Enhance Ranching II skill

Right now 2nd tier Ranching skill doesn't add anything except flat skill upgrade.

I'd suggest to rename it to "Critter Breeding" and add some special effects to it.

1. If a creature with mutated egg potential is groomed by a dupe with Ranching II skill, it's bonuses towards any mutated eggs are increased. So a rancher grooming a hatch that's been fed Sandstone has no effect. A rancher grooming a hatch that's been fed Sedimentary will result in much higher chance of a Stone Egg.

2. Additionally, being groomed by 2nd tier rancher could somewhat increase creature's environmental tolerances (to a limited degree, so it's a nice bonus but not something you'd base your gameplay on).

What would dupes without any skill points do? The skill system serves to unlock bonus features, not the base essentials. While wrangling may feel like a basic feature, any critter can always be moved around by egg. It just takes a while.

It would be nice for the top tier skills to unlock more bonus features, but don't make ranching useless without skill points.

14 hours ago, bobucles said:

What would dupes without any skill points do? The skill system serves to unlock bonus features, not the base essentials. While wrangling may feel like a basic feature, any critter can always be moved around by egg. It just takes a while.

It would be nice for the top tier skills to unlock more bonus features, but don't make ranching useless without skill points.

you cant tame critters if none of your dupes have the ranching skill

I have set up my skill tweaking mod to Move the Wrangling feature, to Farming 1: I left the Grooming Station for Ranching Level 1.
I have taken a look at requiring the Shearing Station to have a Perk requirement, but I didn't find an easy hook in to implement this. Otherwise I would have added that requirement as a perk and added it to Ranching 2.
This tweak is best combined with my other mod: Reorganized Research where I made a seperate line for Ranching and put the Critter Drop Off Point on the first step. This way, you can have Farmers, quite soon Wrangling critters and move them to the desired location.
Taming them is still reserved for Grooming Station usage, so I find this fairly balanced.

Archived