I am not sure where the slimelung came from

I had a chlorine clean room that sits between my base and the slime biome. I cleared everything out and pumped all polluted oxygen into a gas tank and have it sit in the clean room for a few cycles. Before I pump everything out into my polluted oxygen chamber where my pufts are, I checked there were no more germs.

However after I release everything into the chamber and for more than 20 cycles I did not notice there were residual germs. After a while to my horror the room is infested with millions of slimelung.

I loaded a much earlier save to check how this happened. After I released the assumed germ free po2 into the chamber, there were some (like less than a hundred) slimelung lingering in one of the po2 block. I have no idea how this came to be.

Now I know slimelung is no big deal especially since I contained all these in a chamber I can always pump them to the clean room again. However I wanna investigate how this happened so I can take measures in future.

This was my process

1. pump germ infested po2 from slime biome into chlorine rooom gas tank.
2. turn off pump, let everything sit in the tank
3. check to make sure no gas are in the input pipe
4. After a few cycle mouse over the tank to check for germs
5. release the germ free po2

Were there residual po2 in the pipes or bridges that were not in the tank during the disinfect process?

There's really no guarantees when letting dupes handle slimelung. If they pick up some slime and run across the map, they may arbitrarily drop it anywhere, any time. All it takes is one puff of slimelung gas to create a nearly permanent haven.

There are a lot of small tips that can help improve your odds of things going right, but the best option is to never let dupes touch slime in the first place. Take advantage of autosweepers to grab slime, haul it into chlorine storage, and eventually to automatically feed your mushroom farms.

7 hours ago, hedition said:

This was my process

3. check to make sure no gas are in the input pipe

Did you also check the output pipe? Some PO2 could have slipped through the tank still infected with slimelung and been sitting in the pipe segment at the output.

A single tank set up by itself isn't really a completely reliable solution to eliminate germs. You can use multiple tanks chained together to get better results, or use some automation and an inline germ sensor to loop still infected material back into the tank.

3 hours ago, peachkillu said:

I feel like slimelung  can randomly spawn I am playing on a map that has no slime and very little algae if any and at cycle 2000 I’m getting slime lung in random clouds of polluted oxygen throughout the map 

Morbs spawn slimelung and some polluted oxygen. Morbs usually spawn in caustic biomes so they are present on every map, can also spawn from an uncleaned outhouse after 2 cycles. This might be how it appeared on maps with no slime.

23 hours ago, Mojo Filter said:

Did you also check the output pipe? Some PO2 could have slipped through the tank still infected with slimelung and been sitting in the pipe segment at the output.

A single tank set up by itself isn't really a completely reliable solution to eliminate germs. You can use multiple tanks chained together to get better results, or use some automation and an inline germ sensor to loop still infected material back into the tank.

I suspect this is the case. I notice sometimes after i disconnect a pipe network and deconstruct a gas filter, some residual gas gets released. Even after the whole pipe network is allowed to run dry and then powered down.

4 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Morbs spawn slimelung and some polluted oxygen. Morbs usually spawn in caustic biomes so they are present on every map, can also spawn from an uncleaned outhouse after 2 cycles. This might be how it appeared on maps with no slime.

What wow O_o I did not know Morbs spawn slimelung.

That may explain why. The chamber did have 2 morbs in there.

On 10/17/2019 at 10:08 PM, hedition said:

That may explain why. The chamber did have 2 morbs in there.

That definitely explains it. Morbs excrete slimelung po2 under 1800g pressure. 

But don't be too scared of slimelung, it's not what it used to be. Embrace it. :p On my new map it's cycle 60, I've mined out one and a half slime biomes, put down a ton of deodorizers, and only just built a spom. Haven't used any algae or rust either. My base is wide open with no waterlocks or doors... In some places the po2 was up to 5kg/tile due to slime and pwater, and I guess co2 interaction. Half my guys have been perma-slimelunged for 40 cycles and things are just fine. The other half doesn't have it only because you get immunity for a few cycles after recovery.

Archived