted to make sure that glommer's aura is compatible with the sisturn. Turns out it is; below is the exact same set-up as the previous but with me hugging both the middle sisturn and glommer, resulting in a +47 sanity per minute aura, an obvious increase from the previous +42.

20200329042017_1.thumb.jpg.6a7e74765a02ee2a242603834030d469.jpg

Here's another quick glommer test with a single sisturn to confirm that the glommer aura is consistent and that the +47 aura wasn't a result of any possible accidental position shift. 

20200329042206_1.thumb.jpg.0d53b783725542ad7ad78b924add0cba.jpg

One of the main takeaways from all this, though, is that while they do stack, the most an extra sisturn can possibly give you is an extra +3 sanity per minute boost. It's almost half as good as glommer and costs a whole lot more to get let alone maintain via flower petals, so I recommend only building one sisturn per base.

Another thing to take away from this, however, is the fact that glommer is actually useful as a sanity source now. Prior to this update, it was absolutely pointless to stand under glommer doing nothing for that measily +6 sanity per minute while you starve to death; glommer's goop and ability to spawn krampus was more useful than But NOW, glommer is a helpful supplement to the sisturn's sanity aura which you CAN reliably stand next to for sanity without wasting so much time that you starve to death. Also, keep in mind that this is an AURA, meaning that MULTIPLE PEOPLE can use the sisturn and glommer at the same time.

tl;dr
1) Sanity auras stack, including other sisturns and glommer
2) Sisturn sanity auras exponentially decay by distance
3) Extra sisturns only give +3 sanity per minute MAX; any more than 3 extra sisturns, and you will get less than +3 per sisturn
4) If you do plan on making multiple sisturns, hugging one sisturn while facing the others is better than being equally close to all sisturns

56 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

that looks good.. But I'd say it's better to be insane, since you can always farm nightmare fuel.. with these EXTREME sanity stations, that would be difficult

Be at 0 sanity when you go to fight a raid boss, seem a good idea.

I use it meanwhile i prepare food (i build it near of the kitchen) so i can be ready to fight for just 4 flowers. If im not thinking in fight nothing big i never use sanity stations, as you said, farming nightmere fuel is one of the most important think in late but even if you are always at 100% sanity you can farm it in other ways

5 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Be at 0 sanity when you go to fight a raid boss, seem a good idea.

I use it meanwhile i prepare food (i build it near of the kitchen) so i can be ready to fight for just 4 flowers. If im not thinking in fight nothing big i never use sanity stations, as you said, farming nightmere fuel is one of the most important think in late but even if you are always at 100% sanity you can farm it in other ways

I did not mean that. I meant when "not" fighting bosses, when you are around the base and have nothing to do, farming night-mare fuel is a good idea. You can't do that if you have 100 sanity stations built nearby

Just now, Charlie Dark said:

I did not mean that. I meant when "not" fighting bosses, when you are around the base and have nothing to do, farming night-mare fuel is a good idea. You can't do that if you have 100 sanity stations built nearby

Ofc, but you can activate the station when you want to use it, it doesnt work without flowers

I tried adding evil flowers around a sisturn and using the bee queen crown, I didn't do the math, but it does add a bunch of sanity, seemingly more than having 4 extra sisturns around. You can still plant flowers the regular way (butterflies) and turn them by haunting.

As long as you are wearing the crown, all auras count as positive, and stack.

EDIT: I did some testing with Wendy and with this disposition (Which is not the best, Im sure it can be improved) I got +54 sanity/minute with sisturn on, and around 30 sanity/minute with sisturn off. With Glommer added, I got +60 sanity/minute.

Spoiler

wendy.jpg.8ba8c083caabe3e27ea0a57114a5fd64.jpg

EDIT 2: Wendy seems to be particularly less affected by the positive auras the bee queen crown gives, so any other non-wendy player will see a stronger effect.
Wilson got +60 sanity/minute without glommer, +67 sanity/minute with glommer.

I like the look of Sisturn- Managing Sanity is never a problem for me, in my current world I’m building a path lined with Sisturn.

I know, I know... waste of resources, blah blah blah whatever.

its my world I’ll do what I want in it...and I think that a path of Sisturns looks like a cute little shrine-like Area, it’s kinda cool actually. :) 

6 hours ago, Charlie Dark said:

that looks good.. But I'd say it's better to be insane, since you can always farm nightmare fuel.. with these EXTREME sanity stations, that would be difficult

Just to be clear; I agree with you for the most part; I personally start off every Autumn doing the torch-flicking method so that I save on torches while deliberately lowering my sanity to get that precious nightmare fuel. However, as a Wicker main who at some point will be reading Horticulture to prepare a base of 12+ people for Winter, I can't afford to waste time killing nightmares, and shadow unloading isn't an option in a multiplayer server where anyone can go wherever they want. I personally find the sisturns valuable because it's an insanely-cheap +30 sanity station I can use to its fullest while I'm crafting or cooking, and the best part is that OTHER people can use it so I don't have to worry about getting them sanity food or farming spiders for tents/siestas.

I am not a solo player, and while I have plenty of respect for those who like to lone-wolf it, solo play is absolutely boring to me. Imo, crowded servers have those extra elements of time and resource management that make the world challenging and fun, and as a result, I don't have the same luxuries solo players have with respect to the benefits of being at 0 sanity, whether it's making dark swords, unloading shadows, or running around with a magiluminescence. 

3 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I tried adding evil flowers around a sisturn and using the bee queen crown, I didn't do the math, but it does add a bunch of sanity, seemingly more than having 4 extra sisturns around. You can still plant flowers the regular way (butterflies) and turn them by haunting.

As long as you are wearing the crown, all auras count as positive, and stack.

EDIT: I did some testing with Wendy and with this disposition (Which is not the best, Im sure it can be improved) I got +54 sanity/minute with sisturn on, and around 30 sanity/minute with sisturn off. With Glommer added, I got +60 sanity/minute.

Hide contents

wendy.jpg.8ba8c083caabe3e27ea0a57114a5fd64.jpg

EDIT 2: Wendy seems to be particularly less affected by the positive auras the bee queen crown gives, so any other non-wendy player will see a stronger effect.
Wilson got +60 sanity/minute without glommer, +67 sanity/minute with glommer.

Awesome! Good to know that a weaker version of the old sanity station is still very viable. I think it's possible the small difference in sanity that you see between Wilson and Wendy might just be caused by something as trivial as standing on a different side of the sisturn, resulting in a certain number of flowers affecting you more and a certain number of flowers affecting you less. 

Also, sorry if I wasn't clear enough in the OP, but even if this method gave less sanity than 4 sisturns, I was trying to make the argument that you should NOT have more than 1 sisturn because of how little sanity an exponentially-decayed sisturn aura gives compared to the cost and - especially - maintenance of those extra sisturns. Even if the crown only added +5 sanity/minute, this method would still be better imo than 3 extra sisturns. 

EDIT: Also, just to add to your sisturn-crown method, you can use a bundling wrap to store your petals so they don't rot whenever you're not using the station; after all, if you were able to get the crown, then you almost certainly have the bundling wrap blueprint unless you got the crown from Klaus.

There are few ideas I can think of at the moment to increase sanity output:

1) You can probably use this trick (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1IyyNgMcz4) to plant multiple flowers at the same spot and then haunt them all. You will need multiple people though and a very precise timing because planting animation is much shorter than building animation. (I wish there was a mod to take advantage of this trick to make sure all people do desired action at the same time)

2) Or you can use same trick to build multiple sisturns at the same place and action queue refilling them with flowers so you can hug them all at once.

I'd prefer first method though because it requires no maintenance once built.

Archived