Game Froze And Files Now Deleted From PC

I'm not sure if this goes here or under bugs. My pc completely froze while opening up my solo DST world. It happens sometimes and I just force shut down no big deal. But this time when I tried to open the game, a download screen popped up. The game icon was there and I didn't check to see if the Klei files were there but why wouldn't they be? So I install a bit worried something went wrong and when I go to my servers they are all gone (I had four though only using two). I go into the game files/clusters and they are all there, Cluster 1 through 4 however the file that I ws playing (in cluster 4) is now gone. I mean the Master file is completely wiped. The Caves are still there and intact but no main folder. I attempted to reset my pc to an earlier date since there were no older versions for the game available but it said that it didn't modify my files.

What the f happened and is it possible to get my files back? This is the second time I've had to get that specific world back and I have lost my mega collection of Halloween items as well as a forest I dedicated to Christmas ornaments and I don't want to lose them if possible.

Souds like the save data got corrupted. Not exactly sure why the resy of the worlds broke but my money is on that the crash corrupted the save file and speread to the other files, which made it reinstall all the files as the original ones were corrupted.

8 hours ago, Zewastian said:

My pc completely froze while opening up my solo DST world. It happens sometimes and I just force shut down no big deal.

Mmm, that's highly unadvised to do.  Forced shutdown cuts power to all of the hardware immediately with no time for a graceful power down sequence.  Your harddrive could be in middle of writing to disk, which I assume is what happened here, causing corruption.

You may be able to use recovery software to get it back, but it'd be advised to put the disk as a read only slave until you can recover, otherwise using it may result in Windows overwriting the area on disk.  From your post it would imply you've already used it and are continuing to do so, so this may have already been gone to the wind.

Of course there's always going to be the `you should have a backup for all of your important data` idea, since hard drive space is so relatively cheap anymore.  You don't need an SSD for this, just a normal platter drive.  Might even be able to get away with using a few USB thumb drives for redundancy.

With that, I wish you luck in recovery if you choose to do this.  It's the only thing that'll be on your side when it comes to corruption.

Archived