Machineries and heat

Hello everyone. I'm starting an industrial district and wondering what will work better.

1) Using aquatuners to cool down the area and the steam turbine to cool down the aquatuner.

2) Make a massive heat battery with the district. ST at top and steam everywhere. 

Is the rateo beetween estracting the heat via ST or AT and ST the same? The power is not a problem even if putting it in the equation could change something?

The main problem is the heat that doesn't go up but remains near the machine. Maybe some tempshift plate to move the heat up? An heavier gas with a layer of steam at top? The water will be dropped at bottom turn into steam and while rising to the top heating more. But there are no viable heavy gases with a termoconductivity worth It.

Just use a tuner and turbine and pipe coolant through a radiator. I have tried sinking everything in steam and it is not worth it. Depends on what you have, but a lot of heat is just used to heat up your materials.

A tuner is not much cost for most of your equipment, and is net 0 when you discover supercoolant. Play fancy only when all inputs stay above 150C like rockets, metal refineries, magma, regolith, and volcanoes.

I try to keep my machinery well spaced so that late game, I can run a gold pipe around the machinery areas and cool it all down.  Just one or two cheap tempshift plates in the hot areas will do fine, nothing fancy.  When I've got enough super coolant, I fill this long pipe up with about 7t and cool all my machinery with a single AT.

On 11/28/2019 at 8:52 AM, BaccoShow said:

The main problem is the heat that doesn't go up but remains near the machine.

Just near or in the machine itself? If you're using a steam atmosphere, heat should travel up quickly enough that a steam turbine on top of the room should start running long before the machinery below overheats. Unless your room is huge or has gas-unfriendly design. Screenshot could help.

From what I've seen, it's usually the machine->gas transfer that is the bottleneck. Add a puddle of petroleum and a thermoplate that covers it and nothing should overheat.

That is assuming your machinery is all steam and dupes are in suits. If not, steam turbine is out of question, except for metal refinery, where it still works nicely.

it's a lot of work for very little gain when putting all machinery in a steam pit.  It's easier to pipe a cooling loop through it all, as the a single AT is enough to cool mostly everything, but with a much less risk.  cooling the surrounding gas with strategic placement of tempshift plates is sufficient to deal with the heat around any machinery, even refineries running 500c coolant.

Just pass a single gold pipe running at ~0-10c above the machinery with a single tempshift plate on the pipe, while another single tempshift plate at the base of the machinery will do in most cases.  If the machinery isn't high powered, you don't need to bother with any tempshift plates.

It just seems like a lot of fuss to enclose everything in a steam chamber for the sake of perhaps 1kw of power at best.  I would however consider placing generators in a steam room, as these are active a often and can double up as slickster farms.

By far the worse offenders of causing high ambient temperatures are the sheer number of low powered transformers & batteries and it would be really impractical to place these in a steam chamber.

By far the worse offenders of causing high ambient temperatures are the sheer number of low powered transformers & batteries and it would be really impractical to place these in a steam chamber.

It may not be very practical, but it will solve the heat problem very well. Build all the power bits out of steel, stuff them in a steam chamber, and they'll never overheat again. It takes a mountain of steel to set up, however.

Metal refineries generate far too much heat to cool down using aquatuners. The tooltip lies, the refinery's own heat production doesn't matter. The vast majority of the heat is unlisted and gets added directly to the coolant. If you pump oil/petroleum through them, they can be used to generate a lot of steam energy.

Most normal machines generate a very small amount of heat that only becomes a danger over dozens or hundreds of cycles. For all those problems, an ordinary aquatuner/steam turbine setup works great.

Archived