Shamlet Mask

I know this has been suggested so many times, so let's cut right to it: Shamlet Mask should be added to the game for our monster/merm friends.

"But Starboy," you may be asking, "there shouldn't be items that completely remove a character's downside!"

To that, I answer that those items already exist in the game. Specifically:

Wolfgang has the Belt of Hunger, which completely removes his """"""downside"""""".

Wickerbottom has the Tam o' Shanter.

WX has the Eyebrella.

Please consider it Klei.

Spoiler

also Steamed Ham Sandwich would be a fantastic addition as well

You see the difference haer is that it makes webber into a more flat charcter because he does have the way to nulify his downside, unlike the others who still have to compromise with their downside instead of outright negating it. Webber would also become much more flat as a character as he wouldn't have this risk reward of having a massive crap ton of materials from spiders but also having a compaion that is bad at fighting in small numbers or any enemy with aoe. It would make him just a guy who is normal but also have all of these unique benifits for the cost of wearing a mask. Unlike the other character who still have their downside and wear clothing to not be as effected by it, the shamlet mask just removes the drawback.

1 hour ago, Frashaw27 said:

Unlike the other character who still have their downside and wear clothing to not be as effected by it, the shamlet mask just removes the drawback.

Bro, WX just no longer takes damage from rain if he wears the Eyebrella, therefore nullifying his one downside entirely.

1 hour ago, Starlogy said:

Bro, WX just no longer takes damage from rain if he wears the Eyebrella, therefore nullifying his one downside entirely.

He also no longer gets hit by lightning which is something you want.

This is... okay i guess. Maybe make it so that it will rot? An undepletable shamlet mask is strong.

As for nullifying the downsides,

Wolfgang still gets hungry. The belt just slows down his hunger. You still need food. Plus it takes up a chest slot.

Wickerbottom's Tam o' Shanter takes 5 minutes to recover one usage of her book. 5. That's half the day gone and dusk comes in. And that's for her books that take less sanity. So if you were to spam books suddenly, don't expect your sanity to fly up. It will be slow.

WX78 we talked about this. Eyebrella is as much a counter to him as a buff.

5 minutes ago, Booklover said:

Maybe make it so that it will rot? An undepletable shamlet mask is strong.

Honestly, I guess I never got around to saying that I'd want it to have durability/expiry date, but yeah that'd be the best thing to do to maintain balance towards it.

As well, the mask could simply remove the monster/spider/merm tag from the characters affected by it, therefore no longer allowing those characters to use their respective mobs to their advantage as long as they're wearing it.

You can't wear any other hat with the mask on. No miner hat/moggles, no tam o'shanter, no football hat (or battle helm in DST), no eyebrella, no Hamlet hats if you're playing in an actual Hamlet world instead of RoG with Hamlet compatibility enabled, etc. It also doesn't have water resistance, so it'll drain sanity when wet, and if you lose it you need beard hair to replace it, which is only easy to gather if you're playing alongside a Wilson. None of these are huge drawbacks (especially since pigs are strictly diurnal) but there are in fact some downsides to cancelling out Webber's disadvantage with a hat that has to be actively worn, just like reducing Wolfgang's appetite to normal player-character levels with the Belt of Hunger in his chest slot and thereby preventing him from wearing armor/backpacks/any weatherproof clothing that isn't a hat.

I don't even want the Shamlet Mask to be added to DST, I think Wortox is already a very strong character who doesn't need his disadvantages lessened like that. Webber is more of a mid-tier character as things currently stand and a buff for him would be alright, but even if he was the only one who could craft it I doubt he'd be the only one using it. (I don't play Wurt enough to be certain of her balance, but she doesn't seem like she needs a buff?) I just don't think it's fair to describe it as completely removing Webber's downside with no downsides of its own.

Wagstaff also has to wear special hats all the time to cancel out a major disadvantage, but at least he can make advanced goggles that also function equivalently to moggles and football hats. And if he was in DST they would be of limited use to other characters since they inflict the blurry-vision effect on everyone else while equipped.

I don't feel like the Tam o' Shanter actually does negate Wickerbottom's inability to regain sanity from sleep and major sanity loss from reading her books, it's just... one of many ways to regenerate sanity. As mentioned, it doesn't work very quickly if it's the only method you're using, certainly not fast enough to immediately give you back the sanity you lost to a book. It'd be more accurate to say that ice cream removes her downside.

On top of this, most of these pre-Shipwrecked disadvantage-reducing items are hard to obtain; the Eyebrella needs a winter-exclusive boss drop, the Tam o' Shanter has only a 25% chance of dropping from a winter-exclusive miniboss mob, and the Belt of Hunger requires you to spend a while digging around in the ruins. I wasn't being entirely sincere about ice cream cancelling out Wickerbottom's weakness but it's hard to obtain too since you have to either squish a ton of butterflies or kill a charged Volt Goat (and either charge it up first with an electric weapon which is itself not trivial to craft, or wait patiently by a goat herd during a rainstorm).

I do feel that losing the hat slot and potentially some follower functionality while wearing the item is a good enough tradeoff for it to exist. At the very least, it would mean less people getting constantly run out of base when the public server group decides to set up next to PK. Which happens a lot.

I think the shamlet mask should let you be neutral to all pigs and bunnymen, but wearing it will make these creatures suspicious enough so they still won't befriend you by feeding them.

This way the point of it would be so in public bases where people put pigs within the base, or just outright base at pig king and don't relocate the pigs, all Webber (and maybe Wortox/Wurt, see below) will still be able to live with the other players, or at least visit without being punched in the face.

Also I'd make it a Webber exclusive crafting recipe, so if you are Wortox and you want one, you have to play with a friendly Webber (or switch to Webber temporally). Wortox is currently a powerhouse to also get that item by default, and Wurt already gets her "pigs on steroids" in the form of merms, and can be friendly with bunnymen. They don't need it as much as Webber does.

It could also be somewhat useful to pass through bunnymen villages safely (if you also don't carry meat), or to werepig the pigs without having to spend 3 minutes dancing with them.

Maybe with the onemanband you could befriend them, but that's 2 slots lost, and 2 items you had to craft to temporally bypass the con entirely.

If the mask has all the limitations presented above, it should have durability when wearing it, but it could be repairable and have it degrade slow enough to not be such a big deal (like a Tam's durability). It could even have a tophat sanity regen, so any other non monster player could consider using it as well.

Archived