Colony Showcase: Starjack Citadel - 36 Dupes, Cycle 575

Starjack Citadel

Welcome, shareholders, to Gravitas facility 1732269961-C. Please ensure your mindframe is secure and keep your hands and feet inside the colonies info-sphere at all times. Additionally, please refrain from interacting directly with the organic inhabitants, as we've found that existential crises are not conducive to efficiency.

UXtRnGq.jpg

Click here for full-size image

Facility '61-C utilizes the "Starjack Citadel" template, an aesthetically-pleasing geometric design with 4-way symmetry, constructed around a central shaft. The template splits the facility into literal spheres of influence, each area of the base dedicated solely to a particular focus.

To stress-test the facility template, the organic inhabitants were all printed with miserable immune systems and a heightened stress response.This has caused some... *ahem* problems...but please rest assured that the so-called "hundred cycle vomitpocalypse" was grossly overstated.

Of additional note, this facility was built in a location with no available water, slush or polluted water geysers. All potable water in Starjack Citadel comes from steam vents.

We'll start our tour in the residential zone, built in the central 'spokes' of the facility.

Residential Zone

TStyU5x.jpg

Click here for full-size image

The residential zone houses 34 productive duplicants and Meep, plus an alien shapeshifter pretending to be Ruby (click here for the story behind that). It includes facilities for food, bathroom, recreational, sleeping and medical requirements. Oxygen is provided through the use of open-air electrolysis, and the entire base is cooled to a comfortable temperature via a cooling pipe radiater built into the floors.

Most base facilties have undergone extensive renovation since their initial construction, with the duplicant-favored decor-and-ladder spam replaced with clean lines and a minimalist, modern design. There still remain some exceptions to this rule however.

The base is centered around a transit-tube highway network that utilizes straight lines to reduce commute times to a minimum. This tube network passes through the Starjack Citadel Botanical Gardens, an artificial nature reserve constructed in the bases central corridor with the aid of local wildlife.

Agricultural Sphere

wpDhKgg.jpg

The agricultural sphere, positioned on the western spoke, produces vegetable matter for the colonies consumption.As Starjack Citadel subsists entirely on Frost Burgers, the primary exports are Sleet Wheat grain and Waterweed lettuce.

Like the residential sphere, this location has undergone substantial renovations.Earlier in the colonies history it produced Dusk Cap mushrooms and Bristle berries, substantial stocks of which are due for composting now that sustainable burger production has been established.

The decision was made to grow waterweed 'naturally' in artificial sand beds rather than in hydroponic tiles to reduce the resource requirements and compensate up for the colonies lack of a salt-water geyser. Sand was chosen over dirt to more accurately reflect the plants natural habitat.

No science has been done to establish whether this makes it grow faster, but it is aesthetically pleasing, which is a good enough reason for Gravitas.

Ranch Sphere

CVLi5r0.jpg

Found on the eastern spoke of the citadel, this facility is the primary meat producer for the citadel. 

Plans have been made to convert it into a zoo for every critter morph and get meat instead from Shove Vole and slickster ranching, but our duplicants have not yet found the time.

Space sphere

1ljLTJG.jpg

The center of operations for the colonies space exploration and mining efforts, this facility includes two rocket launch pads (the second one is still under construction) and an exosuit tower for space access. This facility also serves as a temporary saltwater reservoir.

While it would be trivial to refill from the subsurface ocean, the colony will instead move to rely on more sustainable sources of water when it runs low, such as the steam geyser in this sphere, which has been temporarily capped while we work on a better system for it Unlike the other steam geysers harnessed by Starjack Citadael, which are cooled down directly to produce potable water at the cost of power, the geyser here will be heated to run turbines. The space sphere's lack of symmetry is a result of this geyser.

Power Sphere

7SHAAvf.jpg

Despite an abundance of oil, baseline power for Starjack Citadel is primarily derived from Natural Gas and Hydrogen, buoyed by a distributed network of renewable solar and steam. Coal shipped from the Hatch ranches provides backup power.

It was necessary to improvise the design of this sphere to account for the two natural geysers and the ruins of historical significance present here, which have not been entered out of respect for the World That Was. The power sphere and it's accompanying infrastructure has been renovated several times.

The facility also includes a Petroleum Steam Reactor to make power off of a pair of steel petroleum generators running at 265 C. We don't really need the power, but the Co2 is useful for slickster meat.

Manufacturing Sphere

U156VHK.jpg

This is where 'clean' manufacturing and refinement work happens. All the stations here require duplicant operation and do not produce waste gasses or liquids. Heat above 125C produced by this process is used for power in the heat sink, while the remainder is ejected into the environment and cooled with a pipe radiator in the floors.

Extreme Temperature Sphere

v0Yqk7E.jpg

A minor volcano and an AETN in the vicinity of this sphere provide heat and cold respectively for regolith melting, petroleum boiling and carbon/chlorine freezing purposes. The boiler currently has a few fatal flaws: regolith melting and igneous rock extraction needs to be automated (currently I'm sending in the regolith manually when it's needed) and I need to work out a way to submerge the igneous rock in molten lead for faster heat extraction, but without boiling the crude too fast and making sour gas. Also, I'm pretty sure we're losing a lot of heat to magma freezing. Not that I'm too concerned about that: we have no particular need for petroleum.

We have a better design for a petroleum boiler ready to go, though it will mean dismantling our carbon and chlorine freezers.

Natural Gas Sphere

yBxkooB.jpg

A large, state-of-the-art Natural Gas battery. Stores gas from the geysers for when they go dormant. Not much more to say about it.

Gravitas Directors Facility

V2S7j2q.jpg

As the Gravitas Facility is considered to be of historical import, significant renovations have been avoided.We have, however, utilized it for the production of LOX and LOH, and added some satellite dishes.

Solar Array

ILkwJuB.jpg

Just solar panels. Not an optimally efficient design, but it provides symmetry for the gravitas facility. Still needs a bit more cleanup.

Slickster Pens

dlhZA4T.jpg

A7P0sb2.jpg

Again, these were built more for symmetry than anything. They are not currently being utilized in an efficient manner and are frankly a bit of a mess, but we do plan to change that.

Other sites of note

Steam Geyser Tamer (x3)

JRcWFo6.jpg

We have three of these on the map. They're optimized to be compact modules, but remain quite effective at condensing the water from steam geysers.

Metal Volcano Tamer (x2)

fH5pEJa.jpg

We have two of these for our Iron and Gold Volcanoes. They make the hot metal available to duplicants while it's still cooling, but we haven't found that to be a problem because hot metal gets reset to warm temperatures when you use it for construction.

Frozen Core Hydrogen Vent

.jpgZynVAlO.jpg

The gas pump here is the very first thing we built out of Thermium. The Vent tamer used to include wheezeworts to extend the steel pumps lifespan, hence it's size

Pressurized Oil Storage Cavity

Qo763DN.jpg

Included in this list because I like the water lock. Full disclosure, though: once it' gets water and petroleum in it, it can cause problems. We desperately need to pump those out.

Unbuilt Sphere

undefined.jpgBL1JK3r.jpg

Will probably need to be another saltwater reservoir for a while, for obvious reasons.

Final Note (OOC)

Lessons learned:

• Remember to leave some space for transformers. I never had enough room for them.
  • Electrolyzer canopies like I'm using here are very effective. I'm not sure if leaving room around the electrolyzer is necessary for maximal effectiveness, or if I'm just being superstitious.
  • Not having a single reservoir for each liquid makes your plumbing complicated.

There's still lots I'd like to do here, but quite frankly I've lost interest in this colony for now. Maybe I'll come back to Starjack Citadel one day.

Regardless, I'm proud of how it came out. This is handily my best colony to date.

I've attached the save file if you want to take a closer look. Seed is 1732269961, using this worldgen mod: 

Cheers,

Quasar

Starjack Citadel.sav

Woah it's a beauty. I just finished my first colony at cycle 3k. It is an absolute mess! Like a mad inventors lab after an explosion. This is inspiration to make the next one a little bit prettier, now that I know both what can be achieved, and how all the stuff works! Thanks for posting.

Archived