Electrical engineers tune chips wider use

Those tune up chips from power stations are great, but underused. I propose they could also be used in electrical consumers, no just generators. In generators, they increase output by a third, in electrical consumers, the could lower the consumption by a third. A smelter with a tune chip could produce for 800w, instead of 1200w for example. The power station should have to be in the room. 

On 2/25/2020 at 8:38 AM, Yetinotincluded said:

Those tune up chips from power stations are great, but underused. I propose they could also be used in electrical consumers, no just generators. In generators, they increase output by a third, in electrical consumers, the could lower the consumption by a third. A smelter with a tune chip could produce for 800w, instead of 1200w for example. The power station should have to be in the room. 

It wont have much use, if at all.
Once you get to the mid to late game, the power is free and abundant.
There are SO many options to create power in ONI.
A better use for the chips on consumers would be to speed them up.
Lets say remove 1/3 of the manufacture time.

Tuneup on energy producers is always useful. Generators produce a considerable amount of power and it's not too hard to run them efficiently for a long time. Tuneup on energy consumers is a lot less handy. Only a few devices run non stop, and they are rarely as active as you may like. Great targets like aquatuners tend to be in sealed rooms, making them inaccessible.

Faster machines might be handy for some things, but good targets tend to have other bottlenecks. For example the metal refinery quickly gets stalled by how quickly it can move coolant. Dupes also aren't the most reliable janitors, so if your setup requires consistent output then it's not going to work well.

This idea is not useful for veterans who evaporate petroleum and liquify sour gas onto propane and then evaporate it again. This idea is for starting bases that have not found its first natural gas geyser or broken into the crust of the oil biome and have scarce resourses. For them, the save in the big consumers would be equal or better than the gain in sub 800w generators. And this is not meant to replace engie tune up, wich is great, but to add possibilities. 

Maybe I could add more to the idea. This are posible uses. I know this could require some extra button or a rework in the maintenance button in the interface. My apologies, interface designer, we should regard your work more. 

The best suggestion, in my opinion, is at the bottom.

- An industrial or heavy machinery room category should be added, maybe for boosting production speed a little.

- Tune up chips could make the power consumer produce less heat.

- Tuning chips could make the recipe makers produce a little faster in addition to lit workspace. They could also save 5 or 10 percent of some ingredients used, like the lime in the smelter, or the metal in atmo suits.

- Tuning chips could make the cooling and heating equipments perform better, or for less.

- Tuning ships could  make possible for some equipment to accept an optional ingredient. For example, water cleaners could use bleach stone to kill waterborne germs they filter.

- Tuning chip could increase the operational range of robo miners and sweepers by one. Huge. Or, make the robo miner dig superhard material. 

- Tuning chips could be added to rocket cockpits or engines, making the navigation, for that trip, faster due to efficiency, or make the burning of the fuel in engines more optimal, increasing reach.

- Tune up ships in incubators could allow changing the egg to choose the variety of the critter, if you have already found it or have tamed one.

- Tune up chips should be better or last longer according to the material, being lead the worse and steel or and exotic metal the best.

- Refined metal in the chip should not dissapear from the game after the ship dies. It could be extracted from the machine after a short maintenance, something like what happens in terrariums. I know is a little amount but that counts.

- Tuning chip construction and install speed should be proportional to the machinery skill of the dupe. Excuse me if that is the case.

- Tuning chips duration should not be measured in time, but in extra watts produced or saved. That way it would be more fair and effective. Now an Engie tune up is 1/5 less effective in a Manual generator than a petroleum one due to time. But, a 10000 w gain chip would last five times more in a manual generator, making it equally atractive to every generator. That way, tune up chips would be great even in very low power consumers like a research station or even a light bulb in a greenhouse, if that passes.

I hope this additions make my idea better. There has something here you would like, and most proposition are statistical. They do not require extra art.

Archived