How can you construct something you don't have enough material for.

Alright, so here is the deal, I am a planner, and usually I get ahead of myself like when planning my space portion, and putting up steel bunker blocks.  The problem comes when I have overreached and laid way more bunker blocks than I have steel for.  Now I want to say make my oil production more efficient.  But it is hot in there, so I need to build everything with steel, and that should not be a big problem because well I always making steel, and I will be deconstructing steel as well, but oh wait those bunkers leave me at 0, so anything I try to build switch to lead or gold which just won't do ...

So the question is what am I missing?  Why can I not plan steel items when it is at 0?  Is there a blueprint button that will force attempting to build what I don't have?

2 hours ago, CoyoteWAN said:

Alright, so here is the deal, I am a planner, and usually I get ahead of myself like when planning my space portion, and putting up steel bunker blocks.  The problem comes when I have overreached and laid way more bunker blocks than I have steel for.  Now I want to say make my oil production more efficient.  But it is hot in there, so I need to build everything with steel, and that should not be a big problem because well I always making steel, and I will be deconstructing steel as well, but oh wait those bunkers leave me at 0, so anything I try to build switch to lead or gold which just won't do ...

So the question is what am I missing?  Why can I not plan steel items when it is at 0?  Is there a blueprint button that will force attempting to build what I don't have?

You're not missing anything. There are 2 ways to do what you are asking about. 

1) Turn on Sandbox mode but leave Instant Build off. Note: This will disable achievements. 

2) Install a mod who's name escapes me. (Thanks for linking the mod @nakomaru

You can select any prebuil t/already planned item of the same type and use B to copy it to built with the material if you don't have enough.

I do agree that the auto switching to lead causes no end of problems

Archived