Nosh-bean farm design

2 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

Sweet little thing. Now i have to scale it up for 24-30 dupes... 

No problem, you can easily extend the farm by building another farm chamber below it and extending the pipe loop. Or instead you can extend it horizontally by making the farm chamber wider.

To add another distiller you can do the same to the machinery room, build another room below or extend the original horizontally, and extend the ethanol feeding pipe through the original ethanol distiller.

2 hours ago, Alexander Block said:

Not need to cooling ethanol. Cooling with polluted water is more effective.

This requires messing with valves and packets to feed exact amounts of ethanol to prevent heating the crops and ethanol build up in the tiles, this usually results in pipe spaghetti, especially when you have a very large farm.

I do not like this method, so I used a different solution.

Ever thought about cooling with wheezie worts?  I made a post about farming sleet wheat with warm water.  The same design can be used for nosh beans

After some testing I wanted to see how hot I can get the water, seemed 85C was the limit so Ethanol straight from a distillery should be fine 

2 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Ever thought about cooling with wheezie worts?  I made a post about farming sleet wheat with warm water.  The same design can be used for nosh beans

After some testing I wanted to see how hot I can get the water, seemed 85C was the limit so Ethanol straight from a distillery should be fine 

That's a lot of worts though...

2 minutes ago, Steve Raptor said:

That's a lot of worts though...

Most maps with ice biomes has between 30 to 50 worts

If you have reached a point to need farming 60 nosh beans like in my farm setup that supports over 40 dupes with spicy tofu.  If you have reached that point good chances you have explored most of the map and have the 32 required worts for this build

Up to personal play style

21 hours ago, Steve Raptor said:

This requires messing with valves and packets to feed exact amounts of ethanol to prevent heating the crops and ethanol build up in the tiles, this usually results in pipe spaghetti, especially when you have a very large farm.

1. Cooling with polluted water more effective than cooling with ethanol, 4.179 vs 2.46 kDTU/g/C
2. Not need to cooling ethanol, plants controls body temperature, which depends on the gas temperature. Plants consumes warm liquid, and remove the heat, not the cold.
3. Is my scheme too complex?! 
In the worst case, which does not happen, you will cool ethanol to the same temperature as water, but more economically.

20200329184619_1.jpg

12 minutes ago, Alexander Block said:

1. Cooling with polluded water more effective than cooling with ethanol 4.179 vs 2.46 kDTU/g/C
2. Not need to cooling ethanol, plants controls body temperature, which depends on the gas temperature. Plants consumes warm liquid, and and remove the heat, not the cold.
3. Is my scheme too complex?! 
In the worst case, which does not happen, you will cool ethanol to the same temperature as water, but more economically.

20200329184619_1.jpg

When I tried it, the plants quickly overheated with hot ethanol, despite the room temperature being -20 degrees, So i'm not sure where did i go wrong, 

762BB4995D517A4989B2C59BDAEB611116122914

Ok, so after playing around with PW/Hot ethanol that's what I got:

1) The room temperature struggled or wasn't able to keep up with the plant temperature and most of the time they wilted

2) The aqua tuner worked for long periods, 70-100% compared to my design ~10%-30%, so while Ethanol is less efficient than PW, the aqua tuner works a lot more.

3) PW freezing point prevented me to cool it to a lower point to compensate the hot ethanol.

Archived