Discussion About The New Features

Well...Winter’s Feast is finally here !! With a bunch of new cosmetics,structures,mobs,new mechanics,items and twitch drops.
I don’t want to be “that guy” who likes to point out flaws and/or bugs, but I feel like there’s too much potential behind this event but it’s not being used correctly.

Just to be clear I’m not a game designer,I just think that this event could be 100 times better with just simple tweaks ;)

First,about the cookie crumbles, why implement it to the game if a SINGLE SEED can be more beneficial in terms of food and health regen (if cooked),I just pick these items up when I’m not farming for ornaments and treats,and sometimes I don’t even care about picking it,because everything I want is to know if I’m gonna have an encounter with a GingerVarg or a GingerVillage. Sure,they are used as a way to guide you and spoil fast because you’re supposed to chase the pig,but just spawning random villages and having footprints for the varg wouldn't have the same results ?

In my opinion a simple way to make it worth the time is :

•Using it and rot to create eternal fruitcakes.
•Being able to build ginger villages with the crumbles.
•Being able to create Gingerpigs in the oven by combining the crumbles with some of your life.

Second,the recipes that we make in the new oven are not worth the effort,I get it that it’s only a “little silly holiday mechanic” and is not supposed to be something that REALLY impact the structure of the game like the new ocean and stuff,but think about it this way :

We had some potions in Hallowed Nights,most of them were pretty basic and helped to build that creepy atmosphere to the event,however,we also had a potion that LITERALLY made living logs hundreds times easy to farm and a potion that was similar to the jellybeans but could be used by early game players as a way to get a boost in their journey. It was a magnificent balance between “funny” and “practical”. Now look at the oven:

We can eat with our friends ? Sure !!! 
We can eat with strangers ??? Of course !!! 
The dishes last long ??
Almost a whole ingame year if eaten twice everyday !!!
Is there any incentive to do this ? Are the recipes good ??
Huuummm...not really.....

If what the event want us to do it’s gather the holiday cheer and feast together,maybe a little buff to the food would be greatly beneficial. Maybe something like:

•Reducing the durability of the new dishes and buffing it’s benefits.
•Every time you feast with someone one of you will get the holiday cheer.
•Slightly increase on the buff radius.

And last but not least :

PLEASE LET ME PLACE NORMAL FOOD AT THE TABLES SO MY FRIENDS CAN EAT ICE CREAM WITH ME .  ;-; 

Just divide the benefits by the number of players eating it,I don’t care, I just want to eat some ice cream in the summer nights,around an endotermic campfire with my friends.

And I also have a reflexion,the festive lights and sleep under a tree mechanic are SOOOOOOOO GOOOOD and they are just allowed to exist in this time of the year,I can wait the ENTIRE YEAR just to use them again,but what about these other new mechanics ?? If not touched or updated,I'm afraid I'll never use them again...and in my opinion that's the difference between a good and a mediocre mechanic.

26 minutes ago, Bernado1 said:

Is there any incentive to do this ? Are the recipes good ??
Huuummm...not really.....

Wormwood regenerates health, Wolfgang keeps his mighty form 24/7, Wickerbottom restores her sanity, if they're feasting. Other characters do also get a nice advantage from that effect. And the effect does not only affect a single player, it can affect an infinite amount of players, restoring an insane amount of Health, Hunger and Sanity in total. And the recipes aren't that bad because you need to get many different items to get a nice table, else you'll either need to spend more time feasting or get a lower stat boost.

3 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Wormwood regenerates health, Wolfgang keeps his mighty form 24/7, Wickerbottom restores her sanity, if they're feasting.And the recipes aren't that bad because you need to get many different items to get a nice table, else you'll either need to spend more time feasting or get a lower stat boost.

Well yes,but actually no...

The Wormwood part is true tho,but only because the character has a major downside that keeps it from being OP.
*not gaining health by food*

Wickerbottom case is the best because the sanity is the fastest meter of all 3,making these dishes worth for her.

Wolfgang however have 28 huger points drained every minute he’s in his mighty form.
So I’m the worst case scenario you would need to wait 30s to overcompensate the 28 hunger points drained,I know that when you’re eating the meter doesn’t go down but I can assure you. As an old Wilson main and former Wolfgang main,these dishes *ARE NOT* worth to keep Wolfgang’s mighty form active,maybe help in those one time in life events when you don’t have enough food. Instead of waiting to the meter slowly built up until 300 you’d better prepare something in the crockpot or just slay some mobs (if you’re playing Wolfgang for real).

And yes I know if you feast more you’ll gain more health,sanity and hunger,but you know what’s better than being stuck in one place eating for a whole night ? Gandering ingredients to make dishes in the crockpot that are instantaneous eaten,you don’t need to place it anywhere and you can stock the remaining ingredients in the ice box for later recipes.

One thing that was the last straw for me was when I discovered that a simple dish like Surf’n’turf,which only requires *1 monster meat and 3 fish meats* can give you a benefit greater than feasting for 3 minutes, almost half a day.
(excluding the extra 30 health)

Spoiler

Eating 3 minutes straight :
30 hunger 
90 health 
30 sanity 

One Surf’n’Turf:(2 sec animation)
37,5 hunger 
60 health 
33 sanity

40 minutes ago, Bernado1 said:

[...]

Now you're just using the worst case scenario on my statement to show me that you're right here.

Let's recalculate everything together.
With only 1 Holiday Cheer and the perhaps easiest recipe (Latkes: 1x Grass, 1x Twigs) you can restore the following values:

If you're feasting as Wilson alone on a single table, you'll feast for a minute, the buff lasts for about 80 seconds, and you'll restore about
40 Health, 12.5 Hunger, and 13.33 Sanity.

But we're still not over here! Feasting restores about as much hunger as you loose, but If you look exactly at you or other characters like for example Wolfgang, you'll see that Wilson will restore his hunger as fast as Wolfgang, which means that as Wilson, you'll restore 25 Hunger, and as mighty Wolfgang you'll restore 37.5 Hunger if your hunger bar is at 300: You won't restore any hunger at all, but your hunger bar won't fall, which means that you won't loose the 37.5 Hunger and thus actually restore 37.5 Hunger during the feast.

So actually you would restore
40 Health, 25 Hunger, and 13.33 Sanity as Wilson, or
40 Health, 37.5 Hunger, and 13.33 Sanity as Wolfgang.

Now let's say we feast together as 8: With 8 Players, the buff will last for a total of ~140 seconds, and during that time you would restore
70 Health, 43,75 Hunger, and 23.33 Sanity.
But now we need to include the fact, that we aren't feasting alone but as 8, so in the meantime all together would restore:
560 Health, 350 Hunger, and 186.67 Sanity
with nothing but 1x Holiday Cheer, 1x Grass, 1x Twigs and 1 min of ideling.

And then again, the best case: If everyone would be a mighty Wolfgang, then everyone would restore a total of:
560 Health, 525 Hunger, and 186.67 Sanity

Now looking at your Surf'n'Turf, which restores
60 Health, 37.5 Hunger, and 33 Sanity
you would need:
9.33x to compensate the Health,
14x to compensate the Hunger, and
5.66x to compensate the Sanity.

Which means that you would need to get 42x fish meats and 14x monster meats to compensate 1x feasting with Surf'n'Turf only.

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:

Makes sense,although I’m seeing it all with a perspective based on a duo/solo play style I can see the logic here,and don’t think I’m trying to prove you wrong bruh you took your time to post your opinion in this topic and I respect that ; )

For the cookie crumbles... you could argue that suspicious looking dirt piles are the same. The tracks all look the same and don't tell you whether you're getting a Koalephant, Varg or Ewecus. So why should the cookie crumbles? They weren't meant to be eaten btw.

Creating Gingerpig Villages are just for aesthetics imo. And by reading your comment... I don't think you like aesthetics. So I ask you this, why have this recipe? Is it just so that an item that has only one use gets another reason to keep it?

As for the feasting, I believe @Viktor234 has already covered it.

28 minutes ago, Booklover said:

I don't think you like aesthetics. So I ask you this, why have this recipe? Is it just so that an item that has only one use gets another reason to keep it ?

At first I thought that the basic loop gameplay was something like : pursue the Gingerpigs,have an encounter with the varg or the village,pillage everything and them build your own village. So you can have an infinite amount of cookie crumbles and etc.
But after realizing that this is not a thing I wondered if I could write this idea down so that maybe one day this could get implemented to the game. And yes,I like aesthetics but I think I prefer the gameplay over it.

Archived