Right way to get steam to support versioned updates

Hi,

I've seen a lot of steam authors upload their mods, but then fail at getting steam users to get updated versions of the mods.

I've seen reference to there being a correct way to do it so this works, but have never seen the upload method that properly supports versioning documented. Any advice?

Thank, you

A few month ago I have made some tests regarding downloading my own mods from Steam. It gave me a version which was wrong by 2 uploads, even though the latest update was already out 1-2 weeks. I repeated the process by deleting the subscription and files and re-subscribing. I got the same old version multiple times. However other users were able to get the correct version without trouble.

That observation and the fact that websites must have mirror servers to handle large quantities of users, makes me believe that some regional mirror servers just don't get the update properly.

I would be surprised, if there were a upload method (from the modder side) that would fix this issue. That is, if the issue still exists. I hoped it would be resolved by now.

Personally I got the greatest chance on succesfully downloading the latest version, is while unsubscribing from the mod in steam while ONI is running. After ONI detects the change, restart ONI. Resubscribe to the wanted mod with ONI running, and I always had the latest version. Restart ONI again for good measure.
Still your mileage might vary.

The problem is within Steams CDN. Some servers get the new version instantly, others... well eventually. 

It speeds up the process, if the modder uses versioning. Without, the automated process wont update all servers with the new process nearly as fast as with versioning. And yes, this is a bug, because the upload date is cleary newer, but this is a neglected fact inside the system.

So: There is no final solution, besides Steam fixes this. 

> It speeds up the process, if the modder uses versioning. 

Tell me about that. Where does this "version" go? There are version numbers built into the AssemblyInfo.cs file that I auto increment with build numbers. Is it that, or something else?

If you see a version it's because someone bothered to fill patch notes. Doesn't do crap when it comes to steam not  being stupid with versioning. There isn't an universal fix to it. Sometimes resubscribing works, sometimes deleting files locally works. It's a problem across the entire steam.

Archived