Pre-Bug Report: Pacu Feeder

Lets get to the meat of it.

• Takes pressure damage even though its made out of raw metal
  • Stores double the amount of materials you set it for. One stack goes to the lower portion and the other goes into internal storage.
  • New: Has two 1kg stacks of algae yet does not refill lower stack (or its invisible). Not even a save/reload fixes this issue. I've already rebuilt it twice and it still gets stuck over time. In my game it only affects the very left one. Before I file this, I want to make sure this is not a mods doing. It shouldn't be, but you never know. Does automation wire or rails affect it?

Just to throw in something extra, how do you guys feel about the fish release. That thing is way too buggy to use imo.

image.thumb.png.465b30163a791e41cac2ca1e7cd00945.png

while writing, this happened :lol:

I know its already been posted in "oooooooo pretty", I just wanted to share it.

image.thumb.png.b9f6df02c3736a6a6c62b8286138dbac.png

Base.sav

Just now, Corpserule said:

I believe it's caused by the bottom of the machine getting exposed to air rather than being in water 100% of the time.

Welp, that sucks. I hope a couple more people can verify this. Why is it that water affects it anyways?

That kind of ruins my compressed pacu farm :frown-new:. I'll have to roll back to using the water-door-sweeper-1% clock combo (and I really don't want to).

If that isn't the root problem, then i agree it's too buggy to use, that problem comes up too frequently. I have a setup im happy with, but untested for it, but if that issue is going to happen anyway, then yeah. im not going to use it anymore, look for other solutions and avoid fishing as much as i can.

My setup idea is basically, have a small tank "breeder tank" 8-16 squares of water with a tame pacu you need to feed in it, and another tank "Infinite tank" (size doesnt matter, i'd make it 8 squares to be safe) of water. get auto sweepers and conveyors to move eggs from both tanks to the air next to the infinite tank, the fish that are born should just flop into the infinite tank.

Since overcrowding, glum and hungry. still let pacu breed 1 egg before they die. the only status you need to avoid is cramped, which is egg related, and the eggs don't count outside the tank. So technically you should be able to have infinite pacu inside the infinite tank (hence the name). So long as you check if the tame pacu is still alive, and move 1 egg back accordingly, this should make infinite pacu over time.

Untested though. But it does mean you avoid the whole feeder out of water if it works

I am all too familiar with that. I'm trying to see how fast I could cheese carnivore in my playthrough. I am probably better off going for shovevoles eggs starting at cycle 24. Someone already posted an early game build for ranching starving voles so I might adapt that into my base.

I guess I'll file a report then for the feeder.

Hey, we did it guys! We Reached 10,000 bugs in the bug tracker. Can my prize be a sticky for ONI University :lol:

Just now, Corpserule said:

figures that  someone already figured it out, sounds like it works, can't know that before i post it, it's not like farming fish is a pinned topic

Did you find another thread to this?

55 minutes ago, Corpserule said:

My setup idea is basically, have a small tank "breeder tank" 8-16 squares of water with a tame pacu you need to feed in it, and another tank "Infinite tank" (size doesnt matter, i'd make it 8 squares to be safe) of water. get auto sweepers and conveyors to move eggs from both tanks to the air next to the infinite tank, the fish that are born should just flop into the infinite tank.

If you're talking about this, then I can give you some links to a few other pacu builds. This idea does exist already, but everyone has their own spin to it.

6 hours ago, Corpserule said:

That was my idea too.

I don't want truly infinite Pacus though, so I came up with idea to limit the large tank: only move as many eggs into it as you want and move excess eggs to a small water pit with a storage container. I don't want to eat the eggs either since they are low quality food (though you could). So an auto sweeper moves the eggs into the container. This makes them lose viability over time and they drop raw eggs and egg shells when they go bad. The raw eggs rot over time and then turn into a rot pile, which can be composted. Or maybe fed to sage hatches or poke shells, depending on your needs.

So long as you check if the tame pacu is still alive, and move 1 egg back accordingly, this should make infinite pacu over time.

Even wild Pacus lay one egg before they die. With the breeder tank you just need to automate it properly. The critter sensor counts both eggs and live critters. So it will never move out too much even if the Pacu has died.

I made a messy prototype with that yesterday and it seemed to work. I also noticed the fish feeder not working properly if the water level is even a tiny bit too low. The bottom tile seems to need about 900-1000kg of water pressure or the fish won't go to the spoon. Not intuitive at all as the spoon is placed much lower

Another weird thing: apparently Pacus can see each other through mesh tiles. If you separate them only by mesh they can still become overcrowded, though for the sensors for example they're in different rooms

Well, that would work too :) Duh! Then you may really need add back an egg some time. Not a big deal really

With my somewhat over-engineered idea you'd convert a little bit algae into dirt. Not sure if that's worth it. The egg shell could be interesting for lime production though! Pacus are probably the best source of egg shell if you are short on that

My fish eat from the lowest tile here:

image.png.0bd6bcca7a674cfca455a3851bb07199.png

I noticed you have that one blocked.

No problems with refills on my end, but I know "it works for me" does not a bug unmake. Still, maybe worth trying rearranging your setup.

Archived