Magma Steam Power Generation - NOT RECOMMENDED

And success =D

Both turbines running at 100%, totaling 1700w

But the aquatunner is also running 100% of the time. not sure if it's because it's cooling 2 turbines or what, the turbines are around 95.6oC and very slowly going down, so I guess it will take some good time for it to settle so that the AQT will run intermittently.

1.png

What's that tile in the abysalite on the right, do I see raw magma in contact with the steam?  What could possibly go wrong!

I wonder what happens to that tile of igneous at the top left of your steam chamber when for some reason it decides to break apart because of the pressure from the oil, because you know, natural tiles just aren't as strong as made tiles.  I'm not saying this will happen, but it could, quite easily.

4 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

What's that tile in the abysalite on the right, do I see raw magma in contact with the steam?  What could possibly go wrong!

Hahaha funny guy you Craig! That is adding some powerfull heat to it, yes =D But I think everything is fine =D

You've got magma exposed directly to your steam room, which means you can't efficiently regulate heat coming in to your steam room. The metal tiles / door / diamond windows segment is meant to allow you to throttle heat entering the chamber, but the exposed magma means you can't actually throttle the heat intake all the way. That means everything could start boilin' and you wouldn't be able to stop or fix it.

Overall, nice build! A couple of holes in the design atm, but its progress!

14 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

That tile of magma will break everything.

actually it was me who removed the tile which was in there, because it was blocking one of the turbines intakes. It's not creating any problems. The turbines are already at around 75oC, so I guess very soon the TAQ will start idling for much longer times.

Let me ask you this. How many turbines do you think a single AT can chill?

What the temperature of the steam though?  You have no way to control this with that magma exposed.  If the steam being processed by the turbine is above 200c, the excess heat gets emitted by the turbine, creating more work for the AQ's with no benefit.  The maximum temperature for the steam should not exceed much above 200c.

What's the heat output from the turbine on the right?  I'm guessing it's going to be above 100KDTU's?  Ideally each turbine should be outputting about 70-80 KDTU's.

3 hours ago, Craigjw said:

What the temperature of the steam though?  You have no way to control this with that magma exposed.  If the steam being processed by the turbine is above 200c, the excess heat gets emitted by the turbine, creating more work for the AQ's with no benefit.  The maximum temperature for the steam should not exceed much above 200c.

What's the heat output from the turbine on the right?  I'm guessing it's going to be above 100KDTU's?  Ideally each turbine should be outputting about 70-80 KDTU's.

Yes you are right, it's outputing 127KDTU's. 

Move your turbines 2 tiles to the left, while you are there, you could build over those badly insulating igneous tiles, which are heating your oil reservoir up to 200 degrees and seal off the magma pocket. 

You could always wait till it explodes and you have 1000 degrees steam and a bunch of dupe casualties with heat stroke waiting for the next available med bed.

I use this to measure the temperature of metal tiles.  Load the steel gas pipe with hydrogen regulated at 0.1g/s, this has 200mg packets in. Pipe not in contact with the tile are made from ceramic.

This measures the temperature of the tile itself and not the steam chamber.  It opens a door to the right, which has a diamond window in contact with magma.

Be sure to place the thermo sensor on the output of the bridge.

obviously this particular magma power generator isn't functioning right now.

Untitled.png.a392cf1de873a50c2b9650d1b64a19b8.pngUntitled.png.873d7eddbd5822a7481a47b8daa3d34c.png

10 hours ago, Craigjw said:

Move your turbines 2 tiles to the left, while you are there, you could build over those badly insulating igneous tiles, which are heating your oil reservoir up to 200 degrees and seal off the magma pocket. 

You could always wait till it explodes and you have 1000 degrees steam and a bunch of dupe casualties with heat stroke waiting for the next available med bed.

So i've ALMOST fixed it. Now the right one is at 100KDT's. There are some tiles in it's right base at 1300oC. That can't be fixed easily, so I'm good at how it is

Let me ask you this, how many kg of steam is enough for the turbines?

1.png

Good job with that.  

You do know that you can build diagonally through tiles, meaning that you could build obsidian insulation tiles in the lava, then remove excess tiles to gradually clear the area almost completely of lava.

Personally, I would have built an airlock and vacuum, then open up the lava and dig out the surrounding rocks in the lava to give a bigger pool of lava for tapping, while making the steam chamber more uniform in size.  Dupes tend to get heat stroke in lava rather quickly, they can generally build about 1-2 tiles before needing to cool off, so this is dangerous.

You should really consider building insulated tiles above the AT in that corner, that's just sapping heat into your oil reservoir.

1 hour ago, Craigjw said:

Good job with that.  

You do know that you can build diagonally through tiles, meaning that you could build obsidian insulation tiles in the lava, then remove excess tiles to gradually clear the area almost completely of lava.

Personally, I would have built an airlock and vacuum, then open up the lava and dig out the surrounding rocks in the lava to give a bigger pool of lava for tapping, while making the steam chamber more uniform in size.  Dupes tend to get heat stroke in lava rather quickly, they can generally build about 1-2 tiles before needing to cool off, so this is dangerous.

You should really consider building insulated tiles above the AT in that corner, that's just sapping heat into your oil reservoir.

So I am doing phase 2 of the magma power project but I am facing much harder obstacles this time. The ceramic tiles which stays cool in the first phase are now heating non-stop. I don't see a reason for this difference since both are in direct touch with magma (phase 1 to the left, phase 2 to the right). The AQ of steel is overheating. I have CO2 at 900+ oC, could that be the cause? I'm not sure cause as I've said the insulated ceramic tiles are getting 200+. Also the diamond blocks don't cool off, even with the door opened. Also, if I throw water there would the steam chill the place removing the co2 of the chamber is too big for that? I cannot close the steam chamber because the AQ is getting damage because of the heat, so If I throw water the steam will flow all over the place...

1.thumb.png.0ccbe670ae8c47d36f61a560374f1a54.png

When I'm working with magma, I always make a surrounding room first, which is clear of all liquids, I then make it a vacuum.  Once I open up the magma area, I'm not going to heat any gases up and cause myself issue.  I can then build what ever I like with a bit of safety.

The diamond blocks are containing a lot of heat and being absorbed by the co2.

Try doubling your insulation and stop expecting natural tiles to insulate, think of natural tiles as metal blocks, conducting that heat all around.  Abysalite is the only natural tile that will insulate.

If you flood the area with water, you'll only create more problems at the moment, it'll boil away in contact with them obsidian tiles.

12 hours ago, Craigjw said:

When I'm working with magma, I always make a surrounding room first, which is clear of all liquids, I then make it a vacuum.  Once I open up the magma area, I'm not going to heat any gases up and cause myself issue.  I can then build what ever I like with a bit of safety.

Try doubling your insulation and stop expecting natural tiles to insulate, think of natural tiles as metal blocks, conducting that heat all around.  Abysalite is the only natural tile that will insulate.

If you flood the area with water, you'll only create more problems at the moment, it'll boil away in contact with them obsidian tiles.

I had already been flooding the room with steam. Problem is the room is enormous, so it will take quite some time. When steam occupy an space i have 300oC steam and it removes the 600+ co2. I can't think of another way of cooling it other than replacing the co2 with steam. I cannot pump it to vacuum cause the gases are at 900+

UPDATE: dual insulation and still very high temps... I can only bet it's the CO2 that is heating the blocks, since the blocks in touch with magma are cooler than the ones over it.

1.png

19 hours ago, Craigjw said:

So my strategy of removing the CO2 with steam did not work out. I think the CO2 has no where to go so it compress in the lower part, exactly where I wanted it to be removed. It's 1000+ oC, so a pump cannot remove it. Suggestions?

1.png

25 minutes ago, gaucho_tche said:

So my strategy of removing the CO2 with steam did not work out. I think the CO2 has no where to go so it compress in the lower part, exactly where I wanted it to be removed. It's 1000+ oC, so a pump cannot remove it. Suggestions?

Corner build yourself a vacuum barrier at the bottom so that you are not conducting any more heat and build a couple cooled steam turbine bes that send the water somewhere else to get rid of all the steam? 

Honestly though, that's the type of failure that I just chalk up to a leaning experience and start a new base. 

2 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

Corner build yourself a vacuum barrier at the bottom so that you are not conducting any more heat and build a couple cooled steam turbine bes that send the water somewhere else to get rid of all the steam? 

Honestly though, that's the type of failure that I just chalk up to a leaning experience and start a new base. 

Sorry but start a new base on why? My base is perfectly fine, i am just experimenting on new sources of power. And this thread is all about it, magma steam power.

48 minutes ago, gaucho_tche said:

Sorry but start a new base on why? My base is perfectly fine, i am just experimenting on new sources of power. And this thread is all about it, magma steam power.

Because I like starting new bases and cleaning up things like your steam room takes more time than I like to spend on failed experiments. :D

Archived