How do you remove chests?

Im running two dedicated servers. One with free creative mode, one survival, pvp disabled on both to stem the tide griefing. Since Im new to the game, some features on how to do simple tasks are eluding me. One such task is deleting some chests I put in my mushroom house. I thought I test out what they look like, along with what stored more. When it came time to removing them, discovered the hammer wont break them. Anyone have a clue on how to break these up or a admin command to remove them? I saw a boss monster break a chest out doors but no clue yet what it was or even how to spawn one should this be my only means.

Normal standard chests? The ones you make with 3 boards? 

You hammer them. It does work, maybe you are not pressing the right keys? Been awhile since I last played on pc, though, so I dunno if there is a specific combination. 

By mushroom house are you referring to the mod that adds a craftable mushroom-styled house, reminiscent of the Hamlet houses? If so, it could very well be an issue tied to the mod itself; especially if you find that you can break chests normally on the outside, but not inside. Placement could be wonky on the inside of the house, so if the issue still persists try contacting the mod author about the issue on the workshop.

Alternatively, you can try spawning a Clockwork Rook inside to destroy it (better than a boss mob as it has far less health, but also has a structure-destroying attack; making it easier to kill). The console command should be: c_spawn("rook")  Or  DebugSpawn("rook") 

Thanks for the info. I used the admin mod To many Items Plus which has many features programmed into the mod so you dont have to look up many of the normal console commands. One of them was a list of chests. One can be broken with a hammer which was the small chest. The larger two could not be. Broken. Im guessing these most likely are normally found in dungeons? I ended up emptying the place, then destroyed the house with the chests inside, replaced a new house which Im glad to say was clear of chests. 

Archived