Chintzygnat7

Should Giants be able to destroy catcoons?

Recommended Posts

I was on my world when around day 600 I noticed I have no catcoon dens but I saw them the first time when exploring the map. I remembered I had bearger in my deciduous for later use like killing deerclops when he comes around, and I thought maybe he killed the dens. I think catcoons dens shouldn't be removed completely but put on their dead stump state to prevent giants from making catcoons extinct, and maybe with that a little update that restores worlds with no catcoon dens.

Edited by Chintzygnat7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dynamix_Roxx    324

Catcoons, volt goats, beefalo. Any type of creature that doesn’t respawn somehow should have a way to return to the world if they’re aren’t any left. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NSAiswatchingus    2,320
1 hour ago, Dynamix_Roxx said:

Catcoons, volt goats, beefalo. Any type of creature that doesn’t respawn somehow should have a way to return to the world if they’re aren’t any left. 

While I like there being SOME actual risks in DST, I really feel for those that have lost irreplaceable resources in a longterm world. I personally think it should stay as is, but man does it suck when it happens. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josonic    205

There needs to be more challenge to the game, not less.

Catcoons aren't terribly useful in the first place and its trivial keeping their dens intact. Learn from your mistakes and do better next time.

Your hand is not supposed to be held.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PSV_USA    129
15 hours ago, Josonic said:

There needs to be more challenge to the game, not less.

Catcoons aren't terribly useful in the first place and its trivial keeping their dens intact. Learn from your mistakes and do better next time.

Your hand is not supposed to be held.

Spoken like a true troll.

Exactly what mistake did the OP make that he should "learn from"? He's simply asking about a game mechanic and suggesting an idea he'd like to see implemented to make the game more enjoyable for him (or her). I don't see anything wrong with that nor do I see any helpfulness in a comment that says nothing more useful than "Do better" at it's core.


Step outside of your closed little head space occasionally. You will find out many people enjoy this game on many different levels. You like DST on hardcore mode? Great, more power to you. That doesn't make everyone else's play styles invalid or "trivial". Not to mention gamer input on these forums is, in part, what helps developers make better games over time.

Maybe the OP's idea is viable in the DST universe and maybe it's not, but they shouldn't get torn down for expressing it. Even if you disagree, you can do so with a bit of tact. You could learn a lot by reading some of NSAiswatchingus's posts.

Sorry for the rant, everyone else. I just get so tired of people going out of their way to display divisive, unhelpful behavior. It's an internet plague. 

Edited by PSV_USA
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josonic    205
On 12/28/2019 at 8:45 AM, PSV_USA said:

Spoken like a true troll.

Exactly what mistake did the OP make that he should "learn from"? He's simply asking about a game mechanic and suggesting an idea he'd like to see implemented to make the game more enjoyable for him (or her). I don't see anything wrong with that nor do I see any helpfulness in a comment that says nothing more useful than "Do better" at it's core.


Step outside of your closed little head space occasionally. You will find out many people enjoy this game on many different levels. You like DST on hardcore mode? Great, more power to you. That doesn't make everyone else's play styles invalid or "trivial". Not to mention gamer input on these forums is, in part, what helps developers make better games over time.

Maybe the OP's idea is viable in the DST universe and maybe it's not, but they shouldn't get torn down for expressing it. Even if you disagree, you can do so with a bit of tact. You could learn a lot by reading some of NSAiswatchingus's posts.

Sorry for the rant, everyone else. I just get so tired of people going out of their way to display divisive, unhelpful behavior. It's an internet plague. 

I'm a troll because I disagree? How is that not 'divisive unhelpful behavior'?

OP learned not to leave Bearger around unrenewables.

Many people do like it on different levels and that's what world settings are for. I would like the game to be harder. It's much easier to use the tools given to make it easier than it is to make it harder, but you dont see me whining to the devs about mechanics that have worked fine for years.

I didnt say that OPs playstyle is trivial (that doesnt even make sense, and please don't put words in my mouth). I said keeping their dens from being destroyed is trivial, and I stand by that.

I didnt tear down OP. I didnt call them a noob. I didnt say 'git gud son'. I disagreed with them and explained exactly why. 

As far as that other part you mentioned goes, I think its rude to bring other users into an argument they had nothing to do with it as though they're taking your side. I would like to say more about that but then I'd be stooping to your level.

Edited by Josonic
Autocorrect issues, also removed section referencing another forum user

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PSV_USA    129
13 hours ago, Josonic said:

I'm a troll because I disagree?

No. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing. It's the manner and tone of it that makes you a troll. You come across as an arrogant, conceited person who believes their way of play is THE way of play.

If you can't read your own post from an objective viewpoint and see that, then explaining tact and courtesy to you is a waste of time.

The OP was not whining, btw. They just pointed out a change they would like to see in the future. That's called input, not "whining". If making suggestions for future consideration is whining, then what exactly are you doing when you say  "There needs to be more challenge to the game, not less." or "I would like the game to be harder." Should I say you're whining for making that statement? 

Also, I did not "bring" another user into this conversation. I simply pointed out someone I have seen disagree with other users many times, but do so in a respectful and well thought out way. 

Funny, huh? I think you're rude for your curt, condescending remarks and you think I'm rude for pointing them out. 

Neither of us are the most tactful of people, but at least one of us has the good sense to recognize and acknowledge it.

Allow me to make my final point on this conversation just to put it to bed in it's proper context.

I believe your post was snarky and condescending. "
Learn from your mistakes and do better next time." :)



 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dunk Mujunk    343

I know this wont help the OP in their world now, but I recently read about a strategy for dealing with Bearger that ive absolutely fallen in love with.

With the addition of the Lunar Isles obviously introducing islands, you can craft a Telelocator Staff and a Telelocator Focus, place the Focus on one of the small islands, and when Bearger shows up you can just teleport him to said island. Because he wont despawn like Deerclops he will stay there unless you go kill him. And if you do go kill him you can always just teleport him when he spawns again.

Now me and my gf will kill Bearger the first 2 Autumns of a world for the loot, then ship him to the islands the 3rd year and never have to deal with him again, making Autumn a truly care free season.

Unfortunately this wont help the OP with said world now, as the damage has already been done. I disagree with Catcoons not being useful, and id hate to lose them from our world.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

I know this wont help the OP in their world now, but I recently read about a strategy for dealing with Bearger that ive absolutely fallen in love with.

With the addition of the Lunar Isles obviously introducing islands, you can craft a Telelocator Staff and a Telelocator Focus, place the Focus on one of the small islands, and when Bearger shows up you can just teleport him to said island. Because he wont despawn like Deerclops he will stay there unless you go kill him. And if you do go kill him you can always just teleport him when he spawns again.

Now me and my gf will kill Bearger the first 2 Autumns of a world for the loot, then ship him to the islands the 3rd year and never have to deal with him again, making Autumn a truly care free season.

Unfortunately this wont help the OP with said world now, as the damage has already been done. I disagree with Catcoons not being useful, and id hate to lose them from our world.

 

Thank you for the idea to remove bearger as it will help relieve stress on my world and especially with bearger acting different when deerclops dies to him, sadly I got to either tank deerclops now or have treeguards spawn, but I will definitely use this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dunk Mujunk    343
26 minutes ago, Chintzygnat7 said:

sadly I got to either tank deerclops now or have treeguards spawn

If you search the Birch Biome there will always be a Pan flute on the ground around the Glommer statue. Then just get 19 Nitre, 19 Charcoal, and 19 Rotten Eggs to craft 19 Gunpowder.

The Rotten Eggs take the most work to get. We always build a Birdcage asap, the Papyrus taking the most work to get. I will always grab 8 Reeds from the swamp when I first explore a new word, which is enough for 2 Papyrus, which is all thats needed for the Birdcage. You can then feed the bird any kind of meat for eggs in return. Seeing as how you need Silk for the Bird Trap, you should already have a bit of meat to feed the bird.

It takes about 10 days for Eggs to turn to Rotten Eggs (dont put them in the Icebox, they will take way longer to rot), so during the first in game year, as long as you have 19 Eggs rotting before day 20 you will have more than enough time to let them rot.

From there, we always have a Fire pit set up a bit away from base. Deerclops always spawns near the players, then proceeds to the nearest player structure. This lets you keeps your base out of harm's way. Once he shows up on screen on his way to the pit, use the Panflute to put him to sleep, run up to him and drop the Gunpowder, equip a torch and light it, then back off to get out of range of the explosion. It will blow up, light Deerclops on fire, and wake him up. He will then stomp around on fire for a bit. Just avoid him and his attacks until the fire goes out, and when it does rush in just after one of his attacks and hit him 2 or 3 times with a Spear or better for an easy kill.

Take note, it seems that the Winters Feast version of Deerclops wakes up from the Panflute effect quicker than regular Deerclops. We have needed to play the Panflute a second time to keep Deerclops on the Gunpowder long enough for it to explode.

And you can always use 20 Gunpowder to straight blow him up in 1 shot, though all his loot will burn.

99.9% of the time Deerclops shows up the night of Day 31 if you have all the season settings of a world on Default. He generally shows up about 10 days after the start of Winter during the first 3 years, and it seems like his spawn time starts shifting a lot once you hit the 4th year of a world.

We have no qualms about rolling back, so we always take care of him each year to avoid complications.

And you obviously dont need to start a new world to do this, you can start running this strategy at any point of a world.

New Panflutes are also craftable, with a Mandrake being the most important ingredient.

There is also the option of Sleep Darts as opposed to a Panflute. I think it takes 3 Darts to put him to sleep, you just need to take into account the extra damage and maybe use 18 Gunpowder instead of 19. You may also need to put him to sleep twice just as with the Panflute, which will complicate things.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now