Steam Turbine spin up gone?

IIRC, steam turbines used to have a "spin up" period where they ate the full amount of steam but didn't yet produce full power, so to not waste power you wanted to use automation to not let it turn on until your steam chamber was nice and hot and could keep it running for a while before it cooled down and the turbine stopped due to low temperature.  Is this no longer a thing, so you may as well just let it run as soon as it wants to?

10 hours ago, Yalp said:

It still wastes power when you interrupt liquid flow to it (e.g. shutoffs). 

Whoa, that sucks, when did they screw that up?  Last year I used a valve to limit the flow rate of coolant going to the heat exchanger, and a packet combiner to only feed the AT a full packet every few seconds and the AT did not waste power while waiting for a new packet to form.

5 hours ago, psusi said:

Whoa, that sucks, when did they screw that up?  Last year I used a valve to limit the flow rate of coolant going to the heat exchanger, and a packet combiner to only feed the AT a full packet every few seconds and the AT did not waste power while waiting for a new packet to form.

When the first package of liquid comes to the AT, the AT runs for 1 second before processing it (kinda like the spin up I guess). This not only wastes power but also delays that first package of liquid. 
Controlling the AT with automation doesn't cause the "spin up".

Archived