Whyatt's Mod (Help Needed)

Hi All,

So I released my don't starve OC 'Whyatt' as a mod earlier this year and I'm looking for someone to help me with fixing up the coding and his compatibility with the new updates.

5d98518cd2421_whyattpromoversion2.thumb.png.e932d1c5aace7ad681c63dfe07abbfab.png

I didn't code any of it, i had some help, but that person is no longer interested so I'm looking for another reliable programmer who I could possibly communicate with via Discord.

Here's my mod here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1655943117

Currently what I need fixed is (but not excluded to):

• Whyatt needs to be compatible with the new tides update, as currently the game freezes when he steps on a boat.
  • I need to make the Saxophone item better, in that it's not based around the panflute (i have a custom sound built for it). Currently, any panflute you interact with turns into the saxophone and vice versa, which is annoying :/
  • The name templates are all broken since the Wortox update for some reason. On the select screen it says Random and in-game using the inspect function it defaults to Wilson for some reason.

These are the biggest issues I've found but I'll probably find more as I play him again. I'd also like to add him to single-player and add in a new quirk too but for now I just want him fixed ;w;. I'd really love to find someone who's a competent coder. I am able to pay through Paypal or via art commissions so you won't be leaving empty-handed in any case.

I can fix it.
It would help if you would have older game files.. The person who did your code simply copied the SGwilson.lua from that time instead of adding/changing stategraphs properly within modmain. And since the SGwilson.lua was updated from the devs, your character is using too old code now.
And it would help alot if I could compare the original SGwilson.lua from that date with your SGwhyatt.lua to see what changes exactly were made by the person (to distinguish his changes from the changes made by devs). I guess he only changed the panflute code, but I can not tell for sure.

I already fixed the stategraph stuff (assuming the person did only change the panflue stuff) and fixed the oneman band sanity code. So boat and most other bugs related to old code/game update are now fixed and it wont break in 99% of new game updates anymore.

Unfortunately I never did a character mod myself. So while I can help you with general code, I cant help much for character specific stuff, like the portraits.
So I have 0 knowledge about anything related to adding animations and sounds :D
I still could try to add your custom saxophone sound, at least if you know how to add the sound in general to the game, I can assign it to the saxophone play.
@AretMaw

Edited by Serpens

Hi there @Serpens, so sorry for the late reply, I don't get a chance to get on the forums very often ^^;

I can send you a GDrive link with all the files in it if that will help.

Even if you can't help with the character quirks, it'd be really great if I just got him fixed and working with the new updates!

And thankyou so much for going ahead with that! I do believe I do have some older files for his coding I'll just have to find it for you!

If you want to contact me on discord also (which will make it easier) please do tell me ^^

1 hour ago, AretMaw said:

Hi there @Serpens, so sorry for the late reply, I don't get a chance to get on the forums very often ^^;

I can send you a GDrive link with all the files in it if that will help.

Even if you can't help with the character quirks, it'd be really great if I just got him fixed and working with the new updates!

And thankyou so much for going ahead with that! I do believe I do have some older files for his coding I'll just have to find it for you!

If you want to contact me on discord also (which will make it easier) please do tell me ^^

At best, test the fixed file I linked above, and report back ;) The update incompatibility should be fixed, same for the flute.

Thankyou so much for this, again i'm so so sorry for the late reply, I will test this out as soon as i possibly can! You've been a huge help, even if the character specific stuff is still not done, but I'm so grateful that you helped me with fixing him for the updates ^^

I'll update you on how it all goes, I'll be back with a report soon! ^^

@Serpens By the way, I'm pretty new with how all this stuff works, if i just upload these files you've given me into the don't starve mods tools for my mod on steam, i assume that'll all be good and it'll work?

Hi There, seems it has been a good while since the person helping you has last spoken, While I'm not god, or good, or even remotely Acquainted with making things work off the bat, I do eventually figure things out through trial and error, I will try to help you out, So what serpents means is if you take the fiels he sent you and just shove them into your mods directory, "Steamapps/common/don'tstarveotgether/mods" jsut shove the folder in there that contains the modmain and modinfo, launch the game, host a game, make sure to turn it on, (it'll say this is nod a workshop mod!) Just ignore it, see if the quirks are there or not, report back here, also if you need additional assistance and you're more available elsewhere at faster replies, You can DM me those, or simply add me on steam.

Ah ha yes, thats what I said, You want to make sure when you put in there, that it's a folder, inside the folder is should have a modmain, and a modinfo file, this means that is the root of the folder, Basically It should be like this. "/dontstarvetogether/mods/foldername/ And then in there it should have both of those files"

Now it says 'an error has occured while starting your game' it won't even load in now. I've made sure its /dontstarvetogether/mods/foldername/ and then the 3 files the other user gave me inside. But it doesnt look like its working.

What i'm most confused about is the fact that there's only three files, when my original mod folder has all the assets and everything.

Serpens Files:

image.png.f788bcf5f7858345d48f7ccd45b0b455.png

My Files (mod that is currently uploaded onto steam)
image.png.abc5d4ead8b660f4263874a0bf253f91.png

Do you mind addmign me on steam? It's easier to chat, here.

basically, the files he sent you are from the original file he downloaded from the workshop, and edited, he did not include everythign else because he assumed you'd know what to do with them, so go ahead and copy that folder you have open, paste it into your mods, take the modmain and paste it in there, then open scripts and prefabs, and paste the other two in there, try it then.

So sorry, im come down with the flu, so.. The filed as you can see, they have the same,name, yeah? You copy the folder into mods like I said.. You ran the one in downloads, you then open it, and REPLACE THE FILES WITH THE SAME NAME in the root, then you go into scripts, and prefab and REPLACE TGE FILES WITH THE SAME NAME there too, sorry I woukd be on steam, but again the flue. Very sorry for the wait.