Reforged - Forged Forge reworked!

This post is incredibly late, oops.

Massive Forged Forge Update
It’s finally here, after several months of ups, downs, and hardwork, we finally finished the massive rework. There’s quite a bit to cover and while I want to talk about the content right now, there is something that current users of Forged Forge (FF) will need to know:

Re-uploading the mod
Unfortunately to some, this update will be hosted on a re-uploaded version of Forged Forge (rebranded to Reforged). While this will be annoying to some, including those who run dedicated servers, hear me out.
Mods uploaded to the workshop for some reason do not allow contributors to edit/update the mod. This can lead to potential issues later down the road. So to prevent these issues and give more freedom to other people working on the mod, we have set up a group account which we will upload this rework on.
 From this point onward, only the new uploaded mod will receive updates, the old FF mod will be up for a few months (to allow users to be notified and move over to the new mod) and will be deleted or hidden afterwards.

With that out of the way, we can now talk about the content in this rework:

Loads of Bug Fixes/Accuracy improvements
It’s not a secret that our current state of FF is not very accurate and tends to be very exploitable.  We took it upon ourselves to research as much as we could of Forge and prove all behaviors with evidence, and what we found was surprising. As a result, everything has changed in various ways. We will share our findings in a later post that will show proof supporting these changes. While most of these changes won’t be noticeable to the average player, it’s important to us that the mod achieves its goal of recreating the Forge event.

New Features!
It’d be pretty lame if the only thing we did was fix bugs. So we added many new things, the most important of which is the new Game Settings Panel. Here you can change the game settings on the fly, no longer will you need to restart or manually edit your mod config files to play a different waveset. You’ll notice in this pic below that there’s also quite a few new options on customizing your forge experience.

Mutators
Mutators are options that you can apply to your new run of forge. While a few of these options seem familiar, we added some new ones as well. Think you can beat the forge without your HUD? Can you beat it with PvP enabled? Or maybe you think you can beat it without being able to sleep mobs? OR maybe you’ll try out endless mode, where the waves reset when beaten with it getting progressively difficult each time. You can do all these options and even have more than one enabled at a time.

GameTypes
Gametypes are a more indepth modification of the forge game itself, changing how it works. Red Light/Green Light from Forged Forge has been converted into a gametype and we added a new RL/GL version introducing some new lights as well. I don’t want to spoil on what these lights do, but it’s definitely harder than the old RL/GL.

Difficulties
A brand new feature is the addition of a difficulty setting. Currently, we only have one new difficulty: Hard Mode. This makes changes to the mobs and some other mechanics to make things… well, hard. I don’t want to spoil all of the new stuff there that comes with hard mode so I recommend checking it out for yourself. Difficulty settings can be run on any waveset and gametype as well.

New Lobby Features
We added some fun stuff in the lobby: Interactable characters, dynamic shifting of portraits, and most importantly *the ability to vote kick*. Yes, finally you have the option to vote kick that one Wilson who never readies up. You can also vote to change game settings, force start, and cancel force start. Admins have the power to avoid voting if they choose to. There are also some new chat features which include removing the auto scroll to the bottom if a new message has been posted, notifying you of a new message in chat if not scrolled down all the way, and increasing the chat limit. You probably also noticed…

Exp System
You can now earn exp and level up like in the original Forge. However, it’s slightly different. There is now a rank system. When you level up to certain milestones you will notice that your avatar’s banner will change as you level up. You might also notice that the level displayed on your character is different when switching between characters and that it differs from your level on the player list. This is because now each individual character (including modded) now has their own individual level as well. Players can now use this level system to know how much experience a player has playing Forge and how much experience they have on a specific character. This is purely cosmetic and you will NOT unlock forge chests.

New Characters’ Perks and Optional Balance changes
Of course we didn’t forget about the new characters. Wortox, Warly, Wormwood, and Wurt are finally now complete with their own new unique perks and custom weapons.

Modes
There are currently three modes available: Forge S01, Forge S02, and ReForged. Now you can choose which year of Forge you want to play. Currently this just changes mob behaviours and does not affect item drops. ReForged is our own version of the Forge where we attempt to balance the Forge based on community feedback (like making Abigail useful). Currently it doesn’t change much, but we will continue to add to it as we gather ideas for it.

Modding Improvements
We rewrote most of the code and now things are a lot more organized/optimized and it is now a lot easier to make mods with ReForged. The depth of these changes will be in the guides we are making. With all the new additions above, you can also mod in your own additions to these! 

We got plans for Reforged later down the line to help keep things interesting, including Hallowed Forge in halloween of 2020!

New mod is here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1938752683

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CameoAppearance said:

For the mod characters who were given custom Forged Forge perks, will Reforged be compatible with those?

Yes, they should. We did change a lot of things tho (like how pets get buffed with pet armor) but I think most, if not all mod characters, that were made compatible should work just fine.

On 12/23/2019 at 7:38 AM, Leonardo Cox said:

Yes, they should. We did change a lot of things tho (like how pets get buffed with pet armor) but I think most, if not all mod characters, that were made compatible should work just fine.

Have confirmed. I had to change a few things for Warfarin but they were all my mistake that just came into effect with Reforged's imrpoved code. :p Most other mods that have Forge support shouldn't need to change though.

Having a bit of fun as Wortox - kinda funny considering Warf's Forge power was going to be a dagger that let them dash. Though was the removal of the iFrames intentional for balance or simply an oversight due to not being able to take health while the character is invulnerable?

Edited by Mr. Tiddles

10 hours ago, Mr. Tiddles said:

Have confirmed. I had to change a few things for Warfarin but they were all my mistake that just came into effect with Reforged's imrpoved code. :p Most other mods that have Forge support shouldn't need to change though.

Having a bit of fun as Wortox - kinda funny considering Warf's Forge power was going to be a dagger that let them dash. Though was the removal of the iFrames intentional for balance or simply an oversight due to not being able to take health while the character is invulnerable?

I assume you mean wortox's teleportation iframes? In which case, we did it for both balance and needing to take health away.

Edited by Leonardo Cox

47 minutes ago, Leonardo Cox said:

I assume you mean wortox's teleportation iframes? In which case, we did it for both balance and needing to take health away.

Yes, that! Personally I reckon the iFrames should be reincluded (which as long as the health delta is before the invincibility being applied will still work) because getting hit cancels the animation, which means you've just wasted health if you're trying to make some distance, or even if you could still be hit but it just didn't interrupt it. Could be balanced by upping either the health cost or the cooldown since it seems to be even shorter than Lucy's throw at the moment! 

Just thought I'd throw it out there since if you land yourself in a sticky situation - especially in smaller parties - the ability becomes more of a liability than helpful. Honestly that's the only gripe I have with it - but you lot have done a terrific job regardless! (Also I was digging through the code, and saw a certain possible feature for my boy Maxwell that made me very excited.)

EDIT: Somehow never realized Wortox was never invulnerable during the portal_jumpin_pre state. It always felt more generous...maybe just because you're in a less crowded space outside of the Forge.

Edited by Mr. Tiddles