Preferred combat/negotiation ratio?

Hi, I just got Prestige 7. My ratio was 12 combats to 26 negotiations. Is this normal for you? I find myself spending every shill on combat. Combat seems way harder than negotiation, but maybe it's just me because I should be fighting more and upgrading, but I keep finding myself too low on hp to grind in combat. I usually play Bleed+Discard and Diplomacy builds.

What are your thoughts?

Gongratz with P7!

Interesting question about preferrences. (Would be nice to have some sort of end game recorded statistic).

My usual ratio is fight 40%\negotiation 60%. But when I go crazy it's something about 80\20. :D

What do you meen by saying "spending every shill on combat"?

3 hours ago, s5unaMe said:

What do you meen by saying "spending every shill on combat"?

Well, shill is the currency in Griftlands. Any time the game gives me a choice between buffing my combat deck or my neg deck, it's always combat, so graft choices, item purchases, everything is combat focused but I rarely fight because fighting costs too much hp, whereas negging resolve is so easily regained.

Pretty balanced. Usually 15~17 Battles and 15~17 Negotiations.

12 hours ago, hencook said:

Combat seems way harder than negotiation, but maybe it's just me because I should be fighting more and upgrading, but I keep finding myself too low on hp to grind in combat.

I take as much battles as possible on day 1 to make sure I can keep fighting on later days. Sometimes I lose the pre-boss negotiation (day1), but I still find this strategy to be the best one for me.

I usually go hard for negotiation at day 1. Take only 2-3 fights. But always win pre-boss negotiations on every day so have full-stack company.

To win fights I aim on getting Sparring grafts. One is cool two is amazing three is gg :D

I rarely spend money on removing or buying cards at the night market.

In situations where fighting or negotiating give similar rewards, I go for fighting. You get enough negotiations to get by even if you don't prioritize them, you just have to make sure to keep enough resolve before the boss quest of each day. Conversely, if you don't make an effort to get into combat, you  may very well end up underpowered for the boss fights, and you *have* to beat those.

You really want to upgrade your Feints and Sal's daggers ASAP (the former greatly improves your survivability, the latter gives a sizeable boost to your power and lets you start building stronger synergies with your card picks). For the stabs and elbow kicks, prioritize the destroy upgrades, so you see your card picks and your Feints more often. Day 1 fights are considerably easier than later days, so they are great to get xp. Fsshcakes are pretty cheap, you can always eat one or two before the boss fight; Bloated is annoying, but it will disappear once you sleep.

Personally, I think I spend half my money on gifts and half at the market. May hire someone for the occasional quest.

Interesting playstyles guys!

I prefer negotiation because restore resolve much easier than HP. Sometimes I even loose negotiation intentionaly which allows proceed to fight without any drawbacks. So double profit :D 

I prefer upgrade elbow kicks first (because they require much less XP) and stabs. So there is a good chance to get rid of them earlier. But main goal is Fight Dirty. This card is my first-place winner. It provides a lot of flexibility and works with every kind of build.

My feints are usually upgraded at day 2-3 so do Sal's daggers. 

I rarely spend money on removing or buying cards at the night market.

I usually remove cards from both decks at the first 3 days. Most of the time I don't buy any card, but I do buy items, specially healing ones.

Personally, I think I spend half my money on gifts and half at the market. 

The only boons I spend money on are the +5 HP. Or if there's an NPC I don't have on Compendium yet, but that's a completionist decision, not a strategic one hahaha

I prefer negotiation because restore resolve much easier than HP.

For me, focusing on combat earlier makes it easier to craft a battle deck that generates enough defense/healing so HP isn't a problem on days 3 and 4. I usually die on Drusk/Shroog if I negotiate too much and fight too little on days 1 and 2.

My feints are usually upgraded at day 2-3 so do Sal's daggers. 

I try to upgrade Sal's Daggers as soon as I know whether I'm playing Bleed or Combo. The basic version sucks.

51 minutes ago, Hraklea said:

Most of the time I don't buy any card, but I do buy items, specially healing ones.

Interesting point! I do not buy items at all unless I need a 'replenish' effect to get 8-9 cards in hand for discarding\combo purposes.

Negotiations are definitely way easier than combat and chances are they're supposed to be that way. I'll make a negotiation deck that's strong enough to negotiate a high pay and get me through the day and then focus everything else into my combat deck. It's often worth it to take on as many combats as you can without losing out on full regeneration (or dying, that kind of matters too) so that you can upgrade your combat cards with the added benefit of items and resolve gain. When it comes to shill usage, I get Sparring and Surprise attack then stack on as many Sucker Punch boons as I can until about half of the fight is over by the time I end my first turn. It's useful to save up for unexpected events and bribes though. If you've never considered using shills to deescalate or completely remove problems, you'll be surprised just how effective it can be. At the end of the day, I'd say my ratio is about 65% Combat/35% NegotiationAn unstoppable negotiation deck can get you far but it won't beat Oolo. On a side note, I find that the Discard/Diplomatic or Doubt strategy really prevails in this version of the Alpha.

Archived