Locavore and non food farming.

Hello friends. I would like to discuss the Locavore achievement.
I understand the point of the locavore achievement and like having challenges in games but I dont like that it includes all farming rather than only plants that produce edible products. Locavore specifically refers to eating (things sourced locally), you can be a vegetarian/ herbivore and raise sheep for wool or be a carnivore and grow cotton to make clothes. I just had to redo half a dozen big cycles due to planting a wheezewort in my generator room. I havent seen a slime biome yet ( <50 cycles so havent explored a huge area and first time on Arboria, not sure it even has them) so I cant get any reed naturally yet, though ofc the printing pod offered me some right as im getting to the tech level to be able to make them, just to rub it in. So I just have to put off suits until after locavore is finished I guess.
Do you think this should be part of the challenge or agree with me that Locavore should not include non food plants?

You can use wild planting, have pips plant whatever you need in the wild and make use of that. Only putting plants in planterboxes, farm tiles or hydroponic tiles counts towards breaking locavore.

EDIT: Also, I'd like to mention that eggs and BBQ can sustain your colony too, so you can just ranch hatches for instance to get your food needs met. That is how I attained the achievement ( along with carnivore at the same time ).

Also there's other cooling options than wheezeworts. aquatuner/turbine combo for instance, or even ice makers with a shipping loop to melt the ice.

10 hours ago, ScreamingValkyr said:

And then theres the mushbars......Ew, but it works. I reached the achivment (barely) with 15 dupes and a micromusher as well as harvesting wild plants.

If using mushbars, you may as well go for mush fry. It's (marginally) more kCal and cooking removes the food poisoning that mushbars inherently spawn with. (I think)

15 hours ago, Red Shark said:

If using mushbars, you may as well go for mush fry. It's (marginally) more kCal and cooking removes the food poisoning that mushbars inherently spawn with. (I think)

Mushbars only get food poisoning if the water used to make them was germy. This happens a lot in early bases anyways, because of sieved bathroom water or dupes fouling up the water reservoirs.

Making mush fry gives a 50% increase in kCal over plain mushbars, which is absolutely worthwhile, because all it costs is a bit of dirt, dupe time, and power.

6 hours ago, suicide commando said:

They also have inherent food poisoning I believe. Same goes for meal lice and lice loaves. That's why I feed my dupes pickled lice instead of raw/loaves.

No, there are no such thing as inherent food poisoning.

But. Microbe Musher don't remove food poisoning from food. So, if, for example, You use contaminated water, You will have contaminated food. Also, if You use contaminated Dirt to fertilize Mealwood, You will have contaminated Mealwood, growing contaminated Meal Lices. You always can see, where are Food Poisoning now, by using Germ Overlay (F9)

On 11/25/2019 at 3:05 PM, suicide commando said:

eggs and BBQ can sustain your colony too, so you can just ranch hatches for instance to get your food needs met. That is how I attained the achievement ( along with carnivore at the same time ).

Also there's other cooling options than wheezeworts. aquatuner/turbine combo for instance, or even ice makers with a shipping loop to melt the ice.

Yeah I was going for this also.
I actually hadnt considered conveyors of ice for cooling, though I have used them for regolith powered steam. That is a good idea.
While I do understand the restriction, I still find the use of the word locavore to describe it inaccurate and irks my inner pedant. Perhaps "Hunters and Gatherers", "Nomads", or "Brownthumbs" could be used for greater linguistic accuracy. The complete farming ban was necessary to separate locavore from carnivore, otherwise I guess they would be almost exactly the same achievement.

15 hours ago, Red Shark said:

Mushbars are created with 1000 food poisoning germs.

Thank you for your research!

Can you send a bug report about it?

Bug is not food poisoning, this is, I think, is intended and just replace older Diarrhea; but having no information about such behavior in game is a bug, I think

Archived