Automation Wifi signal

Hello, I would like to suggest my idea that comes due to a really expensive and large automated base: making the automation wire a.. wireless signal

My suggestion is to create 2 new components to send automation signal in very far locations

• Automation signal emitter (or wifi emitter)
  • Automation signal receiver

Automation signal emitter (or wifi emitter)

• Cost: ~50-100 refined metal (more or less 10- 20 automation wire pieces) - optional plastic and/or 10W power since it could be very powerful if not limited.
  • Size: 1 or 2 tiles.
  • Automation: 1 input: when green, send the signal to all the receivers - I was also thinking to add another input to enable/disable it but it could become very confusing, so probably the power should not be required or the user should use the power-switch to toggle it.
  • Configuration (inputs): a number from 0 to the Int16 max number to define the frequency. As an alternative, to simplify, we could also use colors so it could be viewed in the drawing (e.g. as a "light bulb, like the refrigerator does when full") but it will limit the frequency range.
  • Range: I would leave to a full range but, in case it is too powerful, the emitter could be limited to a range as the sweeper does. In this case, it could be also limited by walls making the user think about its placement. Good value for the range could be 10 tiles from the center (20 tiles diameter, double of the sweeper)
  • Tab: automation, next to the wires
  • Possible issues with solutions:
    • No frequency selected: should display a warning (as filters do) no signal is emitted when receiving a green automation signal.
    • Multiple emitters with the same frequency: no issue at all, when any emitter goes green, all the receivers turn green too.

Automation signal receiver

• Cost: ~10-20 refined metal (consider that I could set up many receivers for one emitter) - optional plastic.
  • Size: 1 tile.
  • Automation: 1 output to turn green when a signal from the same frequency is received.
  • Configuration (inputs): the same as the emitter, should have the same value to receive it.
  • Range: already limited by the emitter, it could be too much to limit also this component.
  • Tab: automation, next to the wires

Automation signal repeater

In case the emitter is limited by a range, I was also thinking about the "repeater" component. Anyway, this could be easily being replaced by the user combining a receiver + an emitter next together (see attachments)

I added few attachments to better represent the idea, I hope you like it!

Thank you

Attachments:

Red signal on the receiver

wifi_red-signal.png

Green signal on the receiver (frequency version) - only same frequency (Hz) goes to green

wifi_green-signal.png

Green signal on the receiver (color version) - only same color goes to green

wifi_colors.png

Range example - only inside the range the receiver turns green

wifi_range.png

Repeater example: a receiver + an emitter to extend the range - it could also change the frequency/color to change the signal

wifi_repeater.png

20 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Very very very old suggestion, suggested many many times before..

I was not able to find that on the forum so thanks for highlighted it, but hey, if there are so many topics, it means it is very appreciated, am I right?

18 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

That's what I mean but it is a user's mod (and reading the comments, no more working). I would like to have it official, also I hate to find missing objects when loading with a new game version or when the mod is no more supported.

Just now, dukearena said:

That's what I mean but it is a user's mod (and reading the comments, no more working). I would like to have it official, also I hate to find missing objects when loading with a new game version or when the mod is no more supported.

It works just fine, am the author. Steam has issues with serving new files just after they are posted after game update so it's not uncommon when people ask whether X is still working or just having steam issues -- I've been supporting my ~40 mods for over a year now so you can sleep safe about this one :p

You can want everything. But at this point, dont count on anything from the original devs. Its for a reason they´ve build in mod support. Modders can add features, KLEI never wanted in the base game, or just had not the dev-time to make it happen. Mods cover this, but its your choice if you use them. 

Archived