allowing offline players to enter shop,item collection,use skins,and obtain item log in

hello there everyone (hopefully a klei staff member) so ive had dont starve together for about a month or three weeks and im really bothered by the fact that offline people cant use the shop or item collection or skins or the item log ins and i dont know why klei hasnt changed that(if they cant im sorry)

so klei staff member if you are reading this please make it to where offline players can use skins and the item collection or the shop or the daily item log ins because it would make offline players happy and it would help you guys gain more money from offline players if that is what you are interested in ok thanks for reading bye

18 hours ago, Warbucks said:

It's like if you bought hamlet and sw for dont starve and you couldn't play it while offline which would've been a load of bullmanure

Exactly. I don’t know how it’s considered acceptable at all to lock important paid for content which is even more expensive than those great DLCs... One DLC character is the price of the entirety of Shipwrecked... and you lose your privilege to use what you paid for when offline it’s complete nonsense.

Not being able to play in your “online” worlds while offline is also such a joke I could laugh out loud. It makes me really wish Don’t Starve could get all of the together content as it’s clearly the better game with Don’t Starve Together having a bunch of online only game mechanics which are very anti-consumer friendly.

It's the simple fact that the characters are technically considered a skin, and as such if allowed to be used in offline play, it'd result in those skins becoming client side.

This opens the game up to exploitation by allowing these things to be used client side, like cheating the system to allow infinite copies of Essential Wortox, which can be unraveled into infinite spools, and essentially crashing Klei's source of income.

The reason you're only allowed to use them online is because Klei has to check and make sure you actually own the skins and aren't doing any funny business. As soon as it becomes client side they really have no way of checking to make sure your skins are legit.

1 hour ago, watermelen671 said:

It's the simple fact that the characters are technically considered a skin, and as such if allowed to be used in offline play, it'd result in those skins becoming client side.

This opens the game up to exploitation by allowing these things to be used client side, like cheating the system to allow infinite copies of Essential Wortox, which can be unraveled into infinite spools, and essentially crashing Klei's source of income.

The reason you're only allowed to use them online is because Klei has to check and make sure you actually own the skins and aren't doing any funny business. As soon as it becomes client side they really have no way of checking to make sure your skins are legit.

I don’t understand this, I figured you would only have access to content you have already Unlocked, and you wouldn’t be able to earn more or unlock anything else while in offline mode, You also would not be able to view items you don’t already own, so you can’t Weave or Unravel ANYTHING At All.

I bring this up because I play Ubisoft games a lot and a good Majority Of Ubi Games has purchaseable characters and Cosmetics like DST, However when playing those games in Offline mode you no longer have access to the Store Shop or any other items you don’t already own.

Such as for example STEEP steep locks you out of progressing through the story, saving high scores, accessing the shop or using any of the additional DLC Activities While Offline.

However any DLC Clothing you have purchased is SAVED as a clothing Preset, and can be used Offline.

The Curio Cabinet in DST could be used in this way.. I think? But don’t take my word for that cause I honestly don’t know.

it is However quite sad that I can’t access the items I paid for when my Internet shorts out. 

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

[snip]

Not really, because what you own is linked to your Steam account. 

Yes you own it, but you only own it server side. Like if suddenly Steam goes bottom up you no longer technically own those skins.

From what I can tell, the game does two checks:

1. What your steam inventory says

2. What your "in-game" inventory says

If both check out, then congrats you have the skin and can use it.

All of this is speculation so I could be absolutely 100% wrong. I dunno.

32 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Not really, because what you own is linked to your Steam account. 

Yes you own it, but you only own it server side. Like if suddenly Steam goes bottom up you no longer technically own those skins.

From what I can tell, the game does two checks:

1. What your steam inventory says

2. What your "in-game" inventory says

If both check out, then congrats you have the skin and can use it.

All of this is speculation so I could be absolutely 100% wrong. I dunno.

I understand what you are saying but I do have just two more Questions.

What is Stopping Klei from allowing us to access our 10 clothing skin Presets in the game at a Wardrobe on an Offline game? 

And what is stopping us from Creating the Celestial Portal and then Swapping Characters to Wortox,Wurt Or Wormwood? 

I think Measures COULD be made with those two items to allow us to use our DLC items in Offline worlds, However the way they function as an item would have to be changed so that-

Players can not view items they don’t already own.

Players Can Not Weave or Unravel items in their Inventory.

You won’t have access to your Spool count.

But ultimately in the end it would probably be way more work then it is worth.. and while it is sad that we can not have these QoL features, I do believe it is better to focus development time elsewhere, such as Character Reworks, New Biomes and more.

21 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think Measures COULD be made with those two items to allow us to use our DLC items in Offline worlds, However the way they function as an item would have to be changed so that-

Players can not view items they don’t already own.

Players Can Not Weave or Unravel items in their Inventory.

You won’t have access to your Spool count.

But ultimately in the end it would probably be way more work then it is worth.. and while it is sad that we can not have these QoL features, I do believe it is better to focus development time elsewhere, such as Character Reworks, New Biomes and more.

As soon as ANYTHING becomes client-sided, it becomes a matter of time before it is exploited.

Why do you think the Gorge and the Forge were all hosted on Klei servers? It's because of that exact same reason.

6 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

As soon as ANYTHING becomes client-sided, it becomes a matter of time before it is exploited.

Why do you think the Gorge and the Forge were all hosted on Klei servers? It's because of that exact same reason.

:( that is sad, but now I must ask how do the Gorge and Forge Mods avoid being exploited then?

18 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

:( that is sad, but now I must ask how do the Gorge and Forge Mods avoid being exploited then?

Afaik there's nothing to prevent cheating in those mods, but there's also point doing that because you don't get any reward for winning, unlike during the actual events. If these events were client sided, I'm sure people would have found a way to gain infinite spools with little to no effort. Even this way there were people idling for xp and spools.

34 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

Afaik there's nothing to prevent cheating in those mods, but there's also point doing that because you don't get any reward for winning, unlike during the actual events. If these events were client sided, I'm sure people would have found a way to gain infinite spools with little to no effort. Even this way there were people idling for xp and spools.

I don’t care about XP or Spools, I just want a chance to play and enjoy the game content that is part of the game I bought, that so far.. those events have been pretty much a Myth for Console players.

I use the word Myth because very very few Console players actually got to Play or partake within the Gorge event, and correct me if I am wrong about this, but I don’t believe the Forge was ever available (I Only got to Play Gorge on Xbox One.. and that lasted a few days before  disappearing never to be seen again, I NEVER saw Forge.)

But, The Xbox One version of DST STILL Does not have Dedicated Servers either.... (I Check every day just to see if that’s changed The OPTION to Select them is there in the Menu’s but.. No list of servers ever show up.)

Archived