Rocket launch bay

4 hours ago, suxkar said:

Let me know if you need further explanation, or the savefile is you want

HI, thank you for your screenshot. I think it is very understandable. I enjoy to looking at the burning of Regolith by the rocket engine too.

I am planning to build a steam room below the engine. My idea is just simply put steam directly under the engine, at a high density of steam enough to absorb the heat and average it out. I saw you put steel tile and door below that. May i ask what is the design idea at that area?

It was purely a mistake :D. For some reason, don't ask me why, I thought that the 3x9 area that rockets super heat while landing/taking off gets heated only if made of solid tiles, and not liquid or gas. With this assumpion, i made the doors setup with temperature automation so that if things got too hot, the doors would open and most of the heat from the rocket fire would not be capture. Turns out, any medium is heated, so even if there was too much heat and doors opened, heat would still be radiated into the steam that would go inside the opened doors. It was an expensive mistake, lots or stell in there :D. Furthermore, I can't remove them since it's space and i would lose A LOT of steam, at the risk of damaging the aquatuners.

About this, an IMPORTANT suggestion: plan ahead about the shape of the steam room if you are to build one. The shape of this one makes it hard to initiate it since water ends up in places where it is not heated and just doesn't turn into steam. I had to drop magma on the water to start the room haha.

3 minutes ago, suxkar said:

It doesn't form tiles on its own, just debris, so rockets don't interact with it.

Wouldn't the debris heat up by interacting with the hot tiles they're sitting on? What if the tiles are so hot the debris melt and evaporate into  space exposure?

45 minutes ago, Ixenzo said:

Wouldn't the debris heat up by interacting with the hot tiles they're sitting on? What if the tiles are so hot the debris melt and evaporate into  space exposure?

They should never get anywhere near hot enough because they are being cooled by the steam underneath.

15 hours ago, suxkar said:

About this, an IMPORTANT suggestion: plan ahead about the shape of the steam room if you are to build one. The shape of this one makes it hard to initiate it since water ends up in places where it is not heated and just doesn't turn into steam. I had to drop magma on the water to start the room haha.

I see and thank you. 

I always leave a V shape air lock to the steam chamber for future maintenance. I think more importantly i need to plan and leave enough space for the longer rockets for over 100K km.

7 hours ago, Dosephshih said:

I see and thank you. 

I always leave a V shape air lock to the steam chamber for future maintenance. I think more importantly i need to plan and leave enough space for the longer rockets for over 100K km.

Yes those are pretty annoyiing, as you can see in my pic i just gave up their exhaust. It's super hot, so it would give a lot of energy, but they take so long to travel that on average it is very low. The vast majority of the energy comes from the 10k mark anyway.

20 hours ago, psusi said:

So apparently stupid dupes won't exit the rocket without a gantry, even though they did not need one to enter. :roll:

You wouldn't have been able to launch a rocket without an extended gantry, it's reasonable to expect that there would be one for exiting upon return. It's just not indicated... anywhere.

2 hours ago, Ixenzo said:

You wouldn't have been able to launch a rocket without an extended gantry, it's reasonable to expect that there would be one for exiting upon return. It's just not indicated... anywhere.

Boarded and launched without one... just can't unload without either building a gantry or deconstructing the command capsule apparently also works ;)

18 hours ago, psusi said:

Boarded and launched without one... just can't unload without either building a gantry or deconstructing the command capsule apparently also works ;)

Every time I've tried to launch a rocket without a gantry/gantry stowed it showed an issue and never took off. Dunno.

17 hours ago, psusi said:

Even though your pilot had a jet suit on?

No jets. The dupe gets into the capsule via gantry, I stow the gantry, cannot launch. Do you mean you're not building gantries in the first place and use jets instead?

3 hours ago, Ixenzo said:

No jets. The dupe gets into the capsule via gantry, I stow the gantry, cannot launch. Do you mean you're not building gantries in the first place and use jets instead?

Correct.  They fly to it via jet suit and board with no gantry.  For some reason, they won't disembark without the gantry though and they still take an atmo suit with them even though they are wearing the jet suit.  Deconstructing the command capsule gets them back out.

@suxkar Wouldn't it be better to fill the 3 x 9 heat area under the rocket with petroleum to capture the heat then have petroleum pipes to ship the heat to the steam that is only under the turbine and at low pressure, rather than have such a huge area of high pressure steam, which tends to delete heat?

1 hour ago, psusi said:

@suxkar Wouldn't it be better to fill the 3 x 9 heat area under the rocket with petroleum to capture the heat then have petroleum pipes to ship the heat to the steam that is only under the turbine and at low pressure, rather than have such a huge area of high pressure steam, which tends to delete heat?

That is actually a nice idea and you are welcome to try. I can see two potential problems with that: heat transfer will be slow, even if you pipe supercoolant, and the heat shock may flash the petroleum into sour gas since it has fairly low SHC, although this can be mitigated with high SHC tempshift plates and tiles. Still, considering the fact that the heat injection happens in 2 close intervals, it feels risky.

In any case, I'll be more then happy to check out what you will build after our conversation, be it in either debug or survival.
I've almost finished building my huge steam room. I've just spent 200+ tons of iron, 200+ of copper, 1000+ of granite, but I'm having fun!

1 minute ago, suxkar said:

That is actually a nice idea and you are welcome to try. I can see two potential problems with that: heat transfer will be slow, even if you pipe supercoolant, and the heat shock may flash the petroleum into sour gas since it has fairly low SHC, although this can be mitigated with high SHC tempshift plates and tiles. Still, considering the fact that the heat injection happens in 2 close intervals, it feels risky.

How much heat is actually added?  Petrol has half the SHC but at 760 kg per tile, that's a LOT of mass to soak up the heat.  You'd need nearly 400 kg per tile of steam to do the same.

Aww nuts!  You can't place airflow tiles on top of drywall!

Interesting... just tested it in sandbox mode by filling the heat zone with 800 kg of 125 C petrol and launched a petrol rocket to 20,000 km object and peak petroleum temp hit 150 C at the top.  Interestingly the petrol at the bottom is only 132, so it seems to add more heat near the top.  Or maybe the bottom I built out of regular tile so maybe it quickly absorbed some.

11 hours ago, psusi said:

How much heat is actually added?  Petrol has half the SHC but at 760 kg per tile, that's a LOT of mass to soak up the heat.  You'd need nearly 400 kg per tile of steam to do the same.

That is much less heating then I expected. I guess I should have been less paranoid.

What did you want to use airflow tiles for?

I believe the top is hotter because the heat cone moves with the rocket, so the top tiles are exposed for longer. Since you are at it, would you test with steam and hydrogen rockets too? May be also with a 100k petrol, just to see if distance makes any difference, although I don't think it does.

6 hours ago, suxkar said:

What did you want to use airflow tiles for?

I initially thought of using them to hold liquid water under the rocket so the rocket heat would boil it and then the steam could get out into the larger steam room, rather than pre-filling the room with steam heated by other means.  After I discovered that you can't use them on top of drywall, I realized that I didn't need them with the petrol.

6 hours ago, suxkar said:

I believe the top is hotter because the heat cone moves with the rocket, so the top tiles are exposed for longer. Since you are at it, would you test with steam and hydrogen rockets too? May be also with a 100k petrol, just to see if distance makes any difference, although I don't think it does.

It appears that hydrogen rockets put out a lot more heat, but I just watched this video that uses a launch bay that goes all the way from the bottom of the map and the whole thing is kept full of steam that the rocket both produces and heats on its way and it generates a tremendous amount of heat.

21 hours ago, psusi said:

I initially thought of using them to hold liquid water under the rocket so the rocket heat would boil it and then the steam could get out into the larger steam room, rather than pre-filling the room with steam heated by other means.  After I discovered that you can't use them on top of drywall, I realized that I didn't need them with the petrol.

It appears that hydrogen rockets put out a lot more heat, but I just watched this video that uses a launch bay that goes all the way from the bottom of the map and the whole thing is kept full of steam that the rocket both produces and heats on its way and it generates a tremendous amount of heat.

Ahh..Francis John, I see you are a man of culture as well. He is basically my ONI religion.

On 12/26/2019 at 10:59 AM, psusi said:

Correct.  They fly to it via jet suit and board with no gantry.  For some reason, they won't disembark without the gantry though and they still take an atmo suit with them even though they are wearing the jet suit.  Deconstructing the command capsule gets them back out.

That's kind of weird how they have jet suits and need gantry to exit.    Do you know if they will exit   with broken disabled auto repair gantry.      It's a lame work around.     But having to have a gantry in an open bay setup is lame. Or having to constantly rebuild it. 

1 hour ago, RonEmpire said:

That's kind of weird how they have jet suits and need gantry to exit.    Do you know if they will exit   with broken disabled auto repair gantry.      It's a lame work around.     But having to have a gantry in an open bay setup is lame. Or having to constantly rebuild it. 

How often do you need them to exit?  Just refuel and relaunch ;)

On 12/16/2019 at 3:32 PM, Craigjw said:

Just situate your rockets just above your dupe living quarters, so that the inside of the living quarters is within 9 tiles from the base of the rocket. hehehe.

I reckomend a vertical scanner coloumn, gives you so much more space to play around with when situating the rocket bays.

I have 2 rockets set to automatically refuel and launch for close systems, to bring in a regular supply of super coolant stuff.  A 3rd goes a bit higher, to recover thermium and a 4th one, I use for scientific missions.

The move to petrol as soon as I can, as steam rockets are quite naff.  The two small range rockets run off petrol, while the 2 longer range rockets run of LH & LOX.

I store my LOX & LH in infinite storage boxes.

I have no idea what databanks are for, they don't seem to be useful anymore, please someone correct me if I'm wrong.  My final research into hydrogen, I didn't use any databanks.

There's no need to send more than 5 research modules, as 5 is all you need to conduct all the research on a particular planet.  Once 5 researches are done, you don't get any more databanks from that planet.  I'm not saying dont' send further research, as I think you get other stuff from it, like recharge chips for the brain enlarger.

Unfortunately  there is some bug where   you don't get exactly 50 data bank.      I noticed when I sent my rocket up   i was short   1 or 2 points out of the 50.          Not sure if it was melted or something  that got lost to the vaccum.      It's similar to the glass forge sometimes giving 1kg short of a full 25kg

Archived